Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Oakland, CA, US
First Name
James
Last Name
o'Brien
Member #

I shared this trick over on the What is your favorite nonessential rig add-on? page...

I attached rock climbing anchors to the backseat lower bolts, in my sedan. Then I use a mini truck bungee net attached to those anchors and the child carseat anchors on the rear deck. That bungee net keeps everything where I put it!

Edit to add pics

Reactions: JCWages and Tinker

H3Coyote

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

MidWest, U.S., by Chicago.
Member #

Hey Low, nice to meet ya..!
I just sold my Virago 1100 Bobber this past week, military injuries were finally getting the better of me.
I totally dig your Subaru choice, they're a great vehicle..! My old Outback went everywhere with very little work.

Reactions: Low594

Low594

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Oakland, CA, US
First Name
James
Last Name
o'Brien
Member #

Hey Low, nice to meet ya..!
I just sold my Virago 1100 Bobber this past week, military injuries were finally getting the better of me.
I totally dig your Subaru choice, they're a great vehicle..! My old Outback went everywhere with very little work.
Sorry to hear that, but I know how that can be... Ive been recovering from a car hitting me in Sept of last year. N broken bones, just soft tissue so its taking its sweet time!

GratefulFozzie

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Pittsburgh
Member #

Are the Tacoma struts the same year as the Baja, and is this a direct fit? How much clearance can you game with this switch?! Love the look of your baja!

Low594

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Oakland, CA, US
First Name
James
Last Name
o'Brien
Member #

Are the Tacoma struts the same year as the Baja, and is this a direct fit? How much clearance can you game with this switch?! Love the look of your baja!
SubieFish makes an adapter tophat from the Taco topmount to the Subi Strut Tower, 2" lift minimum if I understood right. They can do it using Gen1('95-'04) Taco or Gen2('05-'15) Taco, but they recommend using the Gen1. With that you can use any stock length Taco coils, I'll be using Fox Racing progressive springs.

Thanks, mines an Outback Sedan, but Ive thought about just telling people its a super rare Baja Sedan! :joycat::joycat::joycat:

Last edited:
Reactions: GratefulFozzie

Baja-bro

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Oak Harbor WA
Member #

Very nice! I think Mike sent me a pic of your Baja on ramps next to another Baja on ramps! How many miles have you had the kit in? Im really anxious to get this done and put it to use! When I was up at their shop we talked about a few of ways to improve on these cars, so there could be some even better products coming down the pipe in the future!

I love that your Baja is parked next to a 510, one of my all time favorites!
I had the kit in for about 3 oil changes. Roughly 9k. Handling is great on and off road. I disconnected my sway bar in the back and with the added strength of the tacoma struts and springs you can't even tell most times.

Low594

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Oakland, CA, US
First Name
James
Last Name
o'Brien
Member #

The internals of a shock/strut/moto fork have disk with precision holes drilled to control the speed of the oil/air movement thru the internal body (there are many other parts as well) that is how they control the speed of compression and expansion of the unit. Different manufacturers come up with different combos for this using hole size and oil viscosity. Some combos work better than others. 1 shock may look the same and have the same mounting system externally, but it you put a shock meant for a Toyota pickup on a Ford F350 with a diesel or vice versa, you will be very disappointed!

I hope that didnt make things more confusing!

Reactions: Wawa Skittletits

Low594

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Oakland, CA, US
First Name
James
Last Name
o'Brien
Member #

I had the kit in for about 3 oil changes. Roughly 9k. Handling is great on and off road. I disconnected my sway bar in the back and with the added strength of the tacoma struts and springs you can't even tell most times.
Good to hear!

GratefulFozzie

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Pittsburgh
Member #

SubieFish makes an adapter tophat from the Taco topmount to the Subi Strut Tower, 2" lift minimum if I understood right. They can do it using Gen1('95-'04) Taco or Gen2('05-'15) Taco, but they recommend using the Gen1. With that you can use any stock length Taco coils, I'll be using Fox Racing progressive springs.

Thanks, mines an Outback Sedan, but Ive thought about just telling people its a super rare Baja Sedan! :joycat::joycat::joycat:
Cool man thanks!

GratefulFozzie

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Pittsburgh
Member #

Low594

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Oakland, CA, US
First Name
James
Last Name
o'Brien
Member #

I would like to know more about the subiefish bumpers? Is everything made to order, or do they prefab some stuff?
I believe they are doing batches of the bumper brackets. Send them an email, they respond pretty quick. They are currently updating/building their webpage so there's not much beyond contact info and some pics on there.

Low594

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Oakland, CA, US
First Name
James
Last Name
o'Brien
Member #

I went down to Boulder Creek to SubieFish yesterday after work and we got my front bumper installed!

Im super happy with it, its hard to believe it was designed for a Jeep TJ and not a Subaru! It didnt add as much weight as I expected! The new bumper weighs 63 lbs including shipping materials and we probably removed 20 lbs of the OEM bumper!

Im really itching to get the lift kit installed and getting new tires and rims!

Reactions: JCWages

Low594

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Oakland, CA, US
First Name
James
Last Name
o'Brien
Member #

Went to meet up with Mountain Roo Sacramento and did a trail run out to Jolly Boys Mine today. Awesome trail and the swim hole created in the mine pit is amazing!

Below pics by Kyle Cunningham

Reactions: Wawa Skittletits

Baja-bro

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Oak Harbor WA
Member #

Went to meet up with Mountain Roo Sacramento and did a trail run out to Jolly Boys Mine today. Awesome trail and the swim hole created in the mine pit is amazing!

Below pics by Kyle Cunningham

Bumper looks great! And that trail looks super fun with that swim spot. Cant wait to see whe. U get the lift. Dont forget to have an alignment done whif Subiefish fish doesn't do it for u.

Low594

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Oakland, CA, US
First Name
James
Last Name
o'Brien
Member #

Bumper looks great! And that trail looks super fun with that swim spot. Cant wait to see whe. U get the lift. Dont forget to have an alignment done whif Subiefish fish doesn't do it for u.
Absolutely! It's getting new inner/outer tierods just to be sure as well!

Reactions: Baja-bro

Low594

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Oakland, CA, US
First Name
James
Last Name
o'Brien
Member #

Been super busy the last few weeks between work and installing the monster lift! Getting tires and rims soon!

At the SubieFish booth at Bay Area Subaru Meet 2018!

SubieFish 5.5" subframe and strut lift with rear Tacoma strut conversion
6.5"-7" travel, 4" down at all 4 corners (2.5" up travel in front & 3" up travel in rear)

Clearances (w/ 215/60r16 = 25" tires; going to 28-29" tires very soon):
Radiator support -> 16.5"
Oil pan -> 10"
Mid-body Pinch weld -> 14"
Rear Differential -> 8"

Misc parts used:
Megan rear control arms
Bilstein 5100 rear struts (fitment from Gen1 Tacoma front)
Fox springs
'04 Outback front swaybar (21mm)(with polyurethane bushings)
SubieFish Swaybar Disconnects (currently Beta testing)
custom built 2.5" catback exhaust w/ DynoMax muffler (too loud, going to add a resonator back in)
Whiteline rear trailing arm bushings

Reactions: MarcosV1017