Smittybilt Scout Trailer (prototype build)

• HTML tutorial

Steve Mancini

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Aston, Pennsylvania, United States
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Mancini
Member #

So I have a pretty interesting build I have been working on as my Covid project and I thought I would take some time to detail out the build. Back in May I purchased a used Smittybilt Scout trailer that was apparently one of three prototypes that they created before they went into production. So mine was not exactly like what you can buy today but it’s close. The trailer itself had been sitting for sometime and needed some love, which I happily gave it.

I started by removing all that I could and getting it down to a bare box and frame. I cleaned it up and removed any surface rust and used a roll on raptor liner which actually turned out really nice. If you decide to do this make sure your work area is well ventilated as the stuff is nasty. Also getting it mixed properly is super important so be patient.

From there I painted the doors orange to match my 2015 Jeep but I did not like the way they turned out so I eventually wrapped them in vinyl and I loved the way they turned out, it really set it off. From there I added new wheels and a set of 37in Mickey Thompson Baja Boss tires. Currently I run 37in BFG KM3’s on the Jeep but I am planning ahead and these are the next tires I want to buy so I figured I would get the trailer ones now. Ideally, I do not want to carry a spare so by matching the tire size I can carry one spare for the Jeep and the trailer.

Now it was ready for at least a shake down run, but of course why have a trailer without a tent so I purchased a new CVT Mt. Rainer roof top tent. Honestly, that was one of the hardest parts, as during Covid I think everyone had the same idea and it was next to impossible to find camping gear and roof top tents where no different. But eventually CVT was nice enough to get me one and even gave me a discount which was nice as these things are not cheep.

With it now in a usable shape I took it to West Virginia for a long weekend with friends and while it performed great, I realized I still had a ways to go to get it where I needed it.

In coming posts I will share how I updated the following:
Suspension
Electrical System
Solar
On board Water
Hot water Shower
Sink and drop down table
Heated Mattress Pad (yes for cold nights this was awesome)

Please feel free to follow along on the build and let me know if you have any feedback or comments. I will gladly let you know what I was thinking and what I have learned throughout the build. You can also check out additional photos on instagram @SODIRTYJEEP

Attachments

BuckinghamBuilt

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Pasadena, MD
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Buckingham
Curious how the build process is going with this one. I'm interested in purchasing a Scout trailer (also considering a Taxa Woolly Bear).