Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Albuquerque NM
First Name
Jesse
Last Name
Raether
Member #

I am curious what people are using for their sleeping pads in a ground tent. I have always used a few flimsy pads piled up with questionable comfort. After researching thicker pads I am finding that they are quite expensive. I have a family of 5 and am looking for comfort. A large full or queen blow up mattress just wont work with five people.

We are good on sleeping bags just looking for advise on more comfortable sleeping pad options.

We are using a REI base camp 6. I am thinking about jumping on a Gazelle T4 (on sale for $194). The girls are small so i think we will all fit in there.

Last edited:

bawesomfels

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Phoenix, AZ
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Ockenfels
Member #

Service Branch
Army
It's not pretty, and it's quite narrow, but I love my issued sleeping pad and I'm going to buy my own when I get have to turn it in. Bonus feature! It fits inside a sleep system if you are sleeping on the ground and want to avoid punctures.

http://a.co/d/9xk5Thh

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@Utilityman
I am curious what people are using for their sleeping pads in a ground tent.
I use the https://www.klymit.com/static-v-luxe-sleeping-pad.html Works great on the trail or in the back of the 4Runner. Inflates with about 10-15 breaths ( depending on altitude :D ) Got mine for a good deal at Costco during one of their pop-up road show events. Last time I was at the used gear exchange down in Denver they had a full set of single, double, and Jr sizes for a good price. Looks like they stil have them and even dropped the price: https://www.outdoorsgeek.com/product-category/buy-now-used/sleeping-pads-buy-now-used/

Boort

Reactions: Road

Dr Gil

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Gil
Last Name
Kajiki
I am curious what people are using for their sleeping pads in a ground tent. I have always used a few flimsy pads piled up with questionable comfort. After researching thicker pads I am finding that they are quite expensive. I have a family of 5 and am looking for comfort. A large full or queen blow up mattress just wont work with five people.

We are good on sleeping bags just looking for advise on more comfortable sleeping pad options.

We are using a REI base camp 6. I am thinking about jumping on a Gazelle T4 (on sale for $194). The girls are small so i think we will all fit in there.
I've been through many, and read way too many reviews. This past season I got an Exped Megamat 10. Total game changer. So comfortable. R Value 9.5. (You could sleep on top of snow and still not be cold with the proper bag) Wide and durable.

Reactions: Utilityman

Utilityman

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Albuquerque NM
First Name
Jesse
Last Name
Raether
Member #

@Utilityman

I use the https://www.klymit.com/static-v-luxe-sleeping-pad.html Works great on the trail or in the back of the 4Runner. Inflates with about 10-15 breaths ( depending on altitude :D ) Got mine for a good deal at Costco during one of their pop-up road show events. Last time I was at the used gear exchange down in Denver they had a full set of single, double, and Jr sizes for a good price. Looks like they stil have them and even dropped the price: https://www.outdoorsgeek.com/product-category/buy-now-used/sleeping-pads-buy-now-used/

Boort
Im glad you recommended Klymit. I have one of the backpacking pads and it was pretty awesome the few times I've used it. I'll definitely put one of the kids on it next time we go out. I'll grab it from the backpacking box and put it in the overlanding boxes.

As for the specific pad you recommended. I'll wait for it to hit Massdrop and see what the price is. My guess is the $80 price point.

Utilityman

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Albuquerque NM
First Name
Jesse
Last Name
Raether
Member #

I've been through many, and read way too many reviews. This past season I got an Exped Megamat 10. Total game changer. So comfortable. R Value 9.5. (You could sleep on top of snow and still not be cold with the proper bag) Wide and durable.

The Megamat is next level awesomness. If we go this route I wont regret one bit. The kids certainly don't need this but my wife would love a big mat!

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

Im glad you recommended Klymit. I have one of the backpacking pads and it was pretty awesome the few times I've used it. I'll definitely put one of the kids on it next time we go out. I'll grab it from the backpacking box and put it in the overlanding boxes.

As for the specific pad you recommended. I'll wait for it to hit Massdrop and see what the price is. My guess is the $80 price point.
I've seen a handful of different versions show up on Massdrop off and on since I got mine. Deals have varied from good to "Eh?". Keep an eye out for the kit with the pad and inflation "pump" for under $100. This summer I found out that mine is a bit too old to use the pump (bought and had to send back since the pump could not fit my valves)

Boort

Dr Gil

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Gil
Last Name
Kajiki
The Megamat is next level awesomness. If we go this route I wont regret one bit. The kids certainly don't need this but my wife would love a big mat!

I bought 2 singles. When the wife goes I use a webbing strap and a Queen fitted sheet to hold them together. I mostly go without her so I can then use a single mat.

Last edited:

Plasmajab

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Quinte West, Ontario, Canada
First Name
Ian
Last Name
Howard
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA3IRA

Utilityman

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Albuquerque NM
First Name
Jesse
Last Name
Raether
Member #

This is what I have:

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/woods-expedition-adventurer-ultra-light-revo-rs-mat-0763204p.html#srp

Its pretty dang comfy to be honest, but sleeping on it maxed out kind of hurts my back. So what I do is fill it up and let about 1 second of air back out and its perfect.

But buying 5 of these guys for your family is going to be expensive. Have you considered hammock camping? Depending on the age of your kids its pretty fun and uses minimal space in the rig.

Those mats are cool. When I used to backpack before kids I would hammock camp. I've got a warbonnet hammock. I'm sure when the kids get a bit older I'll be booted from the tent and into the hammock.

The hammock took a few trips to get used to but I did like being off the ground.

Lunch Box

Rank IV

Advocate II

It's not pretty, and it's quite narrow, but I love my issued sleeping pad and I'm going to buy my own when I get have to turn it in. Bonus feature! It fits inside a sleep system if you are sleeping on the ground and want to avoid punctures.

http://a.co/d/9xk5Thh
If you insist on a GI Thermarest, buy one NEW. I've had quite a few 'like new' surplus ones come through here and none of them could hold air overnight. Probably why they got DX'ed. I've still got a couple I can't get rid of.

I second what people said about Klymit. I have this one:

https://www.klymit.com/inertia-xl-ultralight-sleeping-pad.html

Rolls up smaller than a beer can and works very well. My .02

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
I'm solo 99% of the time so I'm in the bed of my truck on padded carpet in a warm bag. I use a bed tent without a bottom.

Normal Thomas

Rank 0

Contributor I

My son and I use Exped Synmat UL LW pad that have been warm even on night that the temp dips a bit. For quilts we went with the Enlightened Equipment Revolation 20, they have been great, VERY warm - packs up tight - weighs only 20 oz.

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
For a pad I use an Exped Downmat 9 dlx, it's expensive but provides a lot of insulation from the ground (R8)

Up top I use a Zenbivy. I really like the quilt setup and it packs down small. I sleep cold and have had the Zenbivy down into the high 30s where it worked fine, but I was not 100% warm enough. I've since bought a $100 Massdrop downblanket to layer on top on cold nights and have been really enjoying this sleep system.

Todd & Meg

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

My wife and I use the Downmat 9 also. But we also use a BA Cabin Creek double bag. The best thing we have bought for camping. We've used it to the mid 20's and were fine. With the pads we can get them just as comfortable as our Sleep Comfort bed. Nothing better than playing footies while camping on a cold night.

Todd

Rexplorer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Educator I

Lake Country, BC, Canada
Member #

I used to use a small thermarest type thing. Now i use a bigger one. 2+ inches thick and full length. A real game changer. Takes up a bit more space but worth every bit. And a pillow. A real pillow.

BlackSheepExpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Explorer I

Maiden North Carolina
First Name
John
Last Name
Bellesfield
Member #

REI makes an inflatable bed that is very comfortable.. We use different things depending on the season in our ground tent. REI 3.5 Self inflation sleeping pads or Cots with the sleeping pads to be off the ground in cold weather or long base camp set ups.

Reactions: John Hogewoning

Edy Coyote

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Denver CO
First Name
Edy
Last Name
Coyote
Member #

I use a military surplus MSS sleep system. Which is modular vortex "sleeping bag." Being modular I can use it in all climates. Have used it in the desert in summer and elk hunting Colorado in winter. Good so far.