Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Willow Beach, Georgina, ON, Canada
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Hill
Member #

Does anyone know of a southern Ontario distributor of the Snap Treehouse style of truck cap/upper sleep platform or other brand. Snap is in Pennsylvania, I like what it is but getting it and paying the duty to bring it back is more than I think it’s worth. It’s like a RTT but you get into it from the bed of the truck Using three step ladder. Wife and I don’t like normal RTT. Getting older, no ground tents. There is nothing I can find online in Canada except for pop up truck camper that fits 8 foot bed.

Bluegrass rules

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Mike
Last Name
Hill
Member #

I can answer part of my own question. Snap outfitters is factory direct only, just talked to them. Now I just need to know if anyone knows of or has bought a combination truck cap/integrated RTT in Ontario. I haven’t found one yet. I guess I’ll have to find out about duties and taxes at the boarder.

df150

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Canada
First Name
Denis
Last Name
G
Member #

Yeah your best bet probably just drive over across the border(when it's open) and install it, come back pay taxes on purchase. For whatever reason these kind staff not available here in Ontario , for my self interested in RTT ,either ALU CAB or IKAMPER , and could not find any place that sell it here, so I can look at it or something. BC and AB seems like have more options available over there, maybe more people interested in it, not sure. Well anyway that's what I know, maybe other members ,will post more info. Good luck.

Bluegrass rules

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Mike
Last Name
Hill
Member #

Thanks for your input. I’ve contacted Canada Border customs to find out for sure what I will pay. According to their website if the cap was made and labeled as made in the US or Mexico then no duty will apply, just taxes. The exchange rate will determine if it is financially justified. I just may get the one and only three inch lift kit I can find for my older truck as well. (From US)

Bluegrass rules

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Mike
Last Name
Hill
Member #

Have you looked at Four Wheel Campers Canada - Hawk model..., they are out of BC. I've seen a couple of them on different youtube channels I subscribe to. Hope this helps you out.
I have and would like one but it’s just too much for pension income(approx $38,000Can). I would need the Grandby though as I have an eight foot bed.
Canada Customs did respond that they would collect duty, taxes etc for the treehouse though their website said US made items are exempt from duties. So the $9,000US treehouse would end up costing close to $20,000Can. I will probably just build a sleep platform and storage in the bed. Wife doesn’t mind that. I’m also looking at other pop ups closer to my price range. Then I could suck it up, be uncomfortable and continue sleeping in a tent.

Northerntrouble

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor III

Ontario, Canada
First Name
John
Last Name
Overholt
Member #

Hi Mike, have you looked at some of the rigs offered of Facebook Market place or Kijjiji? I understand the pension thing, as I'm living it myself. I'm just starting to build my overland vehicle. I just purchased a 2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn as my base vehicle.

Bluegrass rules

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Mike
Last Name
Hill
Member #

Hi Mike, have you looked at some of the rigs offered of Facebook Market place or Kijjiji? I understand the pension thing, as I'm living it myself. I'm just starting to build my overland vehicle. I just purchased a 2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn as my base vehicle.
Yes I check kijiji, Auto Trader and have looked at Facebook marketplace, though not for the last month or so. There are pop ups that I will look at when we are freed from imposed isolation. I bought my Sierra 2500HD diesel in 2008 with the intention of getting a pop up camper in 2010 being ready for retirement. We travelled lots but still used a tent until a couple of years ago. Wife wants a travel trailer, I don’t. I think we have decided ( I wore her out) and will lean toward a basic pop up truck camper. We do both like the treehouse/Alucab idea of a topper/sleeper where you get into the sleeper from the bed of the truck. Canadian prices are just too much.