Launch Member

Contributor II

Stephenville, NL
First Name
Roger
Last Name
G
Member #

I'm planning to explore some of the back roads in my area this winter but would like to have a few options for self-recovery. Aside from a shovel, what are some recommended pieces of snow recovery gear?

Reactions: Trey5150

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Iowa, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

I carry Z-Chains (low profile wire tire 'chains'), tow strap, winch. But the Blizzak snow tires are my favorite gear. Keeps you out of the ditch in the first place.

I tend to end up helping other people more than myself.

We live in a hilly area where people with crap all season tires on front wheel drive minivans as far as the eye can see... roam the land and can't even drive up our street, let alone the big hill to get out of our subdivision. (only one way out, big ice prone hill, main road drifts over constantly due to huge corn fields on either side.)

Lots of people carry sand tubes, kitty litter, works as traction aid in a pinch.

I find myself driving my 06 G35x (AWD with snow tires) a lot more though too, because its much easier to stop ~4k pounds than ~7k pounds.

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

#1 let someone know where your going even a small mechanical issue can lead to a very long cold walk .
I always bring a sleeping bag and some way of starting a fire
Then the normal basics ,shovel , strap , tarp ( laying in the snow can suck)a small bag of ice melt , tire gage, ax or saw and a Sled ..... gotta have fun

Angel Sterling

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Alberta, Canada
Member #

Great info! I live in Canada so I'm facing snow conditions right now. I also have an awd vehicle so I'm debating which snow recovery piece to purchase first. I do unfortunately have a budget so maxtrax might be out of the picture for now.
I have how ever found knock off versions at my local Canadian Tire store. If I pick some up I'll throw a review up on my instagram.

Reactions: JR86 and Trey5150

PROJECTaroid

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Stephenville, NL
First Name
Roger
Last Name
G
Member #

When winter hits I always have a shovel, a basic recovery strap, winter "survival kit", and a set of studded Firestone winter tires. I have been thinking about getting a set of recovery boards but am not sure if that is the best purchase for the purpose of snow recovery.

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Alot of it also depends on how deep of snow you plan on tacking, what you need to get out of 6" of snow will differ a bit then what you need for 6 feet of snow

HKLover

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Ohio/Tenn
First Name
John
Last Name
Shanower
Member #

Alot of it also depends on how deep of snow you plan on tacking, what you need to get out of 6" of snow will differ a bit then what you need for 6 feet of snow
If he is in six feet of snow, he may just need a Sikorsky and an ambulance. Possibly a signal flare too........