Brian
Last Name
Foltz
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AA0BF / WRMI426
Service Branch
U.S. Army
So, here's the dilemma: we are going to a wedding near Jackson, Wyoming, in June. The wedding concludes late Saturday night and we're getting a hotel room that night, but we have from Sunday morning until Monday night before we have to be home in central Colorado. What could we do with the ~36 hours we have, including the time needed to get home? I was looking at the areas of Bridger NF, Shoshone NF, or the Highway 287 or 191 corridors. Any ideas? I've never really explored this area, but open to anything from touristy stuff to remote tent camping.

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

You got your own vehicle or a rental sedan?

NW of Jellystone I always recommend going to Hell Roaring Creek in Idaho, it is the headwaters of the Missouri River. East of The Tetons there is the Tie Hack Memorial. If you are thinking of driving home after the festivites, look into going to the Tie Hack Mem and then over Union Pass South to Pinedale and South Pass.......so much history and geology on the way home.

Reactions: Sparksalot

TheBison

Rank V

Trail Blazer III

Hartsel, CO
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Foltz
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AA0BF / WRMI426
Service Branch
U.S. Army

NW of Jellystone I always recommend going to Hell Roaring Creek in Idaho, it is the headwaters of the Missouri River. East of The Tetons there is the Tie Hack Memorial. If you are thinking of driving home after the festivites, look into going to the Tie Hack Mem and then over Union Pass South to Pinedale and South Pass.......so much history and geology on the way home.
Sorry, should have specified that we'll be in our own ZR2.

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

So, here's the dilemma: we are going to a wedding near Jackson, Wyoming, in June. The wedding concludes late Saturday night and we're getting a hotel room that night, but we have from Sunday morning until Monday night before we have to be home in central Colorado. What could we do with the ~36 hours we have, including the time needed to get home? I was looking at the areas of Bridger NF, Shoshone NF, or the Highway 287 or 191 corridors. Any ideas? I've never really explored this area, but open to anything from touristy stuff to remote tent camping.
I'd recommend checking to see it the Routes through the Snowys are open. IIRC Route 130 which runs between 230 S. of Saratoga and Centennial Wy usually opens up for Memorial day Lots of side roads north and south of it to explore if open. You can then take Route 230 down to Colorado through Cowdry/Walden then choose either 14 or later 40 to Kremmling or stay on 125 to Winter park and use I70 to hook up with Co 9 for the ride back to Hartsel. Look up Big creek Lakes NW of Cowdry for a nice camping/hiking spot.

Boort

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force

@TheBison If you do that, be sure to stop for ice cream at the mercantile in Farson. Also watch the make one before you choose the number of scoops, they’re HUGE.

Reactions: Boort and TheBison

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
I'd recommend checking to see it the Routes through the Snowys are open. IIRC Route 130 which runs between 230 S. of Saratoga and Centennial Wy usually opens up for Memorial day Lots of side roads north and south of it to explore if open. You can then take Route 230 down to Colorado through Cowdry/Walden then choose either 14 or later 40 to Kremmling or stay on 125 to Winter park and use I70 to hook up with Co 9 for the ride back to Hartsel. Look up Big creek Lakes NW of Cowdry for a nice camping/hiking spot.

Boort
I went through there in July in both 2018 and 2019. I camped on the divide in 18. In 19, that campground still had 4 feet of snow in it.

Elevation in the pic was about 11,000 feet.

Attachments

Reactions: Boort and TheBison