Starting from square one

• HTML tutorial

John Worley

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Livermore, CA
Member #

Hello all, I'm sure this has been covered a million times but I haven't found the answer yet. I would like to build an overland rig from the ground up but I need some advice on where to start. I've done a ton of research but I feel like I could do all the reading in the world but it'll never be as good as direct advice. Essentially I’m trying to figure out if I should buy new or if I’m safe with an older model and what’s the best vehicle to start with? I won’t be hitting the Rubicon with this but I want to travel rough backcountry logging roads without having to worry about it breaking down.

Here’s my wish list, any help is greatly appreciated.
· Seating for 4-5 people (e.g. crew cab if truck)
· Over 16MPG (this will also be a commuter vehicle)
· Lots of cargo room
· Lots of rack options (will be carrying 2 large kayaks)
· Possible mounted tent unit
· Under $40k total
· Easy maintenance

So far it’s looking like the Chevy Colorado ZR2 is the dream truck but it’s $10k out of my range. A Toyota Tacoma 4x4 may suit my needs though it’s definitely on the pricey side for even 10-year-old models. A 2011 Land Rover LR2 has my eye as well.

Young Satchel

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

You're a clear candidate for an off-road battlewagon. I strongly recommend a Volvo XC70 [emoji6].

In all seriousness though, it might serve you well to check out something a bit less conventional from Subaru or The Swedes based on the wishlist above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rusty burbin

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hesperia, CA 92345, USA
First Name
Jonah
Last Name
Gregg
Member #

When you say form the ground up, what do you mean?

Because if you go with a pre-smog era rig you have tons of flexibility not mention you can cut, weld, fab and modify as much as you want... this is how my rig sits right now.

If you're more of a bolt on parts kinda guy than a taco or 4runner might be a solid starting point. Its hard to beat the reliability of a Toyota. I've seen those things running strong with like 300k miles on the odometer... crazy!

Sent from my SM-N900T using OB Talk mobile app

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Iowa, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

Depending on budget, a lightly used vehicle is always going to be financially smarter than a new rig. You also are going to get damage or at least love marks from using it, so it hurts less to have a used rig IMO.

I don't follow my own advise, I bought a new (in 2013) Land Rover LR4. I bought it with the intention of doing more 'interesting' trips as my kids got older and the LR4 was less in warranty and shiny. It's tough to swallow banging up a new rig, but I knew exactly what I wanted so I had to swallow that pill.

I think a taco or 4runner is a great choice too, but if you have that special kind of crazy and want something with some serious character, Look at a LR3/LR4 (2005-2016). Great overlanding platform. (Off road beast, Great space, great power 375hp on mine, super comfy air suspension, great visibility from huge windows, etc)

Reactions: Rusty burbin

John Worley

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Livermore, CA
Member #

You're a clear candidate for an off-road battlewagon. I strongly recommend a Volvo XC70 [emoji6].

In all seriousness though, it might serve you well to check out something a bit less conventional from Subaru or The Swedes based on the wishlist above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Like this? lol

Attachments

John Worley

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Livermore, CA
Member #

Depending on budget, a lightly used vehicle is always going to be financially smarter than a new rig. You also are going to get damage or at least love marks from using it, so it hurts less to have a used rig IMO.

I don't follow my own advise, I bought a new (in 2013) Land Rover LR4. I bought it with the intention of doing more 'interesting' trips as my kids got older and the LR4 was less in warranty and shiny. It's tough to swallow banging up a new rig, but I knew exactly what I wanted so I had to swallow that pill.

I think a taco or 4runner is a great choice too, but if you have that special kind of crazy and want something with some serious character, Look at a LR3/LR4 (2005-2016). Great overlanding platform. (Off road beast, Great space, great power 375hp on mine, super comfy air suspension, great visibility from huge windows, etc)
You've got me looking at Land Rovers again. I've just always heard how unreliable and expensive to maintain they are. They do look like fun though!

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Iowa, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

You've got me looking at Land Rovers again. I've just always heard how unreliable and expensive to maintain they are. They do look like fun though!
As long as you stay on top of preventative maintenance, the newer ones are pretty good for being reliable honestly. The number of really critical issues reported on the forums is pretty minimal on LR4.

Some of the parts can be a little pricey, but not insane. It isn't bad if you DIY oil changes, brake jobs and other similar difficulty jobs. These rigs are heavy and they have very beefy suspensions (like more beefy than quarter ton full size trucks) but they also ride very smooth and will wear out suspension bushes faster than some things. So expect to replace control arm bushes and wheel bearings.

I think the past LR reputation is deserved. Some models were just plagued with issues. But I do think it is much better these days. As I said before, I really love the look of the 4 runner. When those are built up they seem great, but they still don't quite check the boxes for me like an LR4.

John Worley

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Livermore, CA
Member #

Thank you all so much for taking the time to give such thorough feedback! It's looking more and more like a Tacoma might be the right fit. I had been looking at new ones but I just came across a 2001 TRD, low miles for only $2000! Now I'm thinking I'll just pick that up and bring it up to date with new parts.