Steel Pass - Death Valley

• HTML tutorial

DominikF350

Rank I

Enthusiast I

With some trepidation, due to a larger then advised rig, we attempted to cross Steel Pass. Starting from Eureka Dunes, camping at Saline Valley Warm Springs, via Hunter Pass to Race Track in Death Valley.
The new tires did great in all offload conditions providing traction on slick rocks and dug well into the sand and gravel. I did manage to clip the front passenger tire on a rock that no tire is designed to withstand. Sadly, we only had about 500 miles on the new set of tires.
Underground Explorers Overland just happen to be in the area. It was a great reunion and awesome trail crew to help me change the tire.
Lesson learned? Truck / Camper is not too big for Steel Pass, though overhanging trees are it's nemesis.

IMG_5711.jpg

More photos should the post gain some interest.

Mike G

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

San Jose, CA
Member #

With some trepidation, due to a larger then advised rig, we attempted to cross Steel Pass. Starting from Eureka Dunes, camping at Saline Valley Warm Springs, via Hunter Pass to Race Track in Death Valley.
The new tires did great in all offload conditions providing traction on slick rocks and dug well into the sand and gravel. I did manage to clip the front passenger tire on a rock that no tire is designed to withstand. Sadly, we only had about 500 miles on the new set of tires.
Underground Explorers Overland just happen to be in the area. It was a great reunion and awesome trail crew to help me change the tire.
Lesson learned? Truck / Camper is not too big for Steel Pass, though overhanging trees are it's nemesis.

View attachment 103620

Thank you for the information. So how bad was Hunter Pass to the Race Track? I was thinking about doing that trail back in April but I wasn’t sure how bad it was.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307

View attachment 103620

That is one heck of a truck. I love the pop-up camper feature. A great idea when your in between dirt roads. Keeps your cross-section to a minimum. The choice of a FORD (selectable hubs) allows for a easy upgrade to a LSD or full LOCKER in the front. Is it a F350 or F450?

I like the idea of full size vehicles gaining in popularity in the Overlanding community, as it incentives the aftermarket to develop products for us..

Reactions: ScottEtkin

Oliver_Closov

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Santa Clarita, CA
Member #

View attachment 103620

Consider this interest in more photos.
I have a Ram 1500 CC with 6.5ft bed, so I'm not small on trails. It's encouraging to see bigger gals out there working the trails.