Launch Member

Contributor I

Pennsburg, PA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Harrington
Member #

I am in the process of building out my F-150 and one of the design decisions that has my stumped is the location of my full-sized spare (which I haven't purchased yet). I will be running a custom cap that will be used as my teenage son's slumber chamber, so the bed is out of the question. That leaves me two options: over the roof on a platform or something hitch mounted, like a Wilco. I know there are pros and cons to both.

Other factors I need to consider: My ride is already long - full-sized, crew cab truck with 6.5' bed. My ride will already be top heavy with a RTT on top of the cap.

Which way should I go?

Thanks in advance,
Mike

Reactions: Dirty Ape

Dirty Ape

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Springboro, Ohio, United States
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

I guess the advantage to the hitch mount is that it can be transferred to another vehicle for use & easier to access than adding a roof rack to the cab and putting the spare there. Personally I could go both ways (it looks like you could too), cost would be a factor but the versatility of the hitch mount I think would edge the win all things being equal.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Over the years I have picked up a few tires on the trail where the rear mount broke while the vehicle was driven on a dirt road. The easiest is the hitch mount but, put a ratchet strap on it to keep it from moving back and forth while you drive. The movement will fatigue the mount. If you find it will fit under the bed, make sure the factory hoist will hold the weight. I have the same issue with my off road trailer's spare. I couldn't find a good spot for it so I end up with it on top of my cruiser. Fortunately its only a 33" on a light rim. Still a pain to deal with up there. I'm not a fan of mounting them high.

Rambin Fever Overland

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Pennsburg, PA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Harrington
Member #

I guess the advantage to the hitch mount is that it can be transferred to another vehicle for use & easier to access than adding a roof rack to the cab and putting the spare there. Personally I could go both ways (it looks like you could too), cost would be a factor but the versatility of the hitch mount I think would edge the win all things being equal.
Thanks for your input. The roof rack will happen eventually, whether the tire goes up there or not. I could use the hitch mount setup on my '95 Bronco as well so that does score points. Decisions, decisions.

Reactions: Dirty Ape

Rambin Fever Overland

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Pennsburg, PA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Harrington
Member #

Over the years I have picked up a few tires on the trail where the rear mount broke while the vehicle was driven on a dirt road. The easiest is the hitch mount but, put a ratchet strap on it to keep it from moving back and forth while you drive. The movement will fatigue the mount. If you find it will fit under the bed, make sure the factory hoist will hold the weight. I have the same issue with my off road trailer's spare. I couldn't find a good spot for it so I end up with it on top of my cruiser. Fortunately its only a 33" on a light rim. Still a pain to deal with up there. I'm not a fan of mounting them high.
I definitely don't want to leave a wheel behind on the trail. Thanks for the advice. I have seen a few people fit a 35" under their trucks. I will research this option more to make sure it will hold up to the pounding.

Reactions: smritte

Rambin Fever Overland

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Pennsburg, PA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Harrington
Member #

Have you ever tried to pull a tire down from the top of a vehicle? More importantly have tried to put it back? I do a lot of solo traveling and it is not easy slinging 35in tires around. You can possibly hurt your vehicle and most definitely hurt your back.
Sage advice. I will have to hit the gym if I go the high route!

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I've had maybe 4 flats in 45 years of driving. I was always glad I had a spare but why go full size? When you have your first flat in 10 years, just put on the skinny factory thing, drive smart, ie SLOW and get the tire repaired. Crazy to waste space on something you rarely use.

Rambin Fever Overland

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Pennsburg, PA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Harrington
Member #

Several people online reference the Raptor's ability to carry a full sized spare underneath the bed. Once I purchase a 35" spare, I'm going to try that first. I should definitely plan to do the add-a-leaf around the same time!

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
Have you ever tried to pull a tire down from the top of a vehicle? More importantly have tried to put it back? I do a lot of solo traveling and it is not easy slinging 35in tires around. You can possibly hurt your vehicle and most definitely hurt your back.

THIS! It's a heart attack waiting to happen. I started with a roof rack and after one time of taking the tire off and the flat back on top while off road I bought a Wilco Hitchgate Offset, it's rock solid and very well made.

liveoak

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Fallbrook, CA, USA
First Name
live
Last Name
oak
I have been dealing with the same circumstance with my 35 inch spare on my 4Runner. I'm of the thinking that if you have minimal rear overhang as with a jeep, there is no issue with a rear mounted spare but with most vehicles, hanging a large spare off the rear just makes your vehicle even longer and reduces capability off road. Even if you mount in high enough to keep the same departure angle, it can still get in the way like if you're climbing a steep ledge in Moab and have to back up you could easily come down on your tire and even the strongest bumpers can bend the tire into the tailgate when the entire weight of a vehicle is leveraging on it. I've seen it happen.
Putting the spare on the roof causes drag and puts weight where you don't want it, especially in tippy situations. I used to keep my spare tied down flat in the bed and then remove it to sleep in there and then put it back in the morning. I'm never getting a roof top tent for the same reasons I wouldn't carry a tire or gas cans up there so I ended up building a simple sleep platform on top of my spare tire in the bed and am able to store my other crap under it as well. I am loosing about 12 inches of headroom not including the mattress so it's a bit tight because it's a small truck but it solved all my other problems and it's only for sleeping anyway. With an F-150 and
a shell, I would think there would be plenty of headroom compared to mine. It all really depends on what you are looking for, I prefer more capability than comfort.

0330190632b.jpg

Last edited:

Forte

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fountain Hills, AZ, USA
First Name
Colin
Last Name
McW
Member #

Check out Detours of Maine. They make a few different hitch mount spare tire carriers. More reasonably priced than the Wlico if you ask me. https://detoursofmaine.com/
Thanks for the link! I will have to keep them in mind in the future when I buy new tires.

Pretty sure a 31" tire fits in the oem location on my Jimmy, but I've considered mounting a 2 door fuel tank in that location for added range...

Rambin Fever Overland

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Pennsburg, PA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Harrington
Member #

I've had maybe 4 flats in 45 years of driving. I was always glad I had a spare but why go full size? When you have your first flat in 10 years, just put on the skinny factory thing, drive smart, ie SLOW and get the tire repaired. Crazy to waste space on something you rarely use.
I am worried about the drastic difference in tire size approx 31 - 35". I am now hoping to squeeze the 35" into the under-the-bed stock location.

Rambin Fever Overland

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Pennsburg, PA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Harrington
Member #

I have been dealing with the same circumstance with my 35 inch spare on my 4Runner. I'm of the thinking that if you have minimal rear overhang as with a jeep, there is no issue with a rear mounted spare but with most vehicles, hanging a large spare off the rear just makes your vehicle even longer and reduces capability off road. Even if you mount in high enough to keep the same departure angle, it can still get in the way like if you're climbing a steep ledge in Moab and have to back up you could easily come down on your tire and even the strongest bumpers can bend the tire into the tailgate when the entire weight of a vehicle is leveraging on it. I've seen it happen.
Putting the spare on the roof causes drag and puts weight where you don't want it, especially in tippy situations. I used to keep my spare tied down flat in the bed and then remove it to sleep in there and then put it back in the morning. I'm never getting a roof top tent for the same reasons I wouldn't carry a tire or gas cans up there so I ended up building a simple sleep platform on top of my spare tire in the bed and am able to store my other crap under it as well. I am loosing about 12 inches of headroom not including the mattress so it's a bit tight because it's a small truck but it solved all my other problems and it's only for sleeping anyway. With an F-150 and
a shell, I would think there would be plenty of headroom compared to mine. It all really depends on what you are looking for, I prefer more capability than comfort.

View attachment 102073
I hope to squeeze the 35" underneath since it seems others have been able to make it work with an F-150. If that doesn't work out, I might just throw it in the back and pull it out when it's time to bed down.

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

I know that you can stuff a 35" under the Tundra if you trim back the tire brackets underneath...same may go for your truck.

Personally speaking, I have nothing but good to day about my Hitchgate. I've had it on the truck full-time for 2 years and have been all over with it, with no issues whatsoever.

37354288_10155380563101637_96823934539792384_o.jpg

Rambin Fever Overland

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Pennsburg, PA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Harrington
Member #

I know that you can stuff a 35" under the Tundra if you trim back the tire brackets underneath...same may go for your truck.

Personally speaking, I have nothing but good to day about my Hitchgate. I've had it on the truck full-time for 2 years and have been all over with it, with no issues whatsoever.

View attachment 102608
Looks good back there!

Enthusiast III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Huelsman
I have a 35” spare under my 2017 f150. Raptors come with a full size spare as well. I just had to remove the stock heat shield and I picked up an exhaust wrap that clamps to the exhaust with 3 clamps that’ll keep the tire from getting too warm.