Lou Skannon

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Winnipeg, MB, Canada
First Name
Lou
Last Name
Skannon
Salt, Pepper, Cajun and Herbs de Provence.
During the truck build, the G/F came home with some magnetic spice tins. She was disappointed that they didn't stick to the aluminum diamond plate back-splash. I told her the magnets were probably faulty, so she took them back for a refund.

Reactions: 64Trvlr

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
Fuzzy Dust is good, here is how to make it in bulk

INGREDIENTS:
1/2 cup paprika
1/4 cup kosher salt, finely ground
1/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons mustard powder
1/4 cup chili powder
1/4 cup ground cumin
2 tablespoons ground black pepper
1/4 cup granulated garlic
2 tablespoons cayenne
I have to ask, why start with kosher salt if you need it finely ground?

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
I have to ask, why start with kosher salt if you need it finely ground?
Hummm...good point. I bought a smoker many years ago and started smoking meat. Every recipe for home made rubs required kosher salt, so I read up on it. The primary reason for kosher salt is the flake structure it has and how it better draws water out of meat, etc. It also has less sodium, is pure with nothing added, and has a better taste. I can only assume that the recipe wanting kosher salt finely ground is for the taste and then finely ground so it mixes better and disperses easier than if it was still in flake form. I never gave salt a thought until I got into the brining of meat for smoking. I quit using regular morton table salt because it tastes like shit compared to himilayan, french grey, and of course kosher. But, with all the other seasonings added to the mix, I'm sure regular salt will work fine and I doubt anyone can really taste a difference.

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

I don’t bring much, but here are the ones I do. Kosher Salt, Johnny’s Seasonings, McCormick Montreal Steak, Oregano, and Sage. Vance.

Reactions: grubworm

Tupenny

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder I

Longwood, Florida
First Name
Boulder
Last Name
Dash
Member #

Maldon and kosher salt, small pepper mill and an all purpose home blend of:
- granulated garlic
- granulated onion
- Lowry's seasoning
- course ground chipotle
- smoked paprika
- course ground black, white, red peppercorns

The salt and pepper for seasoning foods while eating and the all purpose works for just about anything being grilled. Bland foods suck on a rainy day!

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Bland foods suck on a rainy day!
hummmm....its ALWAYS raining in louisiana, so maybe that is why they spice the hell out of everything...
here is a good spice, liquid crab boil. i guess they sell it in places other than louisiana?? anyway, it is pretty good to put in water you are boiling potatoes in, etc... one thing i love is to get 3 pounds of kielbasa sausage (hillshire farms, manda, whatever brand is in your local walmart) and cut into 2-3 inch pieces and then put in a pot and cover with water and add a few tablespoons (or more) of crab boil and bring to a boil and let simmer for a 1/2 hr and cut the heat and let it cool in the pan. as it cools, the sausage will suck up the crab boil. i put that in a container and take it camping. it will keep for a week easy in the fridge or ice chest and tastes great on its own or slice it and fry it and make a sandwich or serve like bacon with eggs, etc. you can also add some niblet corn on the cob to the boiling water and cook the corn in that. pretty awesome. (i don't give louisiana props for much, but i do on how they cook!)

crab.jpeg

Reactions: 4wheelspulling

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

hummmm....its ALWAYS raining in louisiana, so maybe that is why they spice the hell out of everything...
here is a good spice, liquid crab boil. i guess they sell it in places other than louisiana?? anyway, it is pretty good to put in water you are boiling potatoes in, etc... one thing i love is to get 3 pounds of kielbasa sausage (hillshire farms, manda, whatever brand is in your local walmart) and cut into 2-3 inch pieces and then put in a pot and cover with water and add a few tablespoons (or more) of crab boil and bring to a boil and let simmer for a 1/2 hr and cut the heat and let it cool in the pan. as it cools, the sausage will suck up the crab boil. i put that in a container and take it camping. it will keep for a week easy in the fridge or ice chest and tastes great on its own or slice it and fry it and make a sandwich or serve like bacon with eggs, etc. you can also add some niblet corn on the cob to the boiling water and cook the corn in that. pretty awesome. (i don't give louisiana props for much, but i do on how they cook!)

View attachment 122346
grubworm,
That sounds like something I need to look into and see if my local Wally World has! My guess with all the spices mentioned in the thread we have some great chefs or at cooks the try hard and hope to get the chance to Overland and camp with you! You did not say but how does this sauce work with Spam! Haha.Vance.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
how does this sauce work with Spam! Haha.Vance.
hummm....i don't know but will have to find out! I do buy cooked ham and boil it before eating it, I find that gets rid of some of the salt and fat and changes the texture a slight bit...makes a great sandwich. Next time I boil, I'll cube up some SPAM and add crab boil and see.

Reactions: 4wheelspulling