Launch Member

Traveler II

Carlsbad, CA, USA
First Name
user
Last Name
name
Member #

Overlanding with mixed groups (4x4 and motorcycle) is certainly possible, but more difficult than you think. For example, the motorcycle is much more agile and faster on any terrain vs the 4x4. My KTM 500 EXC can ride Single track, and Dual-Sport rides, and do both very well. Given that fact, it will eat up any Overland roads very quickly, and handle the rougher terrain more easily, thus allowing the bike to cover more ground than a 4x4. Given that most bikes have between 8 and 12" of travel, they are just more capable off-road. But, as others have noted, the rider must choose wisely what they are taking, and most often, it's the bare essentials. My recovery gear for the Dual-sport riding is a 100' static-line rope and some pulleys, tire patching kits and a few tools. Most of what the rider has on their bike is the tent, food, water and some cooking gear. Whereas, the 4x4 has the drone, large DSLR camera kit, Dometic fridge, RTT, etc. Quit simple, with all that gear, the 4x4 can't travel as fast as the bike, and generally only has about 5 to 8" of travel, limiting the amount of abuse the 4x4 can handle without being shaken to pieces.

So, to answer the question of mixed groups, yes, it's possible. But, the bike rider certainly doesn't want to be the tail-gunner breathing in that dust of hermetically sealed 4x4 rig, so they tend to pull ahead, and most times, they are able to get w-a-y ahead, given their capability.

Yeah, it's possible, but not practical for either group.

I'm currently working on rebuilding a 2004 KTM 950 from the ground up, that I hope to have completed in the near decade.

I've had some success but using pre-determined waypoints and meeting places to verify everyone has reached destination at the pace required. It is also kind of nice those on the bikes can scout good camp ground or even scout ahead on trails not yet traveled. If someone on a bike does require assistance a support rig is not far behind.

Reactions: Narwhal
D

Deleted member 21788

Does anyone have experience with newer Ural motorcycles for Overlanding and/or Endurance rides? I love the look of the Ural and the integrated sidecar, but I've read varying reviews both positive and negative. I couldn't tell on many of them if it was an older Ural (which have known mechanical issues). I'm toying with the idea of getting a Ural. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Reactions: Narwhal

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

I have never owned one myself, but have ridden with a guy that had one. It was slow and a little bit of a hand full to ride. He had to make a custom seat back because the seat was very uncomfortable for long rides. However, they seem to be fairly reliable and very capable. I just don't know if there is a way to make them comfortable for really long rides, or to get them up to the higher speeds to hit the interstate in some areas.

D

Deleted member 21788

I have never owned one myself, but have ridden with a guy that had one. It was slow and a little bit of a hand full to ride. He had to make a custom seat back because the seat was very uncomfortable for long rides. However, they seem to be fairly reliable and very capable. I just don't know if there is a way to make them comfortable for really long rides, or to get them up to the higher speeds to hit the interstate in some areas.
Thank you for the input, it seems like the newer models can cruise at 60-70 mph, but I do wonder about their comfort on long rides. All the reviews I've seen talk about the steering requiring a bit more muscle to maneuver.

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

Thank you for the input, it seems like the newer models can cruise at 60-70 mph, but I do wonder about their comfort on long rides. All the reviews I've seen talk about the steering requiring a bit more muscle to maneuver.
I am a huge fan of the Ural, I think they are great bikes for what they were designed to do and would love to get one. But it is important to understand what they were designed to do. They are a clone of a 50's BMW and they were made to tackle the terrible roads in Russia surrounding the Ural Mountains. They are rugged, 2wd and dirt simple. Easy to work on and fix. However, just like the Model T ford or Model A ford were great cars, they are no suited for the high speed Freeways and long distant drive of the modern era. The same is true of the Ural, great bike, but you need to understand that it really is a throwback kind of bike. If you don't mind going slower and keeping things simple, maybe this is for you, but don't expect to ride in a group of BMW 1150 GSA's and keep up with them. It would be best to ride with a group of other Urals.