Newtonhill, Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire, UK
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
Do any members combine other interests with their overlanding.

For me I enjoy hillwalking, remote camping with or without a vehicle and diving regularly.
International overland travel obviously

I’ve also done kayaking and paragliding.
But I am particularity good at napping and drinking Guinness

Seriously though a shared interest is another way for members to meet up!IMG_6460.JPGIMG_6459.JPGIMG_6458.JPGIMG_6457.JPGIMG_6455.JPGIMG_0237.JPGIMG_6460.JPGs

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

My girlfriend does Geocaching, and we both try to explore that area with all the tracks we can find. On our bigger trips we like to find some caches as well.
My biggest interests are building Rigs in and out. I did three of my own, and three interiors. And getting better and better in it.
Next to that is the organisation of events for Dragonriders Travel and Overland Bound. And just for friends and people that I know.
I was and am a guide for people when we are on the track.

And almost forgot. I love to cook outdoor. On the campfire, grill and just in a pan.

See my FB account, You Tube channel and all my posts here at OB

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
Hunt , shoot, and fish , all over the uk i suppose they got me into landys being the shoot vehicals used by the shoots back in the 70s , then work using pickups , unimogs etc. My recent venture into camper vans has opened another door

Reactions: Polaris Overland

Stewart (Stu) Pirie

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder III

Laurencekirk, UK
Member #

Though not entirely related, I do a bit of blacksmithing/ bladesmithing when I have time. Ive made a few large tripods and hanging hooks etc for over fires for hanging pots etc,. and made fire pokers, candle holders etc. they pack down small and are good in the truck.
Also made a few bladed tools, chisels, knives, a tomahawk once. Though currently ive been playing with forging Damascus billets for making nicer looking tools.

I'm looking to make a skottle soon too, as the ones for sale are too much for the materials they are made of I feel.

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
Though not entirely related, I do a bit of blacksmithing/ bladesmithing when I have time. Ive made a few large tripods and hanging hooks etc for over fires for hanging pots etc,. and made fire pokers, candle holders etc. they pack down small and are good in the truck.
Also made a few bladed tools, chisels, knives, a tomahawk once. Though currently ive been playing with forging Damascus billets for making nicer looking tools.

I'm looking to make a skottle soon too, as the ones for sale are too much for the materials they are made of I feel.
Knives have allways been a passion Allways fancied a go at forging even bought a anvil lol. Far as i got though Check out drifter on you tube visit to japan snowpeak factory , and we let all are foundrys close

Reactions: Stewart (Stu) Pirie

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
Knives have allways been a passion Allways fancied a go at forging even bought a anvil lol. Far as i got though Check out drifter on you tube visit to japan snowpeak factory , and we let all are foundrys close
Ta for the invite , nearly bought a couple of blanks last year at peterbough LR. show he had some nice damascus I might get lost this year up north.

76_overlander

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Biarritz, France
First Name
Angus
Last Name
LastName
Member #

i love knives / learning and practicing knots even if i use bowline, trucker's hitch, butterfly and prusik knot 99% all the time / old cars and motorbikes / music (kind of a real snob about it as i love to dig things nobody really knows, i am not into mainstream radio sh*t except some classic oldies) / photography and graphic design / and so many other things - actually my tiny hobby is to get alerts when the ISS flies over my head so i can put my radio on the VHF frequency and listen to the communications from ISS to earth).

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
i love knives / learning and practicing knots even if i use bowline, trucker's hitch, butterfly and prusik knot 99% all the time / old cars and motorbikes / music (kind of a real snob about it as i love to dig things nobody really knows, i am not into mainstream radio sh*t except some classic oldies) / photography and graphic design / and so many other things - actually my tiny hobby is to get alerts when the ISS flies over my head so i can put my radio on the VHF frequency and listen to the communications from ISS to earth).
Knots have allways facinated me i use a lot in work situations and working with old school riggers ans steeple jacks knots sometimes become an integral part of jobs , I still love the look on stragers face when you throw a knot toghether and the old haymakers useually is a great conversation point

76_overlander

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Biarritz, France
First Name
Angus
Last Name
LastName
Member #

@blackntan : "fascinate" is the exact word i use - usually when talking of knots with people who could not care less. The ingenuity, i'd even say the genius of some knots, when you look at them and understand how they're made and why they lock/work, is really fascinating to me :)

Reactions: Polaris Overland