Lozzbee

Rank 0

Contributor I

Fremantle WA, Australia
First Name
Lozz
Last Name
Bee
Hi everyone , I am new to camping as a single mum but have been getting out there and making the most of it . I have a little RAV4 she does the job for me . At the moment I just have rhino racks but am wanting to put a cage or something up there as well ..
I have a foxwing270 on the left and either use my oztent rv4 or a double swag . I’m planning a trip where I will be taking both and am curious if
anyone has got the flat cargo carrier for the oztent next to their awning ?
And could I fit a half cage next to that ?
And would a double swag strap down to a cage ?
in my head that makes sense - I hope someone can visualise it

Id really like to simplify what I put in the car and get a little more on the roof so all input is appreciated .
Thanks heaps ,
Lozz

Gypsy049

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Davisville, MO, USA
First Name
Gypsy
Last Name
Albin
Member #

Service Branch
Army
I'm currently running a cargo box on one side and a skinny cage on the other will be putting my awning on soon. Without seeing the current set up I would think that a skinny cage would do but would like to see the rig before I just say what the best option would be

Lozzbee

Rank 0

Contributor I

Fremantle WA, Australia
First Name
Lozz
Last Name
Bee
Can you post some pictures of what you have now? I can do a sketch for you if I know what we're working with.
Zim
Hi ! Thankyou !
so it’s pretty basic just the racks and the awning which I sat high to get more height underneath .. I’ve just slid the oztent next to the awning up until now but would like to support it more .

Attachments

Lozzbee

Rank 0

Contributor I

Fremantle WA, Australia
First Name
Lozz
Last Name
Bee
Hi ! Thankyou !
so it’s pretty basic just the racks and the awning which I sat high to get more height underneath .. I’ve just slid the oztent next to the awning up until now but would like to support it more .
The Drifta cargo carrier for the oztent is what I’m thinking and then the skinny cage as the side rails would help me loading it .
just not sure if it would work with a double swag as well ..

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
The Drifta cargo carrier for the oztent is what I’m thinking and then the skinny cage as the side rails would help me loading it .
just not sure if it would work with a double swag as well ..
My first thought is get the full size cage or basket, then mount the awning to the side of that. That would be a more versatile setup in my opinion because you can attach or detach anything to the main roof rack/basket.
Zim

Reactions: Lozzbee

Lozzbee

Rank 0

Contributor I

Fremantle WA, Australia
First Name
Lozz
Last Name
Bee
My first thought is get the full size cage or basket, then mount the awning to the side of that. That would be a more versatile setup in my opinion because you can attach or detach anything to the main roof rack/basket.
Zim
I didn’t think of this . I had been told there could be issues with the oztent sagging if it wasn’t supported properly ?

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
I didn’t think of this . I had been told there could be issues with the oztent sagging if it wasn’t supported properly ?
Are you talking about the rain fly that comes off the front of the tent? It's sort of funny I've had to look up all these products. Everyone uses the new stuff...ahahahahahaha
I'm a 65yo scout that slept in a wall tent. LOL. A swag? That is a bivi tent. LOL. This is fun.
I'm going to do a drawing for ya, give me a few hours...or maybe a day.
Zim

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
1st sketch. Mounting plates on both sides could support anything you wanted if done correctly. That would leave the entire basket free for everything else.
Another sketch coming soon.
Zim
View attachment 213914
Wow, that's really cool to see people helping each other here. That's the spirit. Great that you take the time to make these sketches!

MadVet71

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Texas, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Harlan
Member #

Service Branch
USAF Retired
Just wanted to say that I dig set up Rav4's. I think they look really good and they are quite capable. Most definitely for camping and some exploring!

Enthusiast I

Rio Rancho, Sandoval County, New Mexico, United States
First Name
Ivan
Last Name
Fronefield
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRKE604
Service Branch
USAF Vet
So I figured since I have the rack off my truck to finish mounting the rotopax I figured I’d take some pictures. Hooke Road roof rack, vault case, with the 4 gallon gas tank and x-bull tracks. All goes on my tundra crewmax.

Attachments

Reactions: Ronanit and KAIONE

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
So I figured since I have the rack off my truck to finish mounting the rotopax I figured I’d take some pictures. Hooke Road roof rack, vault case, with the 4 gallon gas tank and x-bull tracks. All goes on my tundra crewmax.
I'll take the entire rear wall in your garage please. Holy container heaven. LOL
Zim

KAIONE

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Kanak
Last Name
Attack
Member #

Prinsu half rack on my 4Gunner; 2x 3.5fuelpaxx, 2 maxxtraxx & 2 minis, v730 hard case (44x16x6.25 interior) filled with recovery gear. Looking to fit a spare tire on there next. Safe travels everyone!

Attachments

Enthusiast I

Rio Rancho, Sandoval County, New Mexico, United States
First Name
Ivan
Last Name
Fronefield
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRKE604
Service Branch
USAF Vet
I'll take the entire rear wall in your garage please. Holy container heaven. LOL
Zim
You could say I have a container problem…the wife is constantly giving me a hard time.