Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Well, I sure didn't get everything done that I wanted to on the 4Runner this summer. But it is time for us to leave on this year's cross-country trip, so what's left to do will just get done later.

Yesterday I took out the driver's side rear seat bottom so that I have access to the floor storage on our trip. After we drop our daughter off at college, I'll tumble the passenger rear seat forward, but that blocks access to the rear 12v outlets.

Heading out, we'll use the same RoofBag we used last year for her suitcase of school clothes, and then store it for our exploration. That worked great last year on the Outback, giving us good dry storage that could later be tucked away. I don't think we'll need to use the hitch-mounted basket we used last year, as she stored most of her stuff in Seattle.

For those of you who want to follow along, see the Instagram and Facebook links in my sig. I post on Instagram, and they get forwarded to Facebook, Twitter, and Flickr. I try to respond to any comments or questions on all of those platforms, and then occasionally post photos on various forums. So the most up to date info is on those social media accounts.

Like last year, we will leave from the Cleveland, Ohio area (this year leaving on Saturday, September 10) and heading west. Unlike last year, we won't be making the trip to Seattle in four days of mind-numbing interstate driving. Our daughter saw all the great places we explored on our return trip last year, and asked if we could leave earlier so she could see some this time.

We will most likely head across Iowa again, but continue west across Nebraska instead of up to Sioux Falls and across South Dakota like last time. Then wander our way northwestward to take in several state and national parks.

This will be a road trip, not an overlanding expedition. We don't have room for camping gear, and will be staying at motels. We usually stop someplace for lunch where we can relax in the camp chairs and make a light lunch. Sometimes, well roll out the awning for some shade, but last year was unseasonably cool, so we welcomed the sun for warmth. And while we are road-tripping, we will still try to explore out of the way places, and hit some forest roads and gravel where we can find them.

I hope you enjoy riding along, and I'll drop in now and then with updates,
Steve

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Still tentative, but something like this, on the outbound leg.

That gets us to Grand Tetons, probably up to parts of Yellowstone again, Smith Rock, Columbia River, and maybe up by Mt St Helens and Rainier.

Last edited:

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Reactions: dubbinchris

scubasteve2002

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Colorado, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Lap
Member #

Have fun and be safe! I will be following this trip. Want to get my wife on a trip one year. Hit some national parks along the way all the way to Yosemite and then climb for a week. Again have fun!!

Reactions: Steve

Mike G

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

San Jose, CA
Member #

Have a fun and safe trip Steve. Don't forget to make sure some of those roads you drive on are dirt roads.

Reactions: Steve

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

We made it to Davenport, Iowa, for our first day's travel. We will be heading to Lincoln, Nebraska tomorrow to meet up with one of Claire's friends. If we are traveling through where any of you guys live, let me know and we can try to get together!

Jose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Peoria, AZ
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

Awesome Steve! I'll be following as well and be safe out their.

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

I met Overland Bound member #1030 yesterday, Joe from Borderland Trailers. This was my first face to face with any member. I got a quick tour of the trailer Joe builds. It has a lot of nice features.

More later

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

We're in Jackson, Wyoming, and spent yesterday wandering Grand Teton National Park.

Here's our track from Gaia showing the 16.56 mile rocky/gravel trail along the Snake s was our first real off road experience with the 4Runner, and it easily went places I don't think I'd have taken the Outback.

We will be heading north from Jackson today for a real quick pass through Yellowstone, then a two-day run to Seattle.

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Uploading photos of the past couple days now that I have an Internet connection that isn't dial-up speed... We are in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho tonight, and will reach Seattle tomorrow.

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

We have reservations here in Bellingham, Washington, at Anthony's for the pre-6:00 sunset dinner for $22 for four courses for Deb's birthday.

Then in the morning, we'll head east for a drive through the North Cascades National Park. We'll try to hit one or two of the unpaved roads on our way. Then were booked at a motel in Omak, Washington Friday night.

Saturday, we'll be heading south to the Grand Coulee Dam, and later to Pendleton, Oregon for the night. I remember a nice pub that we stopped at there last year, so a return trip is in order.

Beyond that, no plans yet. I just wanted to make sure we had a place to stay over the weekend, since there are still a lot of people traveling.

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Here are a bunch of photos since the last dump.

16.56 miles of trail in Grand Teton National Park

Columbia River Wild Horses Overlook

Along the Skagit River on the way to North Cascades National Park

North Cascades NP

Deb's birthday!

Grand Coulee Dam

Somewhere in eastern Washington on WA 21

Cracked windscreen...

Malad Gorge State Park, Idaho

Temple Square, Salt Lake City, Utah

Golden Spike National Historic Site

Along the driving tour of the Golden Spike site

Dinosaur National Monument, Utah/Colorado border

Here's our route as of this coming Saturday night. We'll be in Loveland, Colorado