summer trip 17, around the 4 corners area

• HTML tutorial

Big E

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Morganton, NC
Member #

I am heading out his summer on a trip. Kinda long trip but looking for advice and tips of things to see and do on the way.

1. Tuweep overlook on the north rim of the grand canyon. This is a present for my wife. Going in on the sunshine route, Mt Trumball road.

2. Escalante Staircase-Burr Bullfrog road into Capital Reef NP. I understand there are 2 slot canyons to hike on in the area. Any other nice areas around the Staircase or things to see???

3, Capital Reef NP. - routes or roads that have good views??

4. Through Moab and into Canyonlands NP. - routes or roads with good views.

5. Rifle CO, Roan Plateau.- just gotta see it from the top.

6. Black Gorge of the Gunnison NP in Colorado, east side seems more remote.

7. Rocky Mountain NP, Colorado.- no idea of what to see and do.

8. Memorial Rock NM in Kansas. just gotta see it.

If you have advice or tips please let me know. Running a fairly stock Tacoma so I am not looking to crawl my way through the rocks. Taking extra fuel and spare tires, recovery gear etc, but traveling solo. Anyone in the area, or with experience please share your thoughts.

Reactions: Captain Chaos

Big E

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Morganton, NC
Member #

Reserved permits for Tuweep, and White Rim Road. Looking forward to these two parts of the trip. Looked into the Hole in Rock road in the Escalante staircase, hope to hike in Spooky and Peek a Boo gulch/slot canyons. After the white rim we might take Potash road out to around Moab. Then its off to Colorado. Camp grounds looked for on the drive out, maps marked and looked over. Any other advice or things we need to see??

CatButt

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Redondo Beach, Ca
First Name
Rem
Last Name
Wyatt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6HMC
Service Branch
USMC
Drive through Bluff, Ut. If you come up from the south hit Canyon de Chelly and Monument Valley on the way there...you can thank me later.

There is a great road(s) to get from Moab to Montrose...the trail is called the Rim Rocker. Just nice fun semi remote roads.

Black Canyon is flowing huge right now...it's normally pretty sleepy but the big snows this year are melting. Cruise up to Lake City from there...it's a cool old mining town and jump off to some great wheeling.

That will get you from north Az to Colo on some cool roads and you get to see some great natural and human stuff.

Reactions: Big E