• HTML tutorial

smallfrye

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Colorado
Member #

Trying to start my yearly trip/vacation planning and I'm considering running the Oregon Back Country (California to Washington route) or Washington Back County Discovery Routes and I have some questions.

1. Best time of year to go? end of July/August time frame is what I'm thinking
2. Camping locations? Regulations/red tape?
3. Points of interest?
4. Fuel stops (the Washington route from what I've seen shouldn't be a problem)
5. Sections/areas to watch out for (the Washington route seems to have one section that will pinstripe up your vehicle pretty good and recommended to route around it)?
6. Best place to get the GPS route (I know the 2 websites for these two routes)?
Right now I just have the benchmark maps. I need to get a new GPS.

Like I mentioned I'm just starting my research so don't flame me too bad for asking these questions. Right now I'll be running the route solo.

Last edited:

badmnky

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

PNW E. WA
Member #

Trying to start my yearly trip/vacation planning and I'm considering running the Oregon Back Country (California to Washington route) or Washington Back County Discovery Routes and I have some questions.
I'm glad you posted this, I'm thinking of doing the WA route in that same time frame with a bunch of my friends from Spokane and Tri-Cities. I'm pretty new so I don't even know what question I might forget to ask!

Posted via mobile. OB# 3459

Reactions: Dustin S. Godtfring

daPitbull

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Oakland, CA
Member #

We did it this past summer, end of June. Lots of downed trees, washouts, and snow at higher elevations. With this winter snow, I'm sure snow will be on the trails well into July. Bring a chain saw! Awesome trail.

I've got a trip report here some where.

badmnky

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

PNW E. WA
Member #

We did it this past summer, end of June. Lots of downed trees, washouts, and snow at higher elevations. With this winter snow, I'm sure snow will be on the trails well into July. Bring a chain saw! Awesome trail.

I've got a trip report here some where.
What areas were the most problems in? I want to do the chunk that was posted elsewhere, which is a small stretch south of Ellensburg.

Posted via mobile. OB# 3459

Reactions: Dustin S. Godtfring

daPitbull

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Oakland, CA
Member #

Toyo4x4

Rank 0

Traveler I

It has been a pretty strong winter so i would probably wait until at least mid July for either. If you do the OBCDR I highly suggest taking an extra day or 2 and heading to Hart mountain. Anatole refuge and the Steens Mountains. They are off track a ways but they are pretty amazing.

Reactions: RainGoat

AprilC

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rocklin, CA
Member #

How did your trip go? We are thinking about taking one or more of the route in 2 days and wanted to hear about the good and bad of the trails. Did you have just one rig and was it ok? Thanks!

1. Best time of year to go? end of July/August time frame is what I'm thinking
2. Camping locations? Regulations/red tape?
3. Points of interest?
4. Fuel stops (the Washington route from what I've seen shouldn't be a problem)
5. Sections/areas to watch out for (the Washington route seems to have one section that will pinstripe up your vehicle pretty good and recommended to route around it)?
6. Best place to get the GPS route (I know the 2 websites for these two routes)?
Right now I just have the benchmark maps. I need to get a new GPS.

Like I mentioned I'm just starting my research so don't flame me too bad for asking these questions. Right now I'll be running the route solo.

RainGoat

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Redmond, WA, USA
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Could you share what section of the WABDR you are referring to in #5? Thanks!!

RainGoat

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Redmond, WA, USA
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Davis
Member #

just let the pinstripes happen , it's gonna happen anyway if you explore around the pnw
Yep, not a problem for me but I’m sometimes with a mixed group & it’s good info to let people know beforehand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro