Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Sherman Oaks, California, United States
First Name
Devon
Last Name
Bowman
Member #

My apologies if this is in the wrong forum/thread...

Hi crew! Brand new to the overland scene so I’m still parsing the incredible amount of info out there.
I’m looking to take the family on a short (possibly just overnight) trip this coming weekend but I’m seeing a fair amount of conflicting info. Obviously it seems that official campgrounds are closed for overnights. Does this include public/BLM land as well? In looking at the OB map, it seems that a lot of places are listed as open.
Short question would be: in Southern Cali, what are the current options?

Thanks!

Dev

Narbob

US West Region Director
Staff member
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

Culver City California
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Brann
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6W0A
My apologies if this is in the wrong forum/thread...

Hi crew! Brand new to the overland scene so I’m still parsing the incredible amount of info out there.
I’m looking to take the family on a short (possibly just overnight) trip this coming weekend but I’m seeing a fair amount of conflicting info. Obviously it seems that official campgrounds are closed for overnights. Does this include public/BLM land as well? In looking at the OB map, it seems that a lot of places are listed as open.
Short question would be: in Southern Cali, what are the current options?

Thanks!

Dev
Hey, you’re most likely okay with BLM land For camping. Best bet would be to check park websites.

ocblizzard

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Irvine, CA, USA
First Name
Binh
Last Name
Dang
Member #

We went to Anza Borrego a few weeks ago and it was open. Check their website to be sure though.

shaggycharlie

Rank III

Enthusiast I

Menifee, California, United States
First Name
Charlie
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

Shoot I was hoping to camp there Sunday night with the family since Monday is a holiday. Looks like we may just be going Monday for a trail ride then. Anyone else interested in going? I haven’t been to Anza Borrego trails yet. All the videos I see look like fun for the family to enjoy.

you can camp in any BLM land. The parks are not allowing it, but blm land outside the borders of the park.
Anza has fun spots for the family, and you do them as day trips for sure. Camp in the nearby blm areas.

Reactions: shaggycharlie

Narwhal

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler III

Georgetown, Texas, United States
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Avila
Member #

Service Branch
Navy - Submarines
Carrizo Plains is a great place for an overnight trip. It’s located basically between Ojai and Bakersfield. I would recommend heading into Ojai in early afternoon then taking hwy 33 up into the Carrizos. I made a route description that has more information plus GPX tracks.

Last edited:
Reactions: devbowman