Stock Toyota GPS Software Capability

• HTML tutorial

CDRice

Rank 0

Traveler I

I am new to this whole thing and have purchased a 2001 Toyota LC100 with navigation. Does anyone know about the capabilities and accuracy of the system. I am primarily wondering if the updated software (2016-current) might be enough to use for forest roads and generally major dirt roads you would find on a good quality roadmap? I know the system wont have full blown off road trails mapped out, but I don't need it for that.

CampWithChin

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Lexington, MA
First Name
Alfred
Last Name
Chin
Member #

I am new to this whole thing and have purchased a 2001 Toyota LC100 with navigation. Does anyone know about the capabilities and accuracy of the system. I am primarily wondering if the updated software (2016-current) might be enough to use for forest roads and generally major dirt roads you would find on a good quality roadmap? I know the system wont have full blown off road trails mapped out, but I don't need it for that.
As my posted listed, OEM navigation system really suck big time.

For 2001 LC100 OEM navigation system, I think you can only get map update till 2014. 2001 Toyota LC100 has a toyota Gen 3 navigation system. Toyota stop providing update map after v13.1 (2014 update). My toyota (2010) has a Gen 6 navigation system. I can get up to the 2017 update. Currently, I'm using 2016 map. For normal highway within US, it's not too bad. Once you get out to Canada, there is no map data. I purchased a $150 Garmin with lifetime map update. Those device help me navigate through North America without any problem. I hope this help.

CDRice

Rank 0

Traveler I

As my posted listed, OEM navigation system really suck big time.

For 2001 LC100 OEM navigation system, I think you can only get map update till 2014. 2001 Toyota LC100 has a toyota Gen 3 navigation system. Toyota stop providing update map after v13.1 (2014 update). My toyota (2010) has a Gen 6 navigation system. I can get up to the 2017 update. Currently, I'm using 2016 map. For normal highway within US, it's not too bad. Once you get out to Canada, there is no map data. I purchased a $150 Garmin with lifetime map update. Those device help me navigate through North America without any problem. I hope this help.
Thanks for the info. Hopefully the unit holds up for a little longer so I can use the climate control features .Good to know it shouldn't be relied on .

NotGumby

Local Expert Germany
Investor

Influencer II

Frankfurt, Germany
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Vinnie
Member #

Service Branch
Army Veteran 11B 54E
My LC150’s Navi is missing so, so many unimproved roads or dirt tracks for every country. In Ireland, Norway, and Iceland, many small paved roads are not on the map. I paid €285 for an update that gave me nothing more than a new version number. I always have a Garmin for hiking with me, with a windshield mount. That’s done the trick. Toyota Navi = No Go.

Lurch II

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

573 Junction Road, Berlin, VT 05602
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Bryan
Member #

Service Branch
Army retired
Even my new 2018 4Runner nav sucks as far as detail is concerned. It will work for on-road navigation OK but I would rely on a dedicated GPS for anything remotely resembling back roads or trails.

Reactions: NotGumby

Mrod

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Portland, OR
Member #

NotGumby

Local Expert Germany
Investor

Influencer II

Frankfurt, Germany
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Vinnie
Member #

Service Branch
Army Veteran 11B 54E
If you are travelling in Iceland, you can add this free mapset to your Garmin. It is the most detailed and accurate set I have found (we even use it during Search & Rescue operations in the Highlands). http://www.ourfootprints.de/gps/mapsource-island_e.html
Thank you, that is a good option, albeit too late! I actually purchased a Iceland topo from Garmin. The download has two versions. Both have contour lines, but one is 3D. They are true Garmin and have the Garmin quality. They’re not sold in the Germany or US Garmin websites. I was able to muddle through Icelandic to find the download on the Icelandic Garmin distributor’s website.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk