Spare Fuel on Jeep TJ

• HTML tutorial

Tudelum48

Rank I

Traveler I

A trip this summer is going to push our fuel range to at least 275 miles 2 different times and I'm looking for opinions on carrying a spare 5 gallons of fuel. There's 2 Jeep TJ's going on the trip both with stock rear bumpers and tire carriers and tires so an extra can on the carrier might be to much? I'm looking at the Moryder carrier that carry's the can in front of the door that attach's to the frame and was hoping some one would chime in that has one? Were going to be running the CDR. 3 of us ran the Continental Divide Run in 2014 on motorcycles and the constant bouncing and shaking shook things loose that had never budged before. I am concerned about carrying an extra 5 gallons of weight on the stock rear spare tire carrier, That's why I'm looking at other options.

Jedi

Rank VI
Staff member
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Ferndale, WA USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McClory
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6JDI
Unfortunately, you are right to be concerned about adding weight to the tailgate/tire carrier. While I haven't used the forward mounted carriers, the design seems solid enough and well thought out. In fact it reminds me of the old Willy's Jeep Jerry can mounts. I think a more important thing to consider is getting a good quality Jerry can, as many of the ones on the market are cheep knock-offs with horrible welds and won't hold up well on the trail. My preference is for the Scepter MFC, however these are not commercially available in the US due to CARB/EPA compliance issues.

Judge

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Woodland Hills, CA
Member #

I have the Morryde Jerry can side mount for my JK. It works great, goes on and off in minutes with just a few screws, is extremely solid and stable, has caused no scratches to the paint or any kind of obstruction. It has been on the White Rim Trail in Utah (100 miles,), Mojave Road (117 miles, ) through miles of Death Valley washboard, all over the Sierras and Mohave Desert as well as thousands of highway miles with no issues whatsoever. I think it is an elegant solution that looks like it belongs on a Jeep! Two thumbs up from me. I'd stick with the NATO Jerry cans...got mine from wavianusa.com. Pick up one of their flex spouts while you're there. Safe Journey!

Tudelum48

Rank I

Traveler I

Judge thanks for the reply. After posting this I found some other reviews and all were positive. Yes the Wavian can is the one I will get. Does it not come with a spout for pouring or are you recommending an alternative spout?
Thanks for replying.

Judge

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Woodland Hills, CA
Member #

Judge thanks for the reply. After posting this I found some other reviews and all were positive. Yes the Wavian can is the one I will get. Does it not come with a spout for pouring or are you recommending an alternative spout?
Thanks for replying.
It comes with a spout, but here in California it comes with a super special vapor free spout that is a pain in the rear and makes using the darn thing an ordeal. I'm not sure if that is the default spout it comes with, or only a special treat for Californians. Judging by the pictures on the website I'd wager the pain in the drain spout is what comes with it for everybody. And it never hurts to have an extra...I'd recommend getting the extra flex spout.
Peace.