Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Blaine, Minnesota, USA
First Name
Nate
Last Name
Menard
Member #

I am currently on a trip through MI with the family and taking advantage of their ORV routes as much as possible. We are running a Silverado and loaded down pretty well with gear.

The trails aren’t too technical, but there are enough dips and bumps in them to make the truck sway back and forth pretty good, even when going slow. On today’s trail we were going at around 5 mph due to the rocking.

I’m trying to figure out if this is normal for a weighed down truck, or if I should be concerned?

Attachments

flkeysmock

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor III

Joshua Tree, Ca.
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Mock
Member #

Yes! I have a pop up camper on my 2018. Installed a rear swaybar, best monies spent. $500.00 through Amazon.

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
Question 1) Have you lifted the suspension (can't really see from the photos)? The higher the CoG, the more moment, leading to lateral rocking.

Question 2) Have you upgraded the springs? Shouldn't be a big contributor, however when we modified our vehicle, adding some weight (and taking som off as well), we increased the rear spring rating.

Question 3) Are your dampers in good condition? If they need replacing this will emphasise the rocking.

I suggest making sure your suspension components are in good condition before spending money on adding anything more.

Big G

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Grants Pass, OR, USA
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Cloud
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7MZB
I am currently on a trip through MI with the family and taking advantage of their ORV routes as much as possible. We are running a Silverado and loaded down pretty well with gear.

The trails aren’t too technical, but there are enough dips and bumps in them to make the truck sway back and forth pretty good, even when going slow. On today’s trail we were going at around 5 mph due to the rocking.

I’m trying to figure out if this is normal for a weighed down truck, or if I should be concerned?
Having lived in Michigan for 20 years I'd be interested in what areas you are traveling in. I'm guessing UP: since you're from Minnesota. I also drive a Silverado albeit a lot older than yours. Your rig doesn't look top heavy so maybe it's just normal sway for the trails.

haaken675

Rank II

Enthusiast III

fl
First Name
Large
Last Name
J
If you are bouncing around a ton and not overly loaded, likely going too slow...I've driven suburban's and tahoe's off road nearly my entire life going to our cabin in quebec. Too slow on the logging roads and you feel everything and bounce around a ton. Too fast not good either, but that sweet spot in the middle on stock suspension will do it. Upgraded suspension will help

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

In my 14 Sierra 1500 z71, I get a lot of sway on pot-holed and filled city streets where the speed limit is low and there are a lot of turns and traffic lights along with the potholes. My girlfriend often (ok, VERY often) remarks how her 13 GMC Terrain Denali is a much more comfortable ride over city streets. I have to remind her it's because I can tow 2 of her car AND have all our camping gear in the back. But by truck standards, these are great riding.

Certainly my Sierra smoothens out when going down the highway, but even going along a dirt road where I can pour just a little bit of speed on, it seems to level out and respond nicely.

I liken it to riding a bicycle too slowly. It wants to go a certain speed before everything works in concert for a smooth but commanding ride, if that makes any sense

bigearlmsp

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Blaine, Minnesota, USA
First Name
Nate
Last Name
Menard
Member #

Having lived in Michigan for 20 years I'd be interested in what areas you are traveling in. I'm guessing UP: since you're from Minnesota. I also drive a Silverado albeit a lot older than yours. Your rig doesn't look top heavy so maybe it's just normal sway for the trails.
I have driven a few more trails in MN since this original question, going a bit faster this time around definitely helped with the side-to-side sway. I have yet to air down, but just purchased a compressor and I'm guessing that will add a lot more comfort to the ride as well.

Most recently we went up to St. Croix state forest and drove the trails there. Nothing too outlandish, but still fun to get out. We also drove up and did some "dispersed camping recon" in the SNF and found a couple of nice spots for late spring!