Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Der
Last Name
Wotan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE3R
Ok, so I gave my 105W ACOPower panel (https://amzn.to/2rk1nhy) to my wife to use in her van conversion. She has a generator, so solar isn't as important for her as it is for me...

I in turn replaced it with the new 120W ACOPower portable panel (https://amzn.to/2rgRzF5) - essentially the same size and weight, but 15W more power...

After lots of research, I replaced the supplied PWM controller with an MPPT controller (https://amzn.to/2IdvUqR). Since the one that came with the 120W panel is nicer than the one on the 105W, I am replacing hers with that one.

My new controller has BT built in, so it's nice to be able to monitor the panel using the free app.

1. The app screen (no load or battery attached...)
fullsizeoutput_29c.jpeg
2. Close-up of the new controller. I opted for the 75V/15A version, since that will allow me to run two 120W panels in parallel, if I so choose.
8yEJMdP2RYy%IPl0%FyBmA.jpg
3. The 120W panels. Pretty much identical to the 105W ones...
BshMp1D8QuWYtPXAfXQ6Ug.jpg

Oh, and for those wondering about PWM vs. MPPT:

PWM Solar Charge Controllers

A PWM (Pulse Width Modulated) solar charge controller is the traditional style. They are robust, inexpensive and widely used in solar panel applications. PWM shunt controllers are used less often and mostly in applications where electrical interference is an issue.

MPPT Solar Charge Controllers

The MPPT (Maximum Power Point Tracking) solar controller is the shining star of today's solar systems. These controllers actually detect the optimum operating voltage and amperage of the solar panel array and match that with the battery bank. The result is additional 15-30% more power out of your solar array versus a PWM solar controller. Although the MPPT solar charge controller is more expensive than its PWM counterpart, it is generally worth the investment for any solar electric system over 200 watts.

Finally, I also decided to replace the 2014 original OEM battery in Ruby with a more powerful dual-purpose Odyssey 34R-PC1500T Extreme Series battery. That should help running my accessories, especially the ARB fridge.

Texassailor

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor III

Austin, TX
Member #

I currently own the same Acopower 120W folding solar panel. My new MPPT controller should be arriving today (ACOPOWER 40A MPPT Solar Charge Controller)

I have two 68Ahr Odyssey Extreme AGM batteries in parallel as my house bank. I may get another 120W folding solar panel if need be. They are pricey, though.

Most of this capacity powers my SnoMaster 56q Fridge/Freezer. It pulls as much as 4.9 amps. And, here in Texas when the temps are 100+ (as in next week), that fridge/freezer will run quite often. I can setup the folding panel on my Jeep's roof rack during the day while at work. And, I can always fully charge my batteries using my CTEK Multi US 25000 25A Battery Charger overnight.

I'm hopeful I can rely solely on my solar panel system to stay off-grid for an extended period of time for overland trips.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wotan

Texassailor

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor III

Austin, TX
Member #

Finally, I also decided to replace the 2014 original OEM battery in Ruby with a more powerful dual-purpose Odyssey 34R-PC1500T Extreme Series battery. That should help running my accessories, especially the ARB fridge.
Hey, I'm using the same battery for my house bank. I'm still using my stock starting battery. The house bank is located in the rear of the JKU along with my SnoMaster fridge/freezer. I'm using this battery cage . . . Artec Industries Odyssey PC 1500 Back-to-Back Battery Mount. I think this cage was made for racing buggies; it keeps the batteries locked down tight.

Reactions: Wotan