Moncks Corner, SC, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Neacosia
Member #

Service Branch
Navy Veteran
I wanted to get thoughts about sticker etiquette for your rig and see if there is some consensus. From the other sticker thread I get that people put stickers that advertise and stickers that have personal meaning. But what’s the how. Stickers can make your rig look like a college car. Too many stickers can block view. If you put stickers on the side rear windows do you have to duplicate so each side has the same? I lived overseas a lot so you wanted nothing on your vehicle that could identify it out of a crowd. Course if it is trail worthy it’s going to stick out. Then what if you upgrade or update to another rig, do you just start from scratch or work to make it resemble you past rig and accomplishments?

LoneStarOX

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

I understand the standing out, having lived in Mexico for years.

My personal thought:
The stickers are the story of the rig, if you change to a we one you start fresh, so I load up with stickers anything related to the adventure; that’s on a trail rig. On. My personal vehicle/daily driver I have very few that will go with the truck.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Because I have one vehicle, and travel almost constantly in rather diverse environments, from back country in desert borderlands to urban centers coast to coast, I choose not to display stickers publicly. I don't have much for windows, but never showed off stickers when I did.

I prefer a low profile and try to keep an official or business-like appearance. I'm often asked if I work for the parks, government, or university research. It works; I haven't had my shit messed with in decades.

To be honest, I think a mess of stickers looks junky on most rigs. With the ever-increasing popularity of adventuring and overlanding and everyone blinging up their rigs to the max, not to mention the vendor world getting in on stickers in a big way, I think stickering up has become rather meaningless for most. Too many stickers are stuck on for the look, not because they mean something.

The few stickers I do display are on my stove, some of my storage cases, and inside my back doors. I get more honest conversation from others that way, and I think it gives off that the few I do show mean more than having 'em stuck all over the place.

0577-blkd-900.jpg

galley_2296-900.jpg

Road

Last edited:

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

No stickers i think they are tacky especially on a newer or personal vehicle. Stickers belong on race cars to earn contingency. If i were paid for diplaying stickers id have no problem. Just not a big fan of giving free advertising even if its a good product being advertised, I'd let the product speak for itself.

Charles M

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wickenburg, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1CJM
I like a few on my rig I put them on the rear window in a place where they do not block my view. On the Tahoe there is a large area on the rear window that is blacked out from the factory so any stickers in that area can not be seen from the inside.

On one side I have National Parks and places I have been to this year. On the other side I have big foot stickers that have the names of places I have been also. Only two permanent stickers on the back an Overland Bound and a Marine Corps sticker.

When they start looking bad I peel them off and make room for future ones. In most cases they only last a year or so anyway...

In the past only products we were getting paid for were on any of our race team stuff and I still feel the same way so, unless I get paid I don't put product or political stickers on my rig.

Wallygator

Rank III

Contributor II

USA
I don't have stickers you can see from the outside of the vehicle. I put them in the door jams now and on the cooler. Really anywhere except on the outside of the vehicle.

Reactions: Sparksalot

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
I dont have too many stickers on my current rig (Spokane Riverkeeper, Roast House coffee, and my OB emblem), just because I havent gotten around to it. I do however have quite a few stickers on my toolbox at work. I understand the whole not wanting to stand out thing, but honestly when my brother in laws car was stolen the first question the police asked was "what stickers does it have on it". So while in rare cases the identifying marks on a vehicle could be used against you, I think for your average civilian its more beneficial.
To the original question, I dont think stickers need to be symmetrically placed on a rig, mine arent and never have been. I also tend not to make my vehicle stickers too offensive (totally different story for my tool box stickers, lol). Finally I always start over with new rigs.