Colorado Springs, CO, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Kultala
Member #

Service Branch
Retired Army
Hey y'all, just wanted to post an update to my DIY roof rack, I added a little solar box to charge electronics when we are out for a few days and I don't want to touch the Jeep's battery as well as a few lights / routed my light switch inside (wasn't easy but totally worth it now that it's done!).
I ordered everything from Amazon Prime, the solar battery inverter box info :
-2x Hykolity 12V 8AH Rechargeable Sealed Lead Acid Battery
-1x BESTEK 150W Power Inverter DC 12V to 110V AC Converter 4.2A Dual USB Car Adapter
-1x TayMac MM420C Single Gang Non-Metallic Weatherproof In-Use Cover
-1x ECO-WORTHY 10W PV Polycrystalline Solar Panel System kit W/ 3A Charge Controller

I made the box myself out of some extra wood I had, sealed it using some knock-off flexseal foam and some roof shingles up top, painted it with some outdoor paint. So far so good! This is about the most basic low level battery bank you could get for the cheapest price, if you go up in size with all the parts this could easily be Far more rugged and my end goal later will be to upgrade to a full sized marine battery so I could possibly jump my main driving battery if I ever get in trouble.
Light Switch On.jpg
Lights on.jpg
Haulin wood.jpg
Inverter open.jpg
Next project, modify a Tacoma snorkel to fit my Cherokee!

überlander

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

First Name
James
Last Name
Kultala
Member #

Service Branch
Retired Army
Yep I need to do that project I already have 3 900 ca deep cycle truck mariane batteries just sitting around
It took me 6 years of putting off upgrades for my Jeep but now that I’ve started, I just keep coming up with more and more, I love it!

Don’t be like me, start knocking stuff out!

Reactions: DoggMan1163

DoggMan1163

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Big Sandy, TX, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Beard
Member #

It took me 6 years of putting off upgrades for my Jeep but now that I’ve started, I just keep coming up with more and more, I love it!

Don’t be like me, start knocking stuff out!
In the last 6 months I've done 5000. In upgrades and there is probably that much more to do 20190721_102251.jpg

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Hey y'all, just wanted to post an update to my DIY roof rack, I added a little solar box to charge electronics when we are out for a few days and I don't want to touch the Jeep's battery as well as a few lights / routed my light switch inside (wasn't easy but totally worth it now that it's done!).
I ordered everything from Amazon Prime, the solar battery inverter box info :
-2x Hykolity 12V 8AH Rechargeable Sealed Lead Acid Battery
-1x BESTEK 150W Power Inverter DC 12V to 110V AC Converter 4.2A Dual USB Car Adapter
-1x TayMac MM420C Single Gang Non-Metallic Weatherproof In-Use Cover
-1x ECO-WORTHY 10W PV Polycrystalline Solar Panel System kit W/ 3A Charge Controller

I made the box myself out of some extra wood I had, sealed it using some knock-off flexseal foam and some roof shingles up top, painted it with some outdoor paint. So far so good! This is about the most basic low level battery bank you could get for the cheapest price, if you go up in size with all the parts this could easily be Far more rugged and my end goal later will be to upgrade to a full sized marine battery so I could possibly jump my main driving battery if I ever get in trouble.
View attachment 109977
View attachment 109978
View attachment 109979
View attachment 109980
Next project, modify a Tacoma snorkel to fit my Cherokee!
Where is the battery box you made ?

überlander

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

First Name
James
Last Name
Kultala
Member #

Service Branch
Retired Army
Where is the battery box you made ?
In the second and third pictures it’s on top of the roof rack where you see the solar panel, here’s some more...

Attachments

DoggMan1163

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Big Sandy, TX, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Yup, I can see most of it !
I have about 450. Just in lights if I ever get around to putting them in . some of them will be easy, but a couple of them require me to remove the winch bumper which is a couple of hundred lbs with winch installed NOT looking forward to it

überlander

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

First Name
James
Last Name
Kultala
Member #

Service Branch
Retired Army
Is it big enough to power everything and keep up with the demand
So this one, no, not even close, but I made this as a proof of concept and just to charge my phone and a tablet when I’m out camping. If you were to upgrade all the parts it could definitely be closer to being able to power larger stuff.

DoggMan1163

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Big Sandy, TX, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Beard
Member #

So this one, no, not even close, but I made this as a proof of concept and just to charge my phone and a tablet when I’m out camping. If you were to upgrade all the parts it could definitely be closer to being able to power larger stuff.
Have you had any experience with the mats that mount to the roof or tent covering

überlander

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

First Name
James
Last Name
Kultala
Member #

Service Branch
Retired Army
Have you had any experience with the mats that mount to the roof or tent covering
Just the military roll out type for small batteries, nothing outside of that, this was another reason I wanted to make this box. To jump in and get my feet wet when it comes to solar panels. Baptism by fire is always my best way of learning!

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I have about 450. Just in lights if I ever get around to putting them in . some of them will be easy, but a couple of them require me to remove the winch bumper which is a couple of hundred lbs with winch installed NOT looking forward to it
I hope you have some help when you decide to remove the bumper-winch. I don't have any help for my heavy stuff so I have to hire someone and that sucks. There was a day when I couldn't even spell mechanic let alone hire one. Things change when you get older, they get a lot harder or maybe impossible. I wait for my kids to come visit then I put them to work. If I'm lucky I get something done at least once a year. LOL

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Feel the same way the only time it seems like I hear from my kids is when they need something then I make them barter for it
I hear ya. You should see the look when it is something I actually got for her lol.
My wife is gone now but every time the UPS man brings me a new box, I can feel her tapping on my shoulder and asking, "what now Lanlubber" !
LOL !! the last time my oldest son came down from Washington state, he reorganized my tool room. I hope he doesn't come back because I cant find anything and he say's he cant remember what he did with them. I think he just doesn't want me working on anything anymore so he hid them on purpose. My kids quit asking for things, they just moved in and I cant get rid of them. See what you have to look forward to ?

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
LOL !! the last time my oldest son came down from Washington state, he reorganized my tool room. I hope he doesn't come back because I cant find anything and he say's he cant remember what he did with them. I think he just doesn't want me working on anything anymore so he hid them on purpose. My kids quit asking for things, they just moved in and I cant get rid of them. See what you have to look forward to ?
I'd just play dumb, but inside be sharp as Columbo lol.

uPQxS-1480705982-71-show-940x370_Columbo.jpg