Softopper sealing/bugproofing?

• HTML tutorial

Mike Millis

Rank 0

Traveler I

Hey all,
I have been into camping and hiking and just about everything else you can do outside for a number of years. This year I decided I would give overlanding a go. I’m a new member on this site, my first post actually. Here are some photos of my rig so far, and I have a custom bed rack in progress now.
I have a question for all you softopper (or any topper people for that matter) people out there. Has anybody come up with a good way to fill/seal the corners of the topper? Each corner of my topper has about a 1/4-inch gap about 3 inches long around the radius of the corners where it meets my bed sides. Sorry for not having photos yet, I will add some. I was thinking just stuffing some foam in the gaps and calling it a day.
Now for all topper people- What are some good tailgate sealing options. I see a lot of weather stripping on most auto accessories websites. Has anybody had any experience with these?

Attachments

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Hey all,
I have been into camping and hiking and just about everything else you can do outside for a number of years. This year I decided I would give overlanding a go. I’m a new member on this site, my first post actually. Here are some photos of my rig so far, and I have a custom bed rack in progress now.
I have a question for all you softopper (or any topper people for that matter) people out there. Has anybody come up with a good way to fill/seal the corners of the topper? Each corner of my topper has about a 1/4-inch gap about 3 inches long around the radius of the corners where it meets my bed sides. Sorry for not having photos yet, I will add some. I was thinking just stuffing some foam in the gaps and calling it a day.
Now for all topper people- What are some good tailgate sealing options. I see a lot of weather stripping on most auto accessories websites. Has anybody had any experience with these?
Not sure if this would work for you, Flex Seal Tape! 4” wide, can even get it at like Walmart. Vance.

Hefty Smurf

Rank II

Enthusiast II

I have a Snugtop topper and can tell you sealing the tailgate is the least of your worries. I used a tailgate sealer in addition to some thicker & wider shell weather stripping. Not 100% but just about. Now for the bad news. The real problem is the bed design it’s self. I see you have a GMC, I have a Chevy so same design (or close enough). Look up, under the bed rails and you’ll see these huge holes. As in bigger than a man’s fist. These let so much dust in you might as well be sleeping in the dirt. To try and fix this I went down to my local upholstery shop and bought a good size piece of foam to cut and stuff into the holes. It’s helped but I keep finding dust in my bed, mostly because the holes are a weird rectangle/triangle shape. Good luck.