Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Southside, TN, USA
First Name
Bud
Last Name
Bud
Member #

Does anybody know if a Smittybilt X20-12K GEN2 Comp Series Wireless Winch with Synthetic Rope, 98512 will mount directly to a ARB front bumper for a Land Rover LR3 or is there drilling or mounting bracket involved?

I hope I have this in the right thread area....

Jelorian

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

SF Bay Area, CA
Member #

I know this is a fairly old post. I have the same winch. I currently have it setup on a Curt hitch mount that goes into a Curt front hitch on my Suburban. I can't answer your question directly, but I do know that people were having issues with how to mount the hawse fairlead on the ARB bumper as it sits a bit forward. Also the mounting holes are along the bottom and most hawse fairleads have their mounting holes center on both ends. There are some vendors that sell offset hawse fairleads that could possibly work.

Good luck and I hope you find a solution.

Last edited:
Reactions: TN_4Runner

1derer

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Carlsbad, CA, USA
First Name
user
Last Name
name
Member #

I had a 1997 LX450 with ARB front winch bumper with the 8.5K and I need to add some spacers in order for the winch to clear (inside housing). I would guess not without some modification.

TN_4Runner

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Southside, TN, USA
First Name
Bud
Last Name
Bud
Member #

I had a 1997 LX450 with ARB front winch bumper with the 8.5K and I need to add some spacers in order for the winch to clear (inside housing). I would guess not without some modification.
Thanks for the info. If spacers were the only thing I need that would be awesome.

1derer

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Carlsbad, CA, USA
First Name
user
Last Name
name
Member #

Yeah without seeing/measuring inside impossible to really say. 12k i would think is overkill usually 1.5X truck weight is enough. I bet my Lexus was heavier.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

TN_4Runner

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Southside, TN, USA
First Name
Bud
Last Name
Bud
Member #

Yeah without seeing/measuring inside impossible to really say. 12k i would think is overkill usually 1.5X truck weight is enough. I bet my Lexus was heavier.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
Yeah I'm thinking about going with a Warn winch. I'd figure the ARB would fit just about any Warn. I know the 12k is overkill for most vehicles but the LR3 is really heavy and with all the gear it adds up even more and if I was ever stuck in some deep mud the suction would be bad. Better safe then sorry!

1derer

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Carlsbad, CA, USA
First Name
user
Last Name
name
Member #

Yeah I'm thinking about going with a Warn winch. I'd figure the ARB would fit just about any Warn. I know the 12k is overkill for most vehicles but the LR3 is really heavy and with all the gear it adds up even more and if I was ever stuck in some deep mud the suction would be bad. Better safe then sorry!
Yeah hard to go wrong with Warren ! Personally I'd suggest snatch blocks over bigger winch. I don't know the construction of the LR3 but make sure the ARB bumper is attached to steel frame rails that will support the load of such a pull. Frame looks good for a 12K but the front in this pic is not really shown.

TN_4Runner

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Southside, TN, USA
First Name
Bud
Last Name
Bud
Member #

Yeah hard to go wrong with Warren ! Personally I'd suggest snatch blocks over bigger winch. I don't know the construction of the LR3 but make sure the ARB bumper is attached to steel frame rails that will support the load of such a pull. Frame looks good for a 12K but the front in this pic is not really shown.

I totally neglected considering a snatch block! And this is why forums are awesome. I would definitely go for a smaller winch and it would be cheaper. Yeah the ARB bumpers have a good solid mount on the LR3. Thanks for the discussion!

Reactions: 1derer

jwalk72

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Round Rock, TX
Member #

For those who are still curious about Smittybuilt X2O 10k Synthetic. I installed one last weekend on my Lr3 with ARB bumper and it was fairly easy.

Things needed and adjustments:
  1. Purchase offset hawse fairlead (the one that comes with it does not fit unless you drill holes)
  2. I had to purchase two 10 x 1.5 bolts to replace stock one and the bottom of the winch. They were too short for the new fairlead.
  3. Clock the winch
  4. Alternative bracket for mounting on top of the bumper. I made the one that came with it work for me but prob a better way.
I think that's it. I'll update with photos soon.

IMG_7275.jpg IMG_7277.jpg IMG_7278.jpg IMG_7286.jpg IMG_7293.jpg IMG_7292.jpg IMG_7276.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1derer

Jhberria

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Lacey, WA
For those who are still curious about Smittybuilt X2O 10k Synthetic. I installed one last weekend on my Lr3 with ARB bumper and it was fairly easy.

Things needed and adjustments:
  1. Purchase offset hawse fairlead (the one that comes with it does not fit unless you drill holes)
  2. I had to purchase two 10 x 1.5 bolts to replace stock one and the bottom of the winch. They were too short for the new fairlead.
  3. Clock the winch
  4. Alternative bracket for mounting on top of the bumper. I made the one that came with it work for me but prob a better way.
I think that's it. I'll update with photos soon.
It looks like the requirements for mounting a Smittybilt winch in an ARB bumper are fairly standardized, regardless of vehicle. I have an Xterra with an ARB bumper and Smittybilt XRC 9500, and I also had to:

1. Purchase an offset hawse fairlead. I purchased the Custom Splice offset hawse. Great product.
2. Purchase two new mounting bolts for the fairlead and winch because of the increased depth/thickness of the new fairlead.
3. Clock the winch. I'm not going to elaborate, because this was the first time I've ever performed this process and the emotional wounds are still too fresh to reopen.
4. I didn't be to do this, although I could have. I used 3m super strength tape to secure the control box to the top of the bumper. It's clean, strong, and effective.