Suggestions for editing

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!

BcYeti2503

Rank V

Advocate III

Vernon, British Columbia, Canada
Member #

These are completely raw as taken from my camera. The last photo is an in camera filter/jpeg and I do believe i have the raw photo for it. Taken with an olympus omd em1 mark 2 and 12-40 pro lens.
Looking for advice on how people would compose these shots to make them better photos.
All 3 were taken on my first overlanding trip that i did. Went from West coast in British Columbia to Boston, ma to Hoover dam and up. Spent 3 nights in boston visiting family but slept in the tent.
#1.
#2.
#3.

Attachments

Boort

Rank VI

Advocate II

Colorado
Member #

@BcYeti2503
Looking for advice on how people would compose these shots to make them better photos.
I'll take a stab at the night shot.
Regarding Composition:
The Truck, site and Dark Sky to the North are your primary elements. I don't know what was right behind your truck. (Could have been an ugly outhouse) but I would have framed to more center the truck. for a few reasons:
  • The brightly lit hill of rocks / sign on the right take away from the truck and site.
  • There is no room for the subject (Truck) to breathe, the rear bumper is clipped at the left edge of the frame.
  • Shifting the Comp in that direction would allow you to play more off of the constellation Cassiopeia
I faked this by removing the sign and it's shadow with Content Aware Fill then expanded the scene and used Content Aware Fill to add the breathing room. Not perfect but quick to show my thoughts.
Processing:
  • Balance the foreground with the background.
    • Tone down the brightness in the front and bring up some brightness in the sky/midground. Hard to do with the supplied Jpg Much easier with RAW data.
    • Highlight the bright stars to bring out the 2nd subject (Here I used StarSpikes Pro)
  • Mask the hills and reduce noise, spot correct some of the hot pixels
  • Mask the star field and reduce noise in the darks with luminosity mask
  • Warming filter to light in foreground for more of an inviting campfire look
OI000021-BRT.jpg

Boort

Last edited:
Reactions: BcYeti2503

BcYeti2503

Rank V

Advocate III

Vernon, British Columbia, Canada
Member #

@BcYeti2503

I'll take a stab at the night shot.
Regarding Composition:
The Truck, site and Dark Sky to the North are your primary elements. I don't know what was right behind your truck. (Could have been an ugly outhouse) but I would have framed to more center the truck. for a few reasons:
  • The brightly lit hill of rocks / sign on the right take away from the truck and site.
  • There is no room for the subject (Truck) to breathe, the rear bumper is clipped at the left edge of the frame.
  • Shifting the Comp in that direction would allow you to play more off of the constellation Cassiopeia
I faked this by removing the sign and it's shadow with Content aware file. then expanded the scene and used content aware fill to add the breathing room. Not perfect but quick to show my thoughts.
Processing:
  • Balance the foreground with the background.
    • Tone down the brightness in the front and bring up some brightness in the sky/midground. Hard to do with the supplied Jpg Much easier with RAW data.
    • Highlight the bright stars to bring out the 2nd subject (Here I used StarSpikes Pro)
  • Mask the hills and reduce noise, spot correct some of the hot pixels
  • Mask the star field and reduce noise in the darks with luminosity mask
  • Warming filter to light in foreground for more of an inviting campfire look
View attachment 73915

Boort
I can't see the image you posted. It shows just a broken link.
This was all great advice. This is what i am taking from this.
I do have all the pictures in raw. I wanted the sign but my light painting was too bright so maybe a diffuser on my light source. I fully agree with the truck location in this photo and if i don't have one I will remember to make a photo that is more centered over the truck though. And maybe grab a constellation app so I know what I'm looking at. I honestly had no clue I had any set of constellations in view LOL just Stars
To be honest that is where you lost me on editing the photo .I just finally got Lightroom as most of my photos are not altered.

Boort

Rank VI

Advocate II

Colorado
Member #

@BcYeti2503
I can't see the image you posted. It shows just a broken link.
This was all great advice. This is what i am taking from this.
I do have all the pictures in raw. I wanted the sign but my light painting was too bright so maybe a diffuser on my light source. I fully agree with the truck location in this photo and if i don't have one I will remember to make a photo that is more centered over the truck though. And maybe grab a constellation app so I know what I'm looking at. I honestly had no clue I had any set of constellations in view LOL just Stars
To be honest that is where you lost me on editing the photo .I just finally got Lightroom as most of my photos are not altered.
Odd that you can't see the pic. I uploaded it directly to the Forum. The direct link is https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/attachments/oi000021-brt-jpg.73915/ You'll need to be logged int to the forum to view it though.

Having raw you should be able to do a good job of cleaning up the noise and hot pixels in Lightroom.

Light painting being too bright and uncontrollable is why I no longer "light paint" and have switched to a very diffuse LED panel with very low output. It lets me adjust the lighting to better suit the subject and is controllable shot after shot.

Truck does not need to be centered just not partially off frame, sort of like chopping a joint in a portrait, Needs to be all in or cut off in an expected way. Not 98% in frame. :smiley:

If you did not know which constellation your were framing up you did a great job highlighting Cassiopeia and the North Star.

All of my changes to your image were done in Photoshop, that way I did not have to import your photo to do the quick edits.

For some good beginners input on photographing and processing the Night sky I recommend:
Boort

Reactions: BcYeti2503