Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
OK, we have dual batteries, 220 watts of solar, a fridge, a dedicated freezer, running water, rear deck kitchen with drawers, tupperware tub, and an old Coleman stove, hot shower, RTT on trailer, plenty of room for food, gas and water to disappear for 400 miles or 5 days, (whichever comes first), run of the mill cookware, a couple of cast iron pieces, dinner ware, cutlery, two flasks, a side table, day packs, back packs, along with 3 dslrs, (multiple lenses, etc), two safety kits, a PLB, H20 purifier, portable toilet, shovels, tools, extraction equipment, a 1/10th scale 4x4 Landcruiser, and a few other odds and ends. Sometimes I think we've gone too far, then I think of my partners needs and wants. She has no qualms about sleeping in a tent, or pooping in a bag in the wilderness, far away from society, for days at a time. The freezer is for pain issues. Where she goes, ice must go. All in all, if we take this any further it would be getting a camper and ah, no, she hates campers and I don't care for them either. Finally, after 20 years I think we are done building and modifying. Things are as they should be. But, still, in the back of my mind I can't help but think that maybe, just maybe, we've gone too far. Thoughts?

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
If it works for you then you are good.

Why worry about what someone else thinks?

You have only gone too far if you can't afford it or the vehicle can't handle it.
Don’t care what anyone else thinks, just asking for personal thoughts on what works for everyone and if anyone else draws lines in the sand that constantly move..

Reactions: Road

NMBruce

Rank V

Advocate II

Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Cooper
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0NBD
Service Branch
U.S. Air Force
I think you’re good, going camping doesn’t mean not being comfortable, for me it’s getting away.

I like my fridge/freezer and not needing to worry about ice for the cooler after days or miles, now ice is a ball frozen for drink. Water for me is still out of Jerry cans, the bathroom is a bag,. The bed is a RTT with a mattress.

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
I like it the simpler the better, but I married a city girl and my old bones don't like sleeping on the cold ground. I enjoy the designing and fabricating when I can't get away.

Last edited:

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I like it the simpler the better, but I married a city girl and my old bones don't like sleeping on the cold ground.
yea, this will be our first trip up off the ground. Having a mattress beneath us and in our bags should be more comfortable than on the ground or on the cots.

Alex Brame

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Woodburn, Oregon, USA
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Brame
Member #

OK, we have dual batteries, 220 watts of solar, a fridge, a dedicated freezer, running water, rear deck kitchen with drawers, tupperware tub, and an old Coleman stove, hot shower, RTT on trailer, plenty of room for food, gas and water to disappear for 400 miles or 5 days, (whichever comes first), run of the mill cookware, a couple of cast iron pieces, dinner ware, cutlery, two flasks, a side table, day packs, back packs, along with 3 dslrs, (multiple lenses, etc), two safety kits, a PLB, H20 purifier, portable toilet, shovels, tools, extraction equipment, a 1/10th scale 4x4 Landcruiser, and a few other odds and ends. Sometimes I think we've gone too far, then I think of my partners needs and wants. She has no qualms about sleeping in a tent, or pooping in a bag in the wilderness, far away from society, for days at a time. The freezer is for pain issues. Where she goes, ice must go. All in all, if we take this any further it would be getting a camper and ah, no, she hates campers and I don't care for them either. Finally, after 20 years I think we are done building and modifying. Things are as they should be. But, still, in the back of my mind I can't help but think that maybe, just maybe, we've gone too far. Thoughts?
Whew! What a relief!! I thought you were making a comment on Society..:grinning:.
I'm about to pull things together for another long trip, and realized the gear gets customized for the activities of each trip. This time it's overlanding for three nights, followed by a five day guided rafting trip. I don't want to leave a lot of expensive gear in the car when the float starts. Won't see the car for five days. Still, rtt, awning, chairs, gas fire ring, pancakes and coffee in the moring, cocktails and steak for dinner :yum:

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Oh, I think that all the time; that I've gone too far with what I have and what I take on adventures. This spring has been a paring back down to what I know I use most, like the best, and find most efficient.

What I'm finding the more I do multi-month adventures, is that I usually reach for and use the simplest versions of most of my gear. Like the uber-simple TeraFlex deflator over the ARB and Boulder Tools deflators. Same with my flashlights and camp lights, knives, day packs, storage containers, backpack stoves, kitchen gear, and more. Simplest version doesn't always mean least expensive for me, in fact it often means more expensive, though I find over time the cost is actually less because of durability and longevity.

It pretty much comes down to, for me, the same rule for what I keep in clothing. That if a piece of gear has been packed or in storage for a year and not been used in the cycle of four seasons, I'm most likely not going to use it this year either. So off it goes. Hand tools are the exception. I keep a plethora of hand tools for a variety of situations that may arise less than once a year.

I'm rigging up my van to be redundant in some ways to my trailer as far as sleeping potential, power making and energy storage, kitchen, water, and shade. Which on the surface may seem unnecessary for a guy who primarily travels alone. I'm finding, though, that the simpler I make what I keep and use, the easier it is to follow the rule of redundancy: two is one, one is none. Having gear be same or similar in both van and trailer means I can repair/replace while on the road or way back country and not go without or be completely broke down.

And, importantly, it means I can stay out longer and have more room in which to work on off-grid projects. It also means I can grab and go with just my van and have all I need, without moving stuff from trailer to van or rearranging things continuously. I like the feeling I can just get in and everything's ready to roll, whether I take just the van, or van and trailer.

It all means I've gotten to the point, like you, of figuring what works best for my style of adventuring.

At least for now. I keep getting older for some reason and will, no doubt, have to modify some things as time rolls on.

I'm going to keep wandering and exploring as long as I'm able. I've proven to myself over and over that wandering and exploring to my heart's content, and living my life primarily outside, keeps me younger and far more fit in mind and body than if living primarily inside.

Last edited:

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
No generator. So you seem fine by me, if the truck is level or better.

You should get a loud bull horn. So you can simultaneously say to everyone in your group: "I KNOW WHERE YOU CAMP NOW. THESE COORDINATES ARE GOING ON FACETUBE!' BEEP BEEP BEEB BEEP BoooooooooOOOOOP''

Pretzel

Rank IV

Member III

Greenville, NC
First Name
Eric
Last Name
D.
Member #

Sounds amazing! The only additions I can think of are a pair of hammocks and a 3rd flask =)

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Oh, I think that all the time; that I've gone too far with what I have and what I take on adventures. This spring has been a paring back down to what I know I use most, like the best, and find most efficient.

What I'm finding the more I do multi-month adventures, is that I usually reach for and use the simplest versions of most of my gear. Like the uber-simple TeraFlex deflator over the ARB and Boulder Tools deflators. Same with my flashlights and camp lights, knives, day packs, storage containers, backpack stoves, kitchen gear, and more. Simplest version doesn't always mean least expensive for me, in fact it often means more expensive, though I find over time the cost is actually less because of durability and longevity.

It pretty much comes down to, for me, the same rule for what I keep in clothing. That if a piece of gear has been packed or in storage for a year and not been used in the cycle of four seasons, I'm most likely not going to use it this year either. So off it goes. Hand tools are the exception. I keep a plethora of hand tools for a variety of situations that may arise less than once a year.

I'm rigging up my van to be redundant in some ways to my trailer as far as sleeping potential, power making and energy storage, kitchen, water, and shade. Which on the surface may seem unnecessary for a guy who primarily travels alone. I'm finding, though, that the simpler I make what I keep and use, the easier it is to follow the rule of redundancy: two is one, one is none. Having gear be same or similar in both van and trailer means I can repair/replace while on the road or way back country and not go without or be completely broke down.

And, importantly, it means I can stay out longer and have more room in which to work on off-grid projects. It also means I can grab and go with just my van and have all I need, without moving stuff from trailer to van or rearranging things continuously. I like the feeling I can just get in and everything's ready to roll, whether I take just the van, or van and trailer.

It all means I've gotten to the point, like you, of figuring what works best for my style of adventuring.

At least for now. I keep getting older for some reason and will, no doubt, have to modify some things as time rolls on.

I'm going to keep wandering and exploring as long as I'm able. I've proven to myself over and over that wandering and exploring to my heart's content, and living my life primarily outside, keeps me younger and far more fit in mind and body than if living primarily inside.
I’m following a kind of similar strategy. I have basic stuff in thecopcar for nimble adventures with a tent. My teardrop had more, and complimentary gear. Both have power. I can carry water in either or both.

surfnturf

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor II

Kings Mountain, CA, USA
Member #

I say what ever makes you happy and comfortable. I know I have a serious vehicle and camping problem.... Currently 4 rigs with all slightly different purposes.

84 CJ7 used as my daily driver and weekend rock crawler for the difficult trails such as Rubicon, Barrett Lakes, Fordyce .... etc.
68 Bronco for moderate off road trails... Eastern Sierra’s Death Valley, etc..
Sprinter 4x4 for overland camping
2015 Winnebago Brave for surf or mountain biking trips or base camp off road trips.

I may need counseling.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I look at this list and think I was rgere too 20 years ago. Today I literally list what gets used, what just sits on a shelf, what I need and how can I reduce my weight. footprint by 50%. I'm pretty compact with a TJR and a square drop. I'll never give up the double bed. I'll always need refrigeration. But all the rest, I'm thinking like a homeless person. And looking for ways to shed stuff. The onlynluxury I really want is a freezer to make ice cubes for beverages. Otherwise, even clothing, I am reducing what I carry.

Have you gone too far..... only if you think so.

Reactions: MOAK and Old Tanker