Solo weekend trip

• HTML tutorial

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

As the Wife was going to be busy all weekend ,I thought i would take the mutts and head out for an overnight adventure and excursion. I had always wanted to venture up into the Christian Valley (here in the southern interior of BC) and see where it took me.
My 2 day trip ended up totaling appx. 400 km, with a good 200km of it all off road. I headed south on Hwy97 from home (Penticton), then east from Osoyoos on Hwy3 to Rock Creek. From there I headed north up and into the Christian Valley. The pavement ended after not too long and we aired down and welcomed the dirt. I had planned on looking for Nevertouch Lake and after one wrong turn found the FSR (forest service road) that led me to the lake and my overnight camp spot. Nevertouch is located at appx 4000ft. and as luck would have it, I had the whole lake to myself.
I set up camp, and got down to relaxing. Made a fire and cooked a few mandatory hot dogs, washed down with a nice cold brew (thank you Dometic fridge). Walked the dogs a bit, read my book, ate some M&M's, had a nap, read a little more, stoked the fire, poured some boiling water into a dehydrated food pouch and 10 minutes later ate some pretty decent lasagna.
As light was quickly running out around 7pm, I decided it was time to get the mutts up into the RTT. I have a carpet runner which I lay out on the hood and up the windshield, and they just walk up and into an open RTT window. Works out very slick.
Of course as one of the mutts had bee neating gawd knows what, he was battling with some diarhea. At 3am he decided it was definatly time to get up and out and use the facilities. In my attempt at haste in the darkness I tried to hoist him down the ladder, and he decided to make a jump for it. Well that took us both down, fortunately for my dog he was just fine as my body cushioned the blow for him. The upside was that I managed to get him out before he expelled the nastiness inside him.

Sunday morning rolled around at 7am for us, so I made a lazy coffee and then packed up and headed out to look for the start of the 201 OK Falls FSR. I located it about 17km from the camp area and found the marker that claimed it was 115km back to 0Km at Okanagan Falls. We turned south and spent the next couple hours meandering along the 201, taking in all the surroundings and once again realizing that we are darn fortunate to be lucky enough to call BC our home. I spotted a few moose on the drive back, the dogs were happy to be on squirrel-crossing-road patrol, and a few hours later we ended up back in our southern Okanagan Valley. A quick 20 minute drive on the blacktop took us back home safe and sound.

Our backyard surely is a place of wonder. I was able to travel for 200km on dirt roads, without so much as seeing a traffic light, it was pretty much just me, the dogs, and the occasional passing hunter.

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

Beautiful. Did your Trasharoo strap to the rear gate out of the box, or did you customize the straps?
Thanks. I do have it strapped around the rear hatch. The buckles won't fit through the slim space between the body and the upper hatch though. I had to remove the buckles and feed the straps through, then reattach them. I am going to replace the buckles with some sort of cinch strap to make it easier to install and remove.

E

expeditionnorth

Awesome report, great reading
but the photos are epic
you are a lucky man for living there in BC
I've been almost to chillwak (looking across over to it from the Cascades) on the US side hunting and had to stop at the border for obvious reasons