Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
Currently planning a trip for Mid Spring to Smokeys and Cherokee NF area. I've not been in years to the Smokeys and it was only day hiking. I've never been to Cherokee. Looking for some recommendations in-terms of Overlanding, 4x4 and some hiking trails. Any help will be much appreciated!

Lil Bear

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia, USA
First Name
Working
Last Name
Toomuch
Member #

I'll just follow along on this post. I may head that way this coming weekend...not sure at all yet.

Reactions: SJ.Overland

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

Oh my, where to start. With the Hiwassee and Ocoee rivers in the southern portion, there are tons of options. My suggestion is you get a copy of the NF map. There are some really good camping options, both in campgrounds and dispersed, and pretty drives. I’ll come back later when I have time with suggestions.

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
Oh my, where to start. With the Hiwassee and Ocoee rivers in the southern portion, there are tons of options. My suggestion is you get a copy of the NF map. There are some really good camping options, both in campgrounds and dispersed, and pretty drives. I’ll come back later when I have time with suggestions.
That would be much appreciated!

EffinNewGuy

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Greenville, SC
First Name
S
Last Name
B
Member #

Sounds like fun. If I didn't already have a trip to UT/WY/MT/SD planned in May, I would consider joining you. The only time I Spent in/near Cherokee was driving along the Cherohala Skyway on my way to a drilling job at the TVA Appalachia Dam back in 2012. Absolutely beautiful area.

Reactions: SJ.Overland

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
Sounds like fun. If I didn't already have a trip to UT/WY/MT/SD planned in May, I would consider joining you. The only time I Spent in/near Cherokee was driving along the Cherohala Skyway on my way to a drilling job at the TVA Appalachia Dam back in 2012. Absolutely beautiful area.
Man I want to get out west but my friends just don’t have the Vacation hours required to get out that way from Ohio. This will likely be a long weekend trip to Cherokee for us.

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

That would be much appreciated!
Here are a few places I’ve enjoyed:

- From Hwy 64 on the south side of the forest, cross over the Ocoee River at Powerhouse Number 3, at Thunder Rock. The road turns gravel as you pass the Thunder Rock entrance. About 3/4 of a mile before the intersection with FS 22 is a nice hilltop campsite on the left. Or, go on to 22 and turn left. There is a nice big campsite near the trailhead, near where the two roads intersect.There is a short road to backtrack up the hill. If you are feeling more adventurous, go further down a bit and turn right onto 2216, assuming the gate is open. While I haven’t camped there, I’ve seen the site at the end of that road, which is next to a nice size stream.

- From Hwy 64, head north at the ranger station and head up to the Chilhowee Camground area. If you continue on Oswald Road, past the campground, there are a couple of dispersed campsites along the ridge that overlook the valley. I think the first, and nicest, is not too far past the campground.

- I have also spent the night next to the stream at Lost Creek Campground, on FS 103. I was the only one there. Not sure how busy it gets this time of year. The Apalachia Powerhouse is neat to visit from the south side. There is a footbridge across the river there.

If I can think of anything else, I’ll post again.

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
Here are a few places I’ve enjoyed:

- From Hwy 64 on the south side of the forest, cross over the Ocoee River at Powerhouse Number 3, at Thunder Rock. The road turns gravel as you pass the Thunder Rock entrance. About 3/4 of a mile before the intersection with FS 22 is a nice hilltop campsite on the left. Or, go on to 22 and turn left. There is a nice big campsite near the trailhead, near where the two roads intersect.There is a short road to backtrack up the hill. If you are feeling more adventurous, go further down a bit and turn right onto 2216, assuming the gate is open. While I haven’t camped there, I’ve seen the site at the end of that road, which is next to a nice size stream.

- From Hwy 64, head north at the ranger station and head up to the Chilhowee Camground area. If you continue on Oswald Road, past the campground, there are a couple of dispersed campsites along the ridge that overlook the valley. I think the first, and nicest, is not too far past the campground.

- I have also spent the night next to the stream at Lost Creek Campground, on FS 103. I was the only one there. Not sure how busy it gets this time of year. The Apalachia Powerhouse is neat to visit from the south side. There is a footbridge across the river there.

If I can think of anything else, I’ll post again.
Much appreciated @Tundracamper

Reactions: Tundracamper

huachuca

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

tarboro nc
First Name
Al
Last Name
Killebrew
Member #

Currently planning a trip for Mid Spring to Smokeys and Cherokee NF area. I've not been in years to the Smokeys and it was only day hiking. I've never been to Cherokee. Looking for some recommendations in-terms of Overlanding, 4x4 and some hiking trails. Any help will be much appreciated!
I'd suggest you pick up copies of the USFS maps for both Nantahala and Cherokee National Forests; there's a District Office in Robbinsville and the staff there have been very helpful in the past when I've asked for suggestions. Joyce Kilmer Memorial Forest and the Joyce Kilmer-Slickrock Wilderness have several trails for day hikes and overnighters. There are numerous campsites on the creek side of 1134 heading from US 129 towards Joyce Kilmer. Horse Cove is a small USFS campground just outside the Memorial Forest and has flush johns and potable water (in season). There's a kiosk at the beginning of the Cherohala Skyway (Hwy 143) and FS81 starts on the back side of it. This FS road roughly follows Santeetlah Creek and the Skyway west into Tennessee with several waterside designated sites. It joins into FS roads in Cherokee NF which also offer camping options.

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
So I drove through Cherokee on Tuesday night to get to my stopping point in the Chatahootchee. Took Route 74 and it was a stunning drive even though it was dark. Can only imagine what it looked like in the day. I will definitely be back for a longer stay at some point

Reactions: Tundracamper