Single unified communication system for Overland Bound members

• HTML tutorial

Wouldn't you want to be a part of a unified communication system for all Overland Bound members?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Greg767

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Hollywood, South Carolina, United States
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Collette
Member #

Service Branch
United States Navy
I was wondering why there isn't an agreed upon single comm system in place that Overland Bound members use. I know that I haven't pulled the trigger on any one comm type because I don't want to spend the money to find out later that there isn't anyone out there.

So, if we've are over 10,000 members and counting why can't we establish an Overland Bound standard communication system and all agree to use that as our primary means of contact on the trail?

I hear all the talk about HAM, CB, and the rest of the alphabet soup of radios but wouldn't it be great to know if I see a badge that I can say hello too?

I also know that if I knew I'd be able to talk to everyone else in the Overland Bound system for a trail ride or meet up or even communicate with everyone at the Expo annual meetings in Arizona and North Carolina, I would buy that system today.

All of us could benefit from a single radio system and a few channels that we know everyone would be listening in on. Like channel 19 on CB's back in the late 70's early 80's.

CSTrooper

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Vallejo, CA
Member #

I was wondering why there isn't an agreed upon single comm system in place that Overland Bound members use. I know that I haven't pulled the trigger on any one comm type because I don't want to spend the money to find out later that there isn't anyone out there.

So, if we've are over 10,000 members and counting why can't we establish an Overland Bound standard communication system and all agree to use that as our primary means of contact on the trail?

I hear all the talk about HAM, CB, and the rest of the alphabet soup of radios but wouldn't it be great to know if I see a badge that I can say hello too?

I also know that if I knew I'd be able to talk to everyone else in the Overland Bound system for a trail ride or meet up or even communicate with everyone at the Expo annual meetings in Arizona and North Carolina, I would buy that system today.

All of us could benefit from a single radio system and a few channels that we know everyone would be listening in on. Like channel 19 on CB's back in the late 70's early 80's.
Hey! So I am I licensed HAM. Over the last week I decided I wanted to build a mobile repeater for use on the trail to ensure reliable comms between all the rigs on the ride from the leader to those bringing up the rear. Plus to maintain comms between say, a scouting party and base camp, without having to worry about signal loss or interference with normal use of a ham repeater (assuming you’re even in range of one). While that wouldn’t necessarily fill the void you’re talking about, I think it’s worth mentioning for everyone’s benefit that with a liiittle bit of know how, a lot of patience, some moderate reading (to ensure understanding), two boafeng radios, and a YouTube video, my cousin and I set up a working repeater in our house. We ordered a couple more radios and some parts and antennas to hardwire them together in an ammo can with a power supply and in a couple weeks we should have a working mobile 5w repeater box that we can turn on and distribute radios and/or repeater info to all rigs and have crystal clear, reliable comms for the duration of our trip. The low output and be compensated for with how high we place our antennas. Anyway, super cool and I’m way excited that I was able to make it work with just a little effort. Best of luck and I’ll see you on the trails!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
It would be nice to be able to chat with fellow OB's on a common channel, when seen on the roadways. Now to find that channel/frequency that all can agree on...

Captain Chaos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

No
First Name
No
Last Name
No
While I do think this is a good idea, I don’t see how it will work. There’s to many opinions as to which system to use. For it to be Ham or GMRS, everyone has to be licensed. I have a cb as back up for my Ham, and I believe everyone should have a properly set up cb as a secondary radio. Is that the “right” idea? Probably not, it’s just my opinion. Whenever someone mentions cb, a percentage of users state that they would never install a cb because (insert opinion here)...
To suggest everyone spend their hard earned money, (or easily earned money, I do not belong to this particular group) on a license to talk to others will bring controversy also. There is also a small group that says the FCC will never catch me anyway. If 10000+ individuals start broadcasting illegally, you can bet the FCC will crack down. And, yes, they can find you, easily. And the fine is something like $300 and confiscation of all radio equipment.
A 5w repeater is a cool idea, but again, everyone broadcasting on that repeater has to have a license.

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

While I do think this is a good idea, I don’t see how it will work. There’s to many opinions as to which system to use. For it to be Ham or GMRS, everyone has to be licensed. I have a cb as back up for my Ham, and I believe everyone should have a properly set up cb as a secondary radio. Is that the “right” idea? Probably not, it’s just my opinion. Whenever someone mentions cb, a percentage of users state that they would never install a cb because (insert opinion here)...
To suggest everyone spend their hard earned money, (or easily earned money, I do not belong to this particular group) on a license to talk to others will bring controversy also. There is also a small group that says the FCC will never catch me anyway. If 10000+ individuals start broadcasting illegally, you can bet the FCC will crack down. And, yes, they can find you, easily. And the fine is something like $300 and confiscation of all radio equipment.
A 5w repeater is a cool idea, but again, everyone broadcasting on that repeater has to have a license.
Totally agree. The cost of the equipment, getting all your friends to invest. The license would be a MAJOR issue with the HAM radios. Some non-technical members would have trouble passing the exam, no disrespect intended. It would be a great idea but I dont see this happening. Maybe coming up with a list of channels for the different types of radios would work. There are sites for 2m 4x4 channels for different states. The one I use is 4x4 ham.com so when we go to Colorado I have the 10 channels plus emergency channels loaded in just in case we would run into trouble.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Good idea but! Maybe if we all agree that there is a certain ch on ham and GMRS that we monitor that might be a good first start. Here in the Sierra Foothills it is almost universal that we all monitor 146.46, this is generally considered the off road freq in the west. Our club also monitors GMRS 15 mainly because we can talk on a higher power setting and we loan out GMRS radios to people that only have CB so we have a common comms. The GMRS lic is 10 years now so that makes it more palatable to those that don't want to get the ham.

Theoretician

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Tijeras, NM
Member #

Why not settle on the five basic MURS channels? VHF for advantageous physics over CB, no license required for 2W transmissions, small number of standard channels for easy scanning, and baofeng makes some $15 dollars handhelds. One could argue legality since I don’t believe there are any base station or mobile level type certified radios, but I’ll take fault over dealing with licenses and call signs for everyone involved.

Greg767

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Greg
Last Name
Collette
Member #

Service Branch
United States Navy
Liking the dialog, good thoughts from everyone. Lets keep it going!
-" small number of channels for easy scanning...."
-"...all monitor 146.46, this is generally considered the off road freq in the west..."
-..."Our club also monitors GMRS 15 mainly because we can talk on a higher power setting and we loan out GMRS radios to people that only have CB so we have a common comms..."

I personally would like to see Overland Bound in general have an input towards this too. If we can establish a common channel for each system, that would at least be a start. I live in Florida, where there is not a lot of overlanding opportunity compared to Colorado. When I do begin to travel, it would be nice to know that when I see another overlander, I can reach out to them rather quickly and reliably.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Liking the dialog, good thoughts from everyone. Lets keep it going!
-" small number of channels for easy scanning...."
-"...all monitor 146.46, this is generally considered the off road freq in the west..."
-..."Our club also monitors GMRS 15 mainly because we can talk on a higher power setting and we loan out GMRS radios to people that only have CB so we have a common comms..."

I personally would like to see Overland Bound in general have an input towards this too. If we can establish a common channel for each system, that would at least be a start. I live in Florida, where there is not a lot of overlanding opportunity compared to Colorado. When I do begin to travel, it would be nice to know that when I see another overlander, I can reach out to them rather quickly and reliably.
This has been talked about on the forum at great lengths. And Overland Bound is talking about this very thing. Currently there is a conversation going on about common ham frequencies on our back channel but it got way to complicated for me. Ill bring this up during a conference call Im going to have with OLB HQ.
You can search the forum for similar ideas, there is lots of info on radios, ham vs GMRS and CB and so on. . We need to keep it simple and try to advise our members what is available. The FCC has made it not simple and after the re-farming of frequencies some time ago there where more channels available but who got them is a ?.
In the West Region one of our goals is to come up with a permanent solution to this problem, we stress ham first then GMRS second. I am trying to get an assistant ambassador to each meet-up and this topic is one of their talking points.

Ron W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Herriman, UT, USA
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Wilkinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRQT933
Service Branch
US Navy
On many of the "forums" I belong to here in Utah the general consensus is HAM radio. I am currently running a CB. My plans are to get my HAM license, but there are hand held GMRS radios reasonably priced. Question though, with a HAM license do you need a separate one for GMRS?

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
On many of the "forums" I belong to here in Utah the general consensus is HAM radio. I am currently running a CB. My plans are to get my HAM license, but there are hand held GMRS radios reasonably priced. Question though, with a HAM license do you need a separate one for GMRS?
technically yes you do. But since it is easy to program a ham radio most dont. GMRS radios are set to the GMRS frequencies.

Reactions: Ron W.

Ron W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Herriman, UT, USA
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Wilkinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRQT933
Service Branch
US Navy

Greg767

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Greg
Last Name
Collette
Member #

Service Branch
United States Navy
If you’ve read the thread to this point, please take a second to vote too.

As far as the GMRS radios, are the licenses needed just because you have the equipment? I know HAM has a practical exam with theory and regulations. Is the GMRS similar?

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
If you’ve read the thread to this point, please take a second to vote too.

As far as the GMRS radios, are the licenses needed just because you have the equipment? I know HAM has a practical exam with theory and regulations. Is the GMRS similar?
No GMRS is just an on line app and the lic is good for ten years. The main reason for the GMRS lic. is so people will only buy GMRS radios and stay off the Ham frequencies. The GMRS radios are almost idiot proof, no programing just use it.

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
You'll also find that there are reasonably price Handheld HAMs also.

Reactions: Ron W.

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Ankeny, IA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

I'd prefer everyone be a HAM, because you at least have to learn a little bit about RF, propagation ... how it works. It works better, even using a super cheap baofeng on a simplex freq.

I get that people are non technical, but you can basically memorize a set of multiple choice questions and get the tech license. It isn't difficult.

I really want to be inclusive though, and GMRS is cheap and idiot proof. I do feel like if you take this hobby seriously you should be willing to invest a few days in studying and $15 (is what mine cost) to take the test and get the license. It's cheaper than the GMRS license!

I really don't understand how anyone can be happy with CB. Granted my investment in CB is limited to a Cobra 75 and a firestick 4'... it SWR is properly tuned and it SUCKS. See... if you get a HAM license.. you will know WHY it sucks. AM vs FM modulation, etc.

Ron W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Herriman, UT, USA
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Wilkinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRQT933
Service Branch
US Navy
I really don't understand how anyone can be happy with CB. Granted my investment in CB is limited to a Cobra 75 and a firestick 4'... it SWR is properly tuned and it SUCKS. See... if you get a HAM license.. you will know WHY it sucks. AM vs FM modulation, etc.
I still have my CB because I was a truck driver for many years and still like talking with other drivers while on the road, especially drivers from companies I drove for. I have been very happy with my CB, so I can't fully agree with it "sucks", but I do see your argument on the limitations and the need for better comms.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
I still have my CB because I was a truck driver for many years and still like talking with other drivers while on the road, especially drivers from companies I drove for. I have been very happy with my CB, so I can't fully agree with it "sucks", but I do see your argument on the limitations and the need for better comms.
Good perspective, CB is increasingly getting worse more because of the AM band being saturated with lots of interference. What we need is a stable platform and for those not wanting to put the effort out for a Ham Lic. GMRS is perfect.