Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Del Norte, CO, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Cook
Member #

I know this is short notice, but I thought some folks might want to get out for Labor Day. I am planning a trip from Villa Grove, CO over Hayden Pass. Then on to Westcliffe, CO. Head up Hermit Pass and camp. Then back out over Medano Pass to the Sand Dunes. It will be a three day trip. Open to Ideas. Just want to get out before summer is gone.

trail_runn4r

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert. Colorado: Denver Area

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

I’m not sure if you are flexible but we have a similar trip planned for a couple of weeks later!

Reactions: GetOutand4WD

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
I tried to invite you and @JDGreens and the crew, but it wouldn't let me.
Were you speaking to me? :D We had a great trip to Ouray this weekend. I hope your earlier trip was good.

As Carlo just mentioned, keep in mind that Jason's trip to the Dunes is just a couple weeks later.

I'll probably be in for at least Hermit Pass.

GetOutand4WD

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Del Norte, CO, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Cook
Member #

Were you speaking to me? :D We had a great trip to Ouray this weekend. I hope your earlier trip was good.

As Carlo just mentioned, keep in mind that Jason's trip to the Dunes is just a couple weeks later.

I'll probably be in for at least Hermit Pass.
We had a blast in Ouray and that area. Glad you had a good time too!

Labor Day weekend is all I have available so I am going to shoot for that.

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
We had a blast in Ouray and that area. Glad you had a good time too!

Labor Day weekend is all I have available so I am going to shoot for that.
Just keep in mind that the NP and Medano may be really busy on a 3 day weekend.....At least it was the last time I was there during one. It was nuts.

Are you planning to climb Hermit or just camp?

GetOutand4WD

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Del Norte, CO, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Cook
Member #

Just keep in mind that the NP and Medano may be really busy on a 3 day weekend.....At least it was the last time I was there during one. It was nuts.

Are you planning to climb Hermit or just camp?
I would like to climb/drive Hermit time permitting. Look for a spot and then find a camp on the way out. Just depends on daylight.

I know the Sand Dunes may be slammed. If we can't find a camping spot anywhere. We can goof around there for awhile and always make it back to my place. I have some acreage everyone can camp on about 50 miles away.

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

I would like to climb/drive Hermit time permitting. Look for a spot and then find a camp on the way out. Just depends on daylight.

I know the Sand Dunes may be slammed. If we can't find a camping spot anywhere. We can goof around there for awhile and always make it back to my place. I have some acreage everyone can camp on about 50 miles away.
Hi Eric, I would love to do this but we have plans to visit my daughter and grandchildren, Over Labor day weekend.
Back to work this week so, Don't think I'll be able to do much exploring until maybe Thanksgiving break.

GetOutand4WD

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Del Norte, CO, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Cook
Member #

Hi Eric, I would love to do this but we have plans to visit my daughter and grandchildren, Over Labor day weekend.
Back to work this week so, Don't think I'll be able to do much exploring until maybe Thanksgiving break.
I understand. I tried to invite you directly, but couldn't. Enjoy your time with your kids and grandkids!!

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

I understand. I tried to invite you directly, but couldn't. Enjoy your time with your kids and grandkids!!
Thanks! (You can always text me). Hope you can get a few to go. I haven't done these trails and would if we didn't already have plans.

If things don't go awry. I want to go to Utah during the first part of Thanksgiving break. Not sure if we can reserve campsites (?) For some of those iconic trails in the Canyonlands but pretty sure if they don't restrict disperse camping there will be plenty of great camping and trails to explore. Never wheeled any trails except Rim Rocker. Which I would rather bypass and drive straight out there to maximize the time I can have there. I'll be checking with John to get his take on what we should plan before doing a Rally Point.

GetOutand4WD

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Del Norte, CO, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Cook
Member #

Thanks! (You can always text me). Hope you can get a few to go. I haven't done these trails and would if we didn't already have plans.

If things don't go awry. I want to go to Utah during the first part of Thanksgiving break. Not sure if we can reserve campsites (?) For some of those iconic trails in the Canyonlands but pretty sure if they don't restrict disperse camping there will be plenty of great camping and trails to explore. Never wheeled any trails except Rim Rocker. Which I would rather bypass and drive straight out there to maximize the time I can have there. I'll be checking with John to get his take on what we should plan before doing a Rally Point.
Sounds awsome!

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
@GetOutand4WD , I'm bummed to see you cancelled this. I apologize if I didn't seem supportive. I'd really like to do this trip, but it's tough with it both starting and returning to the other side of the range.

GetOutand4WD

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Del Norte, CO, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Cook
Member #

@GetOutand4WD , I'm bummed to see you cancelled this. I apologize if I didn't seem supportive. I'd really like to do this trip, but it's tough with it both starting and returning to the other side of the range.
It's all good! My son and I are going downhill mountain biking at Angle Fire for Labor Day. Would have been fun, maybe another time!

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
It's all good! My son and I are going downhill mountain biking at Angle Fire for Labor Day. Would have been fun, maybe another time!
Have you been invited to our Telegram group? We have lots of chatter over there about trip planning..