Snow day PDX

• HTML tutorial
U

UgotWheelz

Went to get a load of wood heating pellets in #overlandRS. So far the count is 2-Jeeps, 1-Dodge full size, 1-GMC full size, 3-small little FWD cars playing in a parking lot; all rescued with the OverlandRS! If you don't have proper snow/ice tires stay out of the deep snow with an ice substrate.

I could pay my Mortgage just towing 4x4 trucks up the big neighborhood hills today; but I am not charging. You got to have the right tires or traction devices.

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
2/13 at 4:30am it's a sheet of ice in se pdx, good quarter inch thick on top the snow/ice base. The Wildpeaks are much better in this stuff than the Duracraps I had.

U

UgotWheelz

Yeppers; here in SE we had initially about 1/4" to 1/2" ice from freezing rain, than about 2-3" snow; which late yesterday the top layer froze; we got another 3-4" of freezing rain last night everything is pretty much a frozen mess now. Luckily I dont have to go out now but I might go around the block just to see how the car does in deeper frozen snow. It was an animal yesterday, no wheel slip anywhere just dug and went, all 4 wheels digging instantly like a real full time 4x4. Might take a few Gallons or even drums of deicer to clear the windows and get the doors open though.

UPDATE the snow is frozen all the way through here in SE PDX, 6+" of solid frozen snow you don't even sink in 1/4" when walking on it.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: madcratebuilder
U

UgotWheelz

Monday-Tuesday might be melted off if the weather does warm up and stay above freezing.LRFC2759.jpegIMG_1823.jpeg

Reactions: PNW EXPLR
U

UgotWheelz

The frozen solid snow/ice mass that is 6" deep across the street and everything was even preventing the 4x4 flagger truck down the street from getting out you could not push through you had to get up over the top of it. Finally with chains and help from the neighbors scubbi they got it out but it came right back and has been parked since; I assume they couldn't get up the hill out of the neighborhood. If the car gets de-iced and I can get doors open I might try to move the car out of driveway go around the block.

Reactions: PNW EXPLR

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

I think my truck weighs a extra 500lbs from all the ice . On the good side I can’t say enough good things about the kenda klevers I put on it , was mostly just going for the 35x10.50 size but at 20 psi I have been traveling in 2wd most everywhere the last couple days . 866F85A1-384D-48A4-9F9B-ABDB486E79AE.jpeg

Reactions: UgotWheelz

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Figured I could give a little heads up to anybody heading out in the pdx area
205 is mostly clear till you get to powel then it’s just ice all the way to Vancouver.

vancouver seems to be more snow than ice .

troutdale has a lot of snow and ice and it’s quite miserable with 84 closed and semi trucks everywhere

South of portland seems fine for the most part except forthebackroads still lots of snow and ice

clackamas area at least in happy valley is mostly ice I have a good inch on most everything at home .
Be safe , air down if you can and if you don’t need to get out let the crews clean the roads don’t clutter it up with stuck rigs .

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Oh and downtown and the west side of the river is not to bad on the main roads , some side roads have a ton of snow piled up from plowing

U

UgotWheelz

All major arteries in se Pdx are plowed secondary roads ok with snow tires low clearance vehicles may have issues getting g through the berms from snow plows #overlandRS is a snow machine only thing slow me down is I am T stock height again, lots of powerlifting Ed down all over se be careful not all on marked!

U

UgotWheelz

Power just came back on partially all the 120V circuits; crews are working on the other 2 phases on corner. Luckily that leg is our outlets so have heaters fired up and pellet stove is starting.

WIAT..... oh there goes the other 120V leg just heard water heater start yeah we got POWER---- after 6 days.