Smokey Mountains National Park/Cades Cove Area Trail Recommendations?

• HTML tutorial

chris_nc

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Whitsett, NC, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4RBL
Hey everyone,
My wife is interested in going out to the Cades Cove area for some birding and photography. Of course, I'm interested in taking the Jeep and doing some exploring. I've just started checking things out and even with the various MVUM, Topo, and NatGeo Illustrated map overlays in Gaia, I'm not seeing a lot of forest service roads or vehicle trails. It's mostly showing hiking and horse trails. Anyone on here familiar with this area or the area around Gatlinburg that might have some insight into areas to check out?

hjason.hay

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

US
Check out Martha Sundquist park/forest or Cherokee. GSMNP isn't going to have any trails other than a few unpaved roads. Rich Mountain road in Cades Cove is a gravel road that leads out of Cades Cove.

Reactions: chris_nc

chris_nc

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Whitsett, NC, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4RBL
Check out Martha Sundquist park/forest or Cherokee. GSMNP isn't going to have any trails other than a few unpaved roads. Rich Mountain road in Cades Cove is a gravel road that leads out of Cades Cove.
Wow, that was a fast response! Thanks for the feedback. I kind of suspected that was the case. I'll check out some of the other areas and see what I can find.

Walt

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Tulsa, OK, USA
Member #

I appreciate those replies, too. There has got to be tons of history and homesteads back there... not to mention, steams and waterfalls;
like the Ozarks, but way older.
The locals are probably pretty protective of their secrets. I hope to explore some of the Smokies beauties soon.