Southern California, CA, USA
First Name
Don
Last Name
Bower
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6HQ
I need to replace the stock fog lights on my JKU, because I bought a Poison Spyder JK Crawler front bumper and the stock ones don’t fit. My Rubicon Recon came with LED fog lights, but the non-removable housing is taller than the bumper itself.

Poison Spyder suggests using Rigid Dullys, and they come in three different configurations, Spot, Flood and Diffused.

Does anyone have any experience using these fog lights? Which ones work best in mountain weather?

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
I prefer flood for trail Led's.

Led's don't suit me for spot throw, at speed. Then, I prefer a halogen, like a Fyrlyt or Liteforce.

Reactions: ag6hq

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

If you want a fog light for fog, rain, snow... buy the fog light, which has a sharp cutoff to reduce reflected glare.
Otherwise on a 4x4 I'd buy the flood. which lights the largest area.
The spot is only useful on an open highway and only needed ifyou are going stupid fast.

No idea what a difused light is but it sounds like a work light, for ambulance scene lighting

Last edited:
Reactions: PNW EXPLR and ag6hq

TXRoamer

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

DFW
If you’re getting rigid lights why not get the SAE version which is made for fog lights? That would be my call... keep them on 24/7 and not piss anyone off

Reactions: ag6hq

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
You should use the legal versions if you actually plan on using them as fog lights. Fog lights just hurt your night vision on the road. Turn them off at speed. And legal or not, be careful not to blind oncoming traffic. Some areas are starting to tire of the off road LED kids, and you might get lumped in with them.

Spots are handy for deer. Too bad that today's street signs are so reflective, that they blind you. Big spot lights should be the last light you buy, not the first.

I tend to go, in order: Ditch lights, front and rear floods, then a pair of spot halogens.

ag6hq

Rank 0

Contributor I

First Name
Don
Last Name
Bower
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6HQ
Thank you all for the advice.
I think I will look for some fog light replacements.
I’m thinking these right now:
Does anyone have any experience with these?

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Thank you all for the advice.
I think I will look for some fog light replacements.
I’m thinking these right now:
Does anyone have any experience with these?
You guys must be crazy rich. I refuse to pay over $100 for a pair of lights. They are out there and my experience is they work as well as $332 pairs.

systemdelete

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Nashville, TN
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Rumbaugh
Member #

You guys must be crazy rich. I refuse to pay over $100 for a pair of lights. They are out there and my experience is they work as well as $332 pairs.
Sometimes it depends on what you expect of the lights. I tried several sets of knock off led floods in my front bumper, but my occasional use with a light controller used for emergency vehicles kept overheating them internally. The Rigids I finally put the $$$ out for take the abuse like a champ and serve the dual purpose wonderfully.

Reactions: Jay61

ag6hq

Rank 0

Contributor I

First Name
Don
Last Name
Bower
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6HQ
Sometimes it depends on what you expect of the lights. I tried several sets of knock off led floods in my front bumper, but my occasional use with a light controller used for emergency vehicles kept overheating them internally. The Rigids I finally put the $$$ out for take the abuse like a champ and serve the dual purpose wonderfully.
Which Rigids did you get?
Can we see a pic?

ag6hq

Rank 0

Contributor I

First Name
Don
Last Name
Bower
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6HQ
I have seen a bunch on Amazon for sub $100, but my knee-jerk reaction to buying cheap is to avoid it, and I have been bit one too many times.
Plus (and I am not saying, one is or one is not, made in China), I also have an aversion to Chinese made products, for geopolitical reasons.

Jay61

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Leesburg Georgia
First Name
Jay
Last Name
Brimberry
Member #

There is an old axiom, "You get what you pay for." When I was younger I was always looking for deals simply because money was tight. In the end, 9 times out of 10, I would end up eventually trading my "deal" out for the more expensive item I should have purchased in the first place. While your life might not turn on whether your fog lights work or not when you are out in the middle of no where, they do make life easier when they are needed. Buy quality and install properly and you will be happy in the long run. Plus, I am comparatively old to most on here and grew up with the round KC Hi Lites pretty much being your only option for off road vehicles and these square or rectangle bars just do not look right to me IMHO.

Reactions: 64Trvlr

64Trvlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
When I started building my Willys I needed wayyyyyy more light than the stock headlights gave me. I spend a lot of quality time in the pitch black dark going down the road to get someplace to camp or explore. The 2 lane roads out here in the west are dark places.

So I got 4 Grote stainless steel lights designed for semis and added them to my bumper. 2 of the lights are 250,000 candle power spots not because I got crazy fast but for lighting up the road to help spot cows, horses, elk, deer, broken down vehicles, holes in the road and in one case someone sleeping in the road. The other 2 point out to the sides at about 40* and have diffused lights for use spotting things on the sides of the road.

I realize the lights are way old school so I went by KC HiLights last summer and spent some time looking at lights and talking with a couple of the guys that work there about better lighting. I'll get a light bar and maybe some small lights for the front and see how they work out later this year.

Here's a photo of what I have now, they're old but work great. ;))IMG_2293_600 copy.jpg

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
My configuration is going tomuse all three. ?. Floods on the corners, diffused down low, and spots high in the middle.