Simple Mistake, and hopefully some good advice.

• HTML tutorial

WAYAWAY

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
P
Member #

This has happened twice now, it's a super noob move, but I think that taller bumpstops would be the fix (that and choosing a better line).
The video shows the mistake.

BACKGROUND: I have a Gen 4 rear end in my Gen 3 4Runner. It's wider than the original. The rear is lifted about 3" with OME springs and Bilstein 5100s. I think the extra width and the lift are allowing the tire to ride up too high when I'm going through this kinda obstacle, if there was a taller bumpstop it would prevent it.. RIGHT?!

thanks.

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
A taller bumpstop would limit your up travel, and help keep the tire out of the fender. That said, ideally your tire would be able to "stuff" into the fender but with your wider rear axle that may not be possible.

Reactions: WAYAWAY

DMS1

Rank III

Advocate I

San Dimas
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Schmitz
Try pulling your emergency brake next time (just one or two clicks, not all the way), it will fool the rear end into thinking both wheels are stuck and will alternate power to each wheel getting you unstuck. I read about this in 4Wheeler magazine back in the 80s and it works.

Reactions: Boort and grubworm

trail_runn4r

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert. Colorado: Denver Area

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

This has happened twice now, it's a super noob move, but I think that taller bumpstops would be the fix (that and choosing a better line).
The video shows the mistake.

BACKGROUND: I have a Gen 4 rear end in my Gen 3 4Runner. It's wider than the original. The rear is lifted about 3" with OME springs and Bilstein 5100s. I think the extra width and the lift are allowing the tire to ride up too high when I'm going through this kinda obstacle, if there was a taller bumpstop it would prevent it.. RIGHT?!

thanks.

I'm surprised the front wheels weren't able to pull the truck forward a little bit, it doesn't look steep.

Reactions: DMS1

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
I'm surprised the front wheels weren't able to pull the truck forward a little bit, it doesn't look steep.
It's possible that the front drivers tire was unweighted and spinning as well. That could happen if the truck was balanced between the front passenger and rear driver tires.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Lockers are priceless. That's the easiest trail in the world...............until it's not.

They're about the only overlandy mod you can make that has no negative effect on your GVWR either.

Reactions: WAYAWAY

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
Bit of a bad bad line too maybe would you have been better off more to the right, looks like you could have kept that wheel on the ground.

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

A rear locker should have gotten you through that in 2WD. 4WD should have pulled you through that even with open front/rear. Do you not have a rear locker and/or not have 4WD? As for the clearance, it actually tucks the tire pretty darn close to perfectly. I'd roll those fender lips and then you'll be good to go there. Add a rear locker, and you're golden.

-TJ

Reactions: 64Trvlr

WAYAWAY

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
P
Member #

A rear locker should have gotten you through that in 2WD. 4WD should have pulled you through that even with open front/rear. Do you not have a rear locker and/or not have 4WD? As for the clearance, it actually tucks the tire pretty darn close to perfectly. I'd roll those fender lips and then you'll be good to go there. Add a rear locker, and you're golden.

-TJ
With the Gen4 rear end, it isn't an option that I have been able to find.

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
Your center locker should have gotten you through I would have thought. I have the same setup on my Discovery, CDL and open on both ends. Do you have any form of traction control ?

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

time to get a body hammer and fold the flange on the wheel well

does your TC have a 4locked plus a 4open dif?
cuz if the TC was locked both front tires should have pulled you thru
if the TC was locked, the left front tire should have been slipping too if you could not move.