Manitowoc, WI
First Name
Cory
Last Name
Ripley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD9VKY
I know there are a number of Subie enthusiasts here. But I haven't seen too much technical info, or insight on offroading with them.

We have had our 2010 Outback 2.5i for about 6 years, and living in WI, have gotten it in some deep snow and slush, but haven't actually taken it off road much. We've also camped out of it in state parks and campgrounds a lot, but are doing our first overlanding trip in June.

We have discussed adding some gear to it, but also want to retain the stock(ish) look, and daily driveability.

The big things I'm thinking in the short term are
  • LED headlight upgrade,
  • some kind of compressor (probably portable for now, as budget will be the running limiter for most things),
  • full size spare (any chance in hell it will fit in the spare spot?)
  • some kind of lighting on the rack, mostly for camp, but possibly a bar for front light that would need to be removable
We have good A/T tires that stick like glue, and we aren't planning on anything too strenuous for a year or two at least. We also have a hardshell car top carrier thing (see profile pic) that will house a fair amount of gear and leave room on the rack for some other goodies if need be.

So I ask, what have you used for these things? What kind of gremlins do I need to watch for when modding/adding stuff? I'm pretty good with cars, so the standard maintenance stuff I'm not worried about, mostly looking for specific products and things to keep an eye out for.

Ohhhgeee

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Corona de Tucson, Arizona, United States
First Name
Oscar
Last Name
Guerrero
Member #

I miss my Forester. I installed a lift from ADF and I did things in that car I never thought a Subaru could do. Wife is looking at getting an Outback soon. Will probably install a lift on it too. Subaru’s are tanks! If you take care of your normal maintenance that car will run forever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OrTrek

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Salem, Oregon
Member #

Ripley, there are a number of Subaru forums (Outback, Forester and Crosstrek specific) that may be of good assistance. You can join them (free) or just visit to gain pretty good tech information. For example on lifts, many use spacers (ADF, Primitive, Subtle, others) or springs, especially if carrying weight (King, Mann) or a combination - there are pros and cons to each.

As I'm sure you've experienced, Subies are like mountain goats in the snow and in my experience with my Crosstrek, ditto in sand and mud. But the approach angles on the Outback, Forester and Crosstrek's suck. Plus no low range. I've put 50K on my Crosstrek in less than 2 years. I just know that I can do a lot with this little guy, but I can't go where I take my Jeep. But then again, I'm not wore out after 300 miles and still get 30 mpg even with my roof rack and A/T tires.

Have fun - this is a awesome country to see!

Reactions: Ripley1046

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
I know there are a number of Subie enthusiasts here. But I haven't seen too much technical info, or insight on offroading with them.

We have had our 2010 Outback 2.5i for about 6 years, and living in WI, have gotten it in some deep snow and slush, but haven't actually taken it off road much. We've also camped out of it in state parks and campgrounds a lot, but are doing our first overlanding trip in June.

We have discussed adding some gear to it, but also want to retain the stock(ish) look, and daily driveability.

The big things I'm thinking in the short term are
  • LED headlight upgrade,
  • some kind of compressor (probably portable for now, as budget will be the running limiter for most things),
  • full size spare (any chance in hell it will fit in the spare spot?)
  • some kind of lighting on the rack, mostly for camp, but possibly a bar for front light that would need to be removable
We have good A/T tires that stick like glue, and we aren't planning on anything too strenuous for a year or two at least. We also have a hardshell car top carrier thing (see profile pic) that will house a fair amount of gear and leave room on the rack for some other goodies if need be.

So I ask, what have you used for these things? What kind of gremlins do I need to watch for when modding/adding stuff? I'm pretty good with cars, so the standard maintenance stuff I'm not worried about, mostly looking for specific products and things to keep an eye out for.
Hello and welcome! I'm glad to see that you're enjoying your Outback the way I feel they should be. As you already know I have a 2015 but our wagons are still very similar when it comes to modifications.

Lighting.. I'm extremely anti swapping in LED forward lighting. The current 'bulbs' just don't cut it for me performance wise. They're extremely bright but putting that light on/down the road is where they fail miserably for me. I went with HID lows and with about 30 seconds and a dremel per bulb I swapped in HIR bulbs for highs. The HIR highs put a quality pair of LED bulbs I tried for S&G to absolute shame. Truth be told the stock halogens threw more usable light down range then the LEDs.

Compressor.. I have a Viair 400P that I really like. The duty cycle, performance, and 'automatic function' were the key selling points for me. Viair makes good compressors in different price ranges but whatever you decide to go with I'd recommend as quality of one as you're comfortable spending money on. You need to be able to rely on it to do the job.

Spare.. This is an area where we differ slightly because I believe that you can fit a stock sized tire in the well but it will have to be deflated.

Rack lights.. You can run whatever lights you want up there and use deutsch connectors. They're weather proof and can be easily disconnected/reconnected as needed.

There are quite a few Subaru members so don't hesitate to reach out with any questions you might have.

Ripley1046

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Manitowoc, WI
First Name
Cory
Last Name
Ripley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD9VKY
Ripley, there are a number of Subaru forums (Outback, Forester and Crosstrek specific) that may be of good assistance. You can join them (free) or just visit to gain pretty good tech information. For example on lifts, many use spacers (ADF, Primitive, Subtle, others) or springs, especially if carrying weight (King, Mann) or a combination - there are pros and cons to each.

As I'm sure you've experienced, Subies are like mountain goats in the snow and in my experience with my Crosstrek, ditto in sand and mud. But the approach angles on the Outback, Forester and Crosstrek's suck. Plus no low range. I've put 50K on my Crosstrek in less than 2 years. I just know that I can do a lot with this little guy, but I can't go where I take my Jeep. But then again, I'm not wore out after 300 miles and still get 30 mpg even with my roof rack and A/T tires.

Have fun - this is a awesome country to see!
I am a member of a few I think, but most of those forums don't seem to have the response rate, or personality that OB has. I do look there first when I have issues or questions, but I thought a place on this forum for us was worth a shot. A Crosstrek may very well be our next Subie, but we will have to see once this one is paid off. My wife likes the smaller feel of it for sure, and we won't be getting rid of our 2010. I tell my 8 year old he will drive that car someday.

Hello and welcome! I'm glad to see that you're enjoying your Outback the way I feel they should be. As you already know I have a 2015 but our wagons are still very similar when it comes to modifications.

Lighting.. I'm extremely anti swapping in LED forward lighting. The current 'bulbs' just don't cut it for me performance wise. They're extremely bright but putting that light on/down the road is where they fail miserably for me. I went with HID lows and with about 30 seconds and a dremel per bulb I swapped in HIR bulbs for highs. The HIR highs put a quality pair of LED bulbs I tried for S&G to absolute shame. Truth be told the stock halogens threw more usable light down range then the LEDs.

Compressor.. I have a Viair 400P that I really like. The duty cycle, performance, and 'automatic function' were the key selling points for me. Viair makes good compressors in different price ranges but whatever you decide to go with I'd recommend as quality of one as you're comfortable spending money on. You need to be able to rely on it to do the job.

Spare.. This is an area where we differ slightly because I believe that you can fit a stock sized tire in the well but it will have to be deflated.

Rack lights.. You can run whatever lights you want up there and use deutsch connectors. They're weather proof and can be easily disconnected/reconnected as needed.

There are quite a few Subaru members so don't hesitate to reach out with any questions you might have.
I appreciate the info, this is exactly the kind of stuff I was hoping for. Good to hear your experience with the headlights, and I definitely will be looking into the deutsch connectors, hadn't heard of those (or at least knew what they were called).

@Ohhhgeee Love the look of the lift on the Forester. I haven't had a chance to drive one of those yet, but like them from what I see. I have no doubt that this car will last a long time, though I wish the same could be said for the 2001 Outback I just sold with a blown motor. Apparently the pre-2010 (I think) 2.5s have a tendency to eat rod bearings. I wasn't aware of it until it happened to me, then I bought another block, with a bad rod bearing...

Thanks guys, keep it coming! And I have no problem with this thread being a general Q&A for all things Subaru. Hope to see you on the trail.

Reactions: Wawa Skittletits

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
I've had my Outback for a year and have done some traveling and trailing in it. I have a 2" ADF lift, King Springs, Roof Rack and a Wilco rear tire carrier for the full size spare. I love this thing. Great gas milage, comfortable and is suited for where I like to travel. I have a O Industries MV-50 compressor and it works great. Lights I am contemplating would be a 20"-30" light bar on the roof and wide angle lights down low (mine doesn't have fog lights). These vehicles are dependable so just get in and have some fun. My build thread is in my SIG. Have some great adventures. I'm heading to The Yukon, Northwest Territories and Alaska this summer in mine.

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
I am a member of a few I think, but most of those forums don't seem to have the response rate, or personality that OB has. I do look there first when I have issues or questions, but I thought a place on this forum for us was worth a shot. A Crosstrek may very well be our next Subie, but we will have to see once this one is paid off. My wife likes the smaller feel of it for sure, and we won't be getting rid of our 2010. I tell my 8 year old he will drive that car someday.

I appreciate the info, this is exactly the kind of stuff I was hoping for. Good to hear your experience with the headlights, and I definitely will be looking into the deutsch connectors, hadn't heard of those (or at least knew what they were called).

@Ohhhgeee Love the look of the lift on the Forester. I haven't had a chance to drive one of those yet, but like them from what I see. I have no doubt that this car will last a long time, though I wish the same could be said for the 2001 Outback I just sold with a blown motor. Apparently the pre-2010 (I think) 2.5s have a tendency to eat rod bearings. I wasn't aware of it until it happened to me, then I bought another block, with a bad rod bearing...

Thanks guys, keep it coming! And I have no problem with this thread being a general Q&A for all things Subaru. Hope to see you on the trail.
I used to go on the Outback forums all the but found that most of the knowledge base didn’t extend beyond floor mats and questions about what oil people use. They’re a great sounding board for common issues but when it comes to ‘overlanding’ type things I found it’s easier to get creative. Feel free to ask any questions you might have in the Subaru registry thread. That will reach an already established number of Subaru members and it will keep the thread active so new Subaru members can find it easily.

I've had my Outback for a year and have done some traveling and trailing in it. I have a 2" ADF lift, King Springs, Roof Rack and a Wilco rear tire carrier for the full size spare. I love this thing. Great gas milage, comfortable and is suited for where I like to travel. I have a O Industries MV-50 compressor and it works great. Lights I am contemplating would be a 20"-30" light bar on the roof and wide angle lights down low (mine doesn't have fog lights). These vehicles are dependable so just get in and have some fun. My build thread is in my SIG. Have some great adventures. I'm heading to The Yukon, Northwest Territories and Alaska this summer in mine.
Have you looked into the Rally Innovations/Baja Designs fog light kit?

Reactions: Terry Pickens

DK_XV

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Easton, WA
Member #

I had a nicely done up Crosstrek. The SubaruXV forum was one of the best auto forums I've joined. Great and helpful peeps on there.

And I second the Baja Designs lights. They are stellar! I have a pair on my Colorado.

And lastly, if on reddit, r/battlewagon is full of subies modified in every which way. 2017-03-05%2010.14.15.jpgIMG_20171204_201822.jpg

Sent from my PH-1 using OB Talk mobile app

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
I used to go on the Outback forums all the but found that most of the knowledge base didn’t extend beyond floor mats and questions about what oil people use. They’re a great sounding board for common issues but when it comes to ‘overlanding’ type things I found it’s easier to get creative. Feel free to ask any questions you might have in the Subaru registry thread. That will reach an already established number of Subaru members and it will keep the thread active so new Subaru members can find it easily.

Have you looked into the Rally Innovations/Baja Designs fog light kit?
Not yet, lights are on my wish list after I get back from Alaska.

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Not yet, lights are on my wish list after I get back from Alaska.
Copy that. They go right where the OE fogs would be so its a nice clean installation. Have you upgraded any of your lighting or plan to before the trip?

There is an 'offroad Subarus of wisconsin' group on FB. And a MN one. Also on Facebook is a Subarus offroad international page. Lots of good info there
I make it almost routine to recommend seeking out a local MtnRoo chapter to all new Subaru members. The planned events that happen are a great way to get off road and be comfortable learning how to handle your Subaru in all sorts of environments.

72AAC6B3-050D-4E24-BC6B-011242C70CA2.jpeg C29A4A17-8955-449E-A3B4-CEEF92971CB5.jpeg AD906089-05D4-4290-8C5E-4DFA24123190.jpeg

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
Copy that. They go right where the OE fogs would be so its a nice clean installation. Have you upgraded any of your lighting or plan to before the trip?

No, it will be summer (July-August) that I go and it stays light late, past 9PM. I plan to be set up in camp by that time.

OrTrek

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Salem, Oregon
Member #

I had a nicely done up Crosstrek. The SubaruXV forum was one of the best auto forums I've joined. Great and helpful peeps on there.

And I second the Baja Designs lights. They are stellar! I have a pair on my Colorado.

And lastly, if on reddit, r/battlewagon is full of subies modified in every which way. View attachment 48666View attachment 48667

Sent from my PH-1 using OB Talk mobile app
DK_XV: I remember your Crosstrek from the SubaruXV forum. I also remember following your great build thread. Hated to see you leave. My Trek is very similar to yours - sport grille, color, etc. I have been thinking it's time to add the Mann springs - as at times I carry some weight and like how the Manns are progressive. So I will go back to the Subie forum and review your build. Maybe others would get a benefit from it. Can one link to it, maybe on the Subaru Registry section??? Anyway that was a great Trek. Liking the Colorado?

DK_XV

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Easton, WA
Member #

DK_XV: I remember your Crosstrek from the SubaruXV forum. I also remember following your great build thread. Hated to see you leave. My Trek is very similar to yours - sport grille, color, etc. I have been thinking it's time to add the Mann springs - as at times I carry some weight and like how the Manns are progressive. So I will go back to the Subie forum and review your build. Maybe others would get a benefit from it. Can one link to it, maybe on the Subaru Registry section??? Anyway that was a great Trek. Liking the Colorado?

Thanks! And Your icon is a little like looking into the mirror! LOL
I'm not gonna lie, getting rid of the Crosstrek was really, really hard to do (don't tell anyone, but I shed a little tear, the first time out of all the cars I owned and sold). I absolutely loved it. I traded it as it was, and it was bought promptly by a local guy who really is enjoying it. I put a post it note in the owners manual with my forum name and how to find the build thread. So he's on there now.
But in addition to the XV I had a F350 I was still paying off. I actually purchased the Crosstrek on a whim, as I really was shopping for the Colorado diesel, but wasn't able to swing it then, so I got the Crosstrek. But after a year, rational financial thoughts finally won over and I had to consolidate. So yes, I am totally loving my Colorado, as it is what I wanted for several years, and its been living up to my rather high expectations. But I just wish a genie could have paid off the XV so I could have kept it as well! LOL

And the mann springs were awesome! It was a little sportier, but never harsh. It was just a little beast, nothing within reason stopped it.

And here is my build thread you are talking about - http://www.subaruxvforum.com/forum/subaru-xv-members-journal/104489-dx_xvs-subaroo.html
I'm not too sure I'm on the subaru registry, but please, do share or point me where to share. I'm glad you like the thread. I hoped to get people inspired, and had a ton of parts and processes posted.

OrTrek

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Salem, Oregon
Member #

Funny, I was thinking the same thing on the looks - they're brothers. I'll let you post the link. It's just on the forum at Overland Discussion/Subaru Owners Registry (as of now on the 2nd page 4 down). You deserve the credit. Though you'll have to admit to all that you went to the dark side (or bright side) on going from Subaru to Chevy (:. Plus I'll have questions for you on the spring set up which may be of benefit to the registry. I really like the concept of springs/spacers vs. spacers only that you did.

BTW - I really like the Colorado's, so will be on the look out on your views/builds on this forum. Take care - get down to Oregon give a shout.

Reactions: DK_XV