Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Romulus, MI, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Peterson
Member #

I am driving the Tacoma out from Michigan to visit my daughter in San Diego leaving 1/13 arriving 1/17 I would like to take her out exploring one day for maybe 4 - 6 hours. The build is only beginning so no recovery gear except traction boards I do have good rubber and suspension. Looking for something simple like blm roads with a little scenery within an hour or two of the city. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Rich

jimmynotjim

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Jimmy
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

Anzo Borrego is only two hours away, so is the San Bernardino Nation Forrest. Plenty of trails for all levels at both. One thing to consider at SBNF is chains may be required if it's recently snowed.

Reactions: Daryl 32 and Xiggi

Berkshires

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Berkshire, MA, USA
First Name
K
Last Name
L
Member #

Definitely Anza Borrego state park. I just spent a week there and plenty of off-roading in BLM and state park of all levels. Short drive, depending on traffic and diverse terrain with lots to explore.

Reactions: Xiggi

Berkshires

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Berkshire, MA, USA
First Name
K
Last Name
L
Member #

The route from San Diego is about 1.5 hours and you should stop in Julian on your way in or out of Anza. We were just there and Julian is known for the best pies - about five different pie shops in town, all are good.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
The top of Tecate Peak would be another option to consider. It is a nice drive down the 94 all the way to the border of Mexico, then follow the fence west a couple of miles, then a climb up to the top of Tecate Peak. The road is rocky, but not technically challenging. The views are great.

On the way back hit Barret Junction Cafe for dinner (Check in advance to confirm their hours. They are not open as late as most places in town.).

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
x2 on Anza Borrego and San Bernadino Mountains. Mountains in the spring time and Anza if its not going to rain.

Scott

SubeeBen

Rank V

Advocate I

Alpine, CA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Jacques
Member #

2nd that on Anza borrego a lot of cool things out there to explore, metal sculptures,pumpkin patch etc. depending on where your daughter lives in SD let me know my wife, daughter & I are always up for a road trip.

Reactions: 9Mike2 and Xiggi

Daryl 32

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Corona, Ca
Member #

You need to plan an all day trip not just 6 hours - driving time will not leave you much time to enjoy.

If you are set on a quick trip and only have a short time I would suggest seeing "Fonts point" in Anza Borrego. Do your self a favor and do not look up pictures of it - let the sight surprise and over whelm you in person!!!!

SIDE NOTE - if you are short on time drive around Julian and not through - So Cal traffic will send you home upset at it.

Xiggi

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Romulus, MI, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Peterson
Member #

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions. The rain in the forecast over the week does concern me a little not sure how it would impact your trails. Here it would be mud.

Reactions: Luis Merlo

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
The biggest thing you need to worry about with regard to rain is the danger of a flash flood in a desert wash. Rain can happen a couple of miles away and if you are in the wrong place at the wrong time 20 minutes later you could get the surprise of your life. It is not something to scratch your plans over, but it is something you should be aware of. Crossing a wash is generally not high risk, especially if you can see a ways upstream. Driving for miles in a wash is another matter. And many desert trails do run up/down washes, sometimes for miles at a time. IF it is raining upstream then you don't want to be there.

There may be some mud, but most of the desert is rock. Most topsoil has been washed away over the years, leaving a rock top layer. In some cases there is soil under a layer of gravel, and what is there will most likely be clay, and thus good and sticky, but that is a minority percentage of what you will likely encounter.

Best bet is to study up on a particular trail. And if in a park, try to find the park headquarters and inquire about current trail conditions.