shelter tent

• HTML tutorial

Big E

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Morganton, NC
Member #

I am interested in getting a shelter to go with my RTT. I do not want it attached to my vehicle, so free standing is what I want. I have looked at Kelty Miranda Tarps. Anyone know if these are good, or if something is better??

LostInSocal

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chino Hills, CA, US
Member #

We occasionally use a Kelty (forgot the model) free-standing, enclosed shelter mainly used for bug protection. The Kelty makes sense if we stay multi-nights at the same campsite but recently we've been moving sites daily so we're relying on the ARB awning more and more. I just purchased the ARB 3-wall room / enclosure for the awning but haven't had an opportunity to use it yet. Are you needing the shelter tent for protection from the weather or bugs?

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

I use a couple of shelter options to supplement the RTT depending on the situation. At times I'll bring the ground tent I used before I got the RTT. I'll use the REI 6 man tent for gear storage, changing room and shelter from inclement weather. I've also used our 10'x10' canopy, but it does take up a bit of space when packed.

Last year I picked up this compact canopy that looks like it takes up about the same space packed as the Kelly Mirada. At 6' tall, I'm not quite able to stand upright but my 5'5" wife has no problem and likes to use the canopy as a shelter for the camp kitchen. Set up is very quick and it is truly free-standing and can be staked in place for windy conditions.

IMG_9850.JPG