Launch Member

Member III

Harlem, GA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Lyons
Member #

I have seen a lot of really cool off road trailers. Some cost thousands while other go the DIY route (which is awesome!). Some have all the goodies, even a bed, while others are little more than a camp kitchen on wheels. I realize that everyones needs/wants are different. I getting ready to start my own trailer build and I would like it to be as nimble as possible, but without making it so small that it becomes really unfeasible to use.

Going over my own needs/wants list I came up with the following:
* used as a base camp
* maybe install an RTT, maybe, I currently use a ground tent I am happy with that for now and I have dogs
* camp kitchen (stove, fridge, etc)
* storage for camp items such as sleeping bags and what not

Mainly I am looking to move stuff out of my little Isuzu Vehicross to make more space for dogs (my wife just got us a third). I have some roof storage, but right now I just use that for a fuel can and some items that don't mind being in the weather and I am not really looking to add more weight to the top.

My question is what is smallest trailer that can be used effectively for off road use? 5'x5'? 4'x4'? Smaller?

Thanks for any replies!

Captain Chaos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

No
First Name
No
Last Name
No
My Bantam is 4’x6’, and We have no trouble pulling it anywhere. It has a RTT, and can holders. My kitchen is just a plywood shelf hung ove a fender though. There is a Dometic Cfx65dz inside the trailer, but getting into it while the tent is deployed is a bit of a pain.
3FBE79BB-413D-4CC1-98B1-C72A03AE7892.jpeg F3A00F6D-7563-4D9E-ADAB-7FEB16FE4385.jpeg

This may be to much for what you’re thinking of doing, a 4’x4’ Harbor Freight trailer may be ideal for you. You would have to build it though. I would check Craigslist and Facebook marketplace. Loads of trailer end up for sale on both. You’ll find something.
If you’re happy with a ground tent, I would stick with it. You could easily have a slide out with all your kitchen stuff, and have storage.
Have you checked out the trailer forums here, and other places like Expedition Portal? I scoured through builds deciding what I wanted. Tnttt.com is a forum that has tons of info also.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

As said above - it's easy to fill whatever available space you have. I like going out for months at a time, and often help others with off-grid projects at their place, so haul a lot more than some folks might. I had two different 1/4 ton military trailers and was going to rig one up for basecamping and long-distance traveling, but in the end decided on a 1ton trailer with a cargo area as big as a long bed pickup and payload capacity of 2375 lbs.

Having open, non-dedicated cargo space is key to me. Then I can arrange loads the way I want, depending on what the next trip is about and where I'm going, or can use it around home for other chores. That's why I like top and end loading, too, not just one or the other. Top only with no tailgate limits you, especially if you have a tent on top. Tailgate only is limiting, too.

@vegasjeepguy is right; make it as big a footprint as a stowed RTT, even if you don't get an RTT right away. You may eventually, and having a trailer that will handle it will be a huge head start.

The thing to figure in your case for size, I would think, is what you're going to carry in it the most and how often. How flexible do you want it to be. Do you want it to be self-sufficient as basecamp with its own power, or simply a cargo trailer with no power of its own.

Kitchen needs can be met quite flexibly and not be completely built-in. I like having my kitchen box mobile, with two-burner stove, pans, utensils, spices etc all in one box, so I can use it with my van or trailer. Same with the fridge, I can put it in my van or trailer.

So, based on your stated needs and desires, I'd keep it flexible and easily modifiable. Then, as time goes on you'll know more just exactly what you want your trailer to do.

Good luck with it man, let us know what you end up doing!

Last edited:

Thelgord

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Harlem, GA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Lyons
Member #

Thank you all for the replies. Right now my "kitchen" just goes into a cheep plastic storage box. Nothing fancy at all. 2 burner propane stove, utensils, dishes, etcetera. It works, mostly. I would like to find a way to better organize stuff. Right now camp setup takes about a half-hour to forty-five minutes, including starting to cook. It's not terrible, but I know it could be faster with just better organization. That's why I was thinking of a trailer. Everything in spot. My "adventure rig" is also my daily driver. It is not uncommon to pack everything up, get to a camp site, then realize I forgot something. I am thinking that if I had a trailer just "ready to go" it would make my life that much easier.

@Captain Chaos Love your setup :)

Captain Chaos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

No
First Name
No
Last Name
No
Thank you all for the replies. Right now my "kitchen" just goes into a cheep plastic storage box. Nothing fancy at all. 2 burner propane stove, utensils, dishes, etcetera. It works, mostly. I would like to find a way to better organize stuff. Right now camp setup takes about a half-hour to forty-five minutes, including starting to cook. It's not terrible, but I know it could be faster with just better organization. That's why I was thinking of a trailer. Everything in spot. My "adventure rig" is also my daily driver. It is not uncommon to pack everything up, get to a camp site, then realize I forgot something. I am thinking that if I had a trailer just "ready to go" it would make my life that much easier.

@Captain Chaos Love your setup :)
Thank you!

I’m planning another trailer now. Going to convert a cargo trailer. The fridge is moving to the Jeep. We want to be able to get out of the rain easier. I have not found a trailer as of yet.

Reactions: Thelgord

Thelgord

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Harlem, GA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Lyons
Member #

Just as a side note, it would seem Harbor Freight is selling trailers again.

F250INTX

Rank 0

Traveler I

Eddy, TX
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5RWN
I have and wheel in an F250 with a Four Wheel camper... wife likes some amenities ;) When by myself with just my Dog I tent camp. Wanted a setup for gear that I could leave as base camp and also haul a few toys.. Also wanted to be able to use with camper for extra gear on long trips. So I had a Trekmate trailer built for me. Great price and builder works with us to customize. I'd say check them out.tentcamp.jpg

Reactions: Jorrie and Wolf427

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

Lowes sells a 3 x 5 trailer, which is the basis for my current DIY build. I plan on an elevated rooftop tent set up, and we use the three case method of storing goods. Should work perfectly for us.

James

F250INTX

Rank 0

Traveler I

Eddy, TX
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5RWN
@F250INTX What are the dimensions on that trailer? I really like it.
EDITED TO CHANGE SIZE!!!! 4X6 main body there are actually two boxes. As in those pics that is the main box. The front area has a removable box. That box (looks the same) has my refrigerator and battery / solar setup for trips if Refrige and power needed. Lousy pic but you can see the front box added for that trip.20180325_115953.jpg

Last edited: