Simple Truck Bed/Fridge Slide (like an actual slide)

• HTML tutorial

PapaDave

Local Expert Northern ID and North East WA

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
@Michael posted a video about my Pull Kitchen and I’ve had a number of questions about my fridge and slide.

So some basic info:
2018 Tacoma with a composite 5ft bed
Diamondback Cover
Dometic 75DZ that just clears underneath

Standard fridge slides purchased on the market add to the overall height of the fridge, so I made a simple slide to move 1/2 of my gear in and out easily, like a bed slide.

To be clear it’s a tray that literally slides, no drawer sliders used. I made it of 1” angle iron and 1/2” square tube welded. The bottom is riveted aluminum sheet. The end that goes all the way into the bed has 2 T nuts that slide in C channels which are anchored to the bed. So when you extend the slide out it can handle the weight of the fridge past the tail gate. Then when I’m not camping I just pull out the slide and my Pull Kitchen.

I routed power back to my bed and installed a power panel that the fridge runs off of. I love the freezer and fridge. My tradition on trips now is to pass out ice cream bars to everyone. :)
5B2B50F3-B6C4-4651-9332-8D818967DB5D.jpeg3096B948-EEBF-403A-B9E2-C837A4F7CF9D.jpeg43A69561-A9D7-4749-A486-8A5F25834119.jpegDAD65C23-4344-4EC4-9822-64A9F07C80DA.jpeg930CD1FD-2949-41C7-9855-0D56363E628B.jpeg
AF5E5271-8561-4B54-ACA1-7F13F25865F3.jpeg
02611C0F-CBEB-4644-9F1C-AC52506317A8.jpeg3FF9EE7B-9773-46EF-97F4-2BA06D15B752.jpegCD0CDF50-AEDB-4CE9-B144-D2F1CF0485A3.jpegBC89E0EF-F9EF-4249-AE51-451FE6CC344D.jpeg1F7EFBFF-7DA5-4038-A73F-1434E17B47CA.jpeg

The slide is used at minute 8:45

Last edited:

Rchr

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Brownsville, Texas
First Name
Javier
Last Name
Escobedo
Member #

Really really interesting! I would like to know a little more please.

Does it have a stop or are you just careful when you pull the slide out?

What channel did you use for the bottom slide?

Do you have to lift the tray a little when you are pulling it?

Reactions: PapaDave

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Are those Kreg Traks you used on the bed?

I have a bunch I used on 4'x8' assembly table for cabinet work and thought of doing the same thing for a half length (about 6') slide on one side of my van. I already have two 8' lengths of e-track in a 3/4" ply floor, so it would be no trouble to recess two Kreg Traks in place to one side for a slide.

Again, @PapaDave - cool, impressive work.

PapaDave

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
Really really interesting! I would like to know a little more please.

Does it have a stop or are you just careful when you pull the slide out?

What channel did you use for the bottom slide?

Do you have to lift the tray a little when you are pulling it?
No stop, but you’ll see I painted a white line on the side that when it reaches the end of the tailgate I know I have to be careful going any further. I used a standard 1/4 C channel meant for table saws. And I don’t really have to lift I just pull on the fridge handle in the whole drawer slides out.

PapaDave

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
Are those Kreg Traks you used on the bed?

I have a bunch I used on 4'x8' assembly table for cabinet work and thought of doing the same thing for a half length (about 6') slide on one side of my van. I already have two 8' lengths of e-track in a 3/4" ply floor, so it would be no trouble to recess two Kreg Traks in place to one side for a slide.

Again, @PapaDave - cool, impressive work.
I think the brand might have been Kreg. Essentially that you have the idea, nothing complicated about it but it works great

Reactions: Road

PapaDave

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
T nuts to anchor the front end. I glued them so they wouldn’t unscrew 88499BAF-383C-4BD9-B8CF-06A715AC29F8.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Road

PapaDave

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
So the power panel is a Waterwich from amazon, and I chose the 3 switch option to power area lights, cargo lights, and my bed mounted compressor. The lights are on my rack which goes and off the vehicle. I used a fuse box wired to the battery to power all my accessories and ran wiring back to the bed. The compressor is in the cubby using expedition essentials mount, which is awesome. On the power panel I swapped out a standard outlet for ARB’s screw in plug for my Dometic 75DZ fridge, yup it works :)

Last edited:

tacopartyof4

Rank 0

Contributor I

Madisonville, LA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
@Michael posted a video about my Pull Kitchen and I’ve had a number of questions about my fridge and slide.

So some basic info:
2018 Tacoma with a composite 5ft bed
Diamondback Cover
Dometic 75DZ that just clears underneath

Standard fridge slides purchased on the market add to the overall height of the fridge, so I made a simple slide to move 1/2 of my gear in and out easily, like a bed slide.

To be clear it’s a tray that literally slides, no drawer sliders used. I made it of 1” angle iron and 1/2” square tube welded. The bottom is riveted aluminum sheet. The end that goes all the way into the bed has 2 T nuts that slide in C channels which are anchored to the bed. So when you extend the slide out it can handle the weight of the fridge past the tail gate. Then when I’m not camping I just pull out the slide and my Pull Kitchen.

I routed power back to my bed and installed a power panel that the fridge runs off of. I love the freezer and fridge. My tradition on trips now is to pass out ice cream bars to everyone. :)
View attachment 111573View attachment 111574View attachment 111572View attachment 111577View attachment 111576
View attachment 111575
View attachment 111579View attachment 111580View attachment 111581View attachment 111582View attachment 111578

The slide is used at minute 8:45
After I bought the factory slide for my dometic 75 i found out it wouldn't work with my diamondback. I wonder if I could take the slide apart and use c channel to attach it?

PapaDave

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
After I bought the factory slide for my dometic 75 i found out it wouldn't work with my diamondback. I wonder if I could take the slide apart and use c channel to attach it?
You totally could. Anchoring the C channel takes a little bit of time but this solution has worked well for me. The only thing I might change is building a slide that matches my kitchen.

Reactions: tacopartyof4

SSGJKJ

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Elgin IL
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Johnston
Member #

This is awesome, I have a diamondback and love it. I have been trying to figure out the best solution for it.
I will be using your ideas master JEDI.

JJ

amcottin

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Hanover, MD, USA
First Name
Andres
Last Name
Cottin
Member #

Awesome write up. I have a bit of a different set up that I need to bolt on my Tundra bed and have been looking into what is the best way to anchor something (in this case the c channels) to the bed. Can you clarify how yours are bolted to the Bed?

PapaDave

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
Awesome write up. I have a bit of a different set up that I need to bolt on my Tundra bed and have been looking into what is the best way to anchor something (in this case the c channels) to the bed. Can you clarify how yours are bolted to the Bed?
I drilled through the composite bed and just put screws all the way through. If I did it again I would use rivnuts into the bed, but my bolts through with washers worked fine

Reactions: amcottin

amcottin

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Hanover, MD, USA
First Name
Andres
Last Name
Cottin
Member #

I drilled through the composite bed and just put screws all the way through. If I did it again I would use rivnuts into the bed, but my bolts through with washers worked fine
Rivnuts sounds like a neat option! Dumb question, but the bolts with washers have nuts on the bottom of the bed? Or are they self tappers?

PapaDave

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
Rivnuts sounds like a neat option! Dumb question, but the bolts with washers have nuts on the bottom of the bed? Or are they self tappers?
Not a dumb question, so I got flat head bolts that matched the holes on the track, they aren’t too big of a hole. Then the nuts and a big washer are under the bed. Rivnuts would mean you don’t have to have a nut and washer, but if you go the rivnut route make sure it has big flanges when it collapses so it grips securely