Skid plates and sliders

• HTML tutorial

O.Dfj

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Foothill Farms
Member #

Im curious about everyones take on skid plates on sliders. What's you opinion on what's needed? Personally I want as much protection as I can get. Do you prefer aluminum or steel for skids? Hoepfully we can get enough input so folks can use this to figure out what their wants and needs are.

maktruk

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Member #

For reference:

Front bumper, should have integrated or attached radiator protection.

Dependent on vehicle, some skids may cover more parts than others.

Engine/oilpan: usually, not always, same skid

Transmission/Transfer case: sometimes, not usually same skid.

Gas tank. Important, usually overlooked. Plastic tanks these days can be field repaired as well as steel could back in the day.

Rear bumper: I'm in a pickup. Eventually, when I design/order a rear, it will have wraparounds for the rear bedsides. Also integrated 2" hitch receiver, because my current one kills my departure angle.

Reactions: O.Dfj

Daniel Etter

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fishers, IN
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Etter
Member #

I like my steel skids and they have saved my sensitive areas on numerous occasions where aluminum would have been destroyed. Steel does add weight, but if you high center on aluminum, it might bend and still cause damage, where as steel has a better armor. If your worried about weight, then look at other areas that you could cut weight from.

Reactions: RichardS

aearles

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

USA
Thats what my sliders and skid plates look like the Rubicon made sure I knocked the mall crawler right off.
Hard for me to tell from your photos, how are your white knuckles holding up? Just cosmetic? I just ordered a set from them in 0.188 DOM for my 7,500lb truck.

Reactions: crit_pw

Kelly

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Member Rep
Launch Member

Traveler III

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
It seems like, if you're constantly running trails that cause you to hit bottom, then steel makes a ton (pun intended ;-) of sense. But if you spend more time in sand & mud, the weight is not your friend. If you keep your tires on the big obstacles, your sliders will take the brunt. I'm leaning towards aluminum undercarriage plates, and steel sliders.

aearles

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

USA
IMG_0001.JPG I don't know how common this is in aftermarket, but I think the way Dodge designed the skids for the power wagon to be light weight is pretty genius, and seems easy enough to replicate DIY.

Stoute

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Portland, Oregon
Member #

First modification I made was to add sliders (double wall steel). I run a vehicle that isn't widely supported, Toyota Sequoia, so most things have to be custom made. That said we're working with a fabricator in California to build a rear bumper to protect that massive rear end. Next up will be to replace the lower link mounts with something a little more substantial.

After that will be bumpers front and rear, then skid plates on the underside.

I figure for a worst case scenario the steel skids will protect against more allowing me to get off the trail and back to safety if needed. It'll kill my gas mileage a little but it offers up a lot of piece of mind when hearing the rock that I just slid on to smash the underside.

maktruk

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Member #

View attachment 10214 I don't know how common this is in aftermarket, but I think the way Dodge designed the skids for the power wagon to be light weight is pretty genius, and seems easy enough to replicate DIY.
Thin gauge steel, about the same as my OEM's (which I haven't yet replaced)

Offers good skid protection, naught against crush/puncture.

If you got hung on a rock the weight of the rig would demolish those. Full steel skids usually offer minor load bearing properties so you can safely drag yourself across.

Realistically, skids are for rocks. If you're not doing serious crawls, OEM works fine

Reactions: aearles

maktruk

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Member #

Hard for me to tell from your photos, how are your white knuckles holding up? Just cosmetic? I just ordered a set from them in 0.188 DOM for my 7,500lb truck.
White Knuckle makes bomb sliders. I joked today that I need to Bondo them before I paint the rock rash 'cause the gouges are so deep. They rash, but they ain't bent yet. They hold the full weight of the truck just fine. Watch that clip.

Reactions: aearles