Brian
Last Name
Washburn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6GBW
Service Branch
US Army
Hello everyone, it's been awhile since I've been able to post. I used to run a Jeep with a Motorola UHF radio in it but will soon be getting into a Subaru Crosstrek. I'm wondering if anyone has managed to squeeze a dual band ham radio into one of these things? I'm sort of considering an Icom IC-2730 or something similar. If anyone has pictures that would be awesome!

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
Hello everyone, it's been awhile since I've been able to post. I used to run a Jeep with a Motorola UHF radio in it but will soon be getting into a Subaru Crosstrek. I'm wondering if anyone has managed to squeeze a dual band ham radio into one of these things? I'm sort of considering an Icom IC-2730 or something similar. If anyone has pictures that would be awesome!
Did not do it myself, however there is a lot of room under the seat if I remember on mine (2016) I loved mine but I got tired of shifting it.
LOL
Zim

TheBronze

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Montebello, CA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Washburn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6GBW
Service Branch
US Army
I figured under the seat would be the only real option. The dash space is pretty sparse as well. I'm considering a Motorola XPR with remote mic control head but I really wanted dual band. I hear you on the shifting. That's partly why I got rid of the Jeep. I'm looking at the 2021 with the auto for LA Freeways and the occasional jaunt to a trail head. The Crosstrek seemed a reasonable compromise.

Wandering_Wolverine

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Papillion, NE, USA
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Priest
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K8JOK
Service Branch
USAF
I roll in an Outback. I assume the cross trek is similarly setup. I have my Kenwood D710g mounted under the driver’s seat with the head unit attached to a Ram Mounts seat post mount (mounts to the passenger seat front left mounting bolt). I could take some photos if that would help.

Dcwn.45

Rank IV

Member I

Minnesota
First Name
David
Last Name
Nyman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF0GNE
I have a Yaesu 6000 [dual band] in my 4Runner and the head unit is very small, GF has a new Crosstrek and I think it would be a good fit.

TheBronze

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Montebello, CA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Washburn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6GBW
Service Branch
US Army
Well, a brand new 2021 Crosstrek Sport is now in the driveway. Getting a radio in this thing is going to be a real trial. I may just end up using a hand held and trying to find a way to clip it to the dash or something. Fortunately, I live in the Los Angeles area and we have tremendous repeater coverage. When I'm using simplex it's usually only a few hundred yards so hand held should be fine. Love this car though!

Dipsy30

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor II

Roseburg Oregon
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Robison
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W5FNA
Service Branch
US NAVY
I had a Kenwood TM-D710 In my 2015 Forester. Mounted the head to the left of the gauge closer and the brain/cabling under the passenger seat. NMO antenna mounted on the roof

Reactions: Ubiety

BeerMeMarge

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Camarillo, CA, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Schwarm
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N6RFI
I had an XPR-5550 with handheld control head (HHCH). The transceiver went under the passenger seat and the HHCH rested on the dash with a ProClips mount and a magnetic hangup box. Admittedly the HHCH was too heavy for the part of the dash supporting the ProClip mount. Now it all moved to my Jeep. Doing the same with a Midland GMRS radio with HHCH might work better (at the expense of ham freqs) since I suspect it's much lighter.

Enjoy the Crosstrek! I miss mine.