Shady people

• HTML tutorial

chuckoverland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Spokane, WA
Member #

So we headed up to priest lake. Thanks for the suggestion @Aaron Niemi ! We found a gnarly trail and a bunch of people in subarud looking for a natural waterslide up in the area. We set up camp and had a nice warm night by Lions Creek. Rained on us overnight so we slept in.
As we were airing up our tires, the last thing before heading home. An early 00's ford f-150 rolled up and a guy got out and asked if we'd seen a shady black car drive by. We hadnt, we asked why. He said someone broke into their rig and stole all their guns.
They hauled ass when they left and i was apprehensive now thinking criminals with fresh guns prowling around.
We passed the main campground at the lake and saw the f-150 pulling out, we let them pass us. Then 30 or 40 miles later in the town of priest river we passed 6 cop cars, the f-150 and an 82ish buick hoopty coupe with all their stolen goods layed out on the ground.
Im glad these people were caught, but now i want a handgun for protection.
Sad we live in this kind of world but it wont stop us enjoying whats left.

SLPNBG

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mechanicsville, Va
Member #

I keep bear spray and a Walther PPK in the tent or on me. I've never had to use either for anything except to make noise. I did once have to let it be known that the 380 was on my hip to ward off a couple two legged predators but that just meant moving my shirt.

Captain Chaos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

No
First Name
No
Last Name
No
This is why I always have a firearm with me. I’ve ran into to many tweekers in the middle of no where, let alone in Spokompton. But, the real question is: Where is the gnarly trail you speak of?

Reactions: DawgRaider

Willy G

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Every few years, of Going to a free campground in NC, we would find people similar to this. Most of the times they would have a 93 Buick LeSable and/or a Ford Ranger, 8-15 kids, and always would walk through the campground asked for plates and silverware for their kids. More than once I remember driving by their campground and seeing an older man sitting in a wheelchair for a 4 day weekend. There was nothing we could do about it, and because of NC's state laws about guns in parks we couldn't even Open Carry around camp. We would just lock everything in the tow rig. Everything good hidden way out of sight.

chuckoverland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Spokane, WA
Member #

This is why I always have a firearm with me. I’ve ran into to many tweekers in the middle of no where, let alone in Spokompton. But, the real question is: Where is the gnarly trail you speak of?
A little less than a mile before Lions Head campground on the right. It would be no problem in your Jeep though. The trail ended at a little clearing where 1 or 2 rigs could camp, but not much of a view or any water. It was a little over 5000 ft.

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, Nevada, United States
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
I am in Arizona, true land of the free and I have at least 1 gun 24/7, also got my CCW (Not required in Az for CCW as it is State constitution right to carry).....
Sad but shady people are only going to multiply....Lets face it, they most likely never really go camping (they go opportunity searching and end up sleeping on the ground.LOL) and by never really camping, they are all messed up, we all need to be camping and in nature!

Jim

Reactions: chuckoverland

Captain Chaos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

No
First Name
No
Last Name
No
A little less than a mile before Lions Head campground on the right. It would be no problem in your Jeep though. The trail ended at a little clearing where 1 or 2 rigs could camp, but not much of a view or any water. It was a little over 5000 ft.

When I get home I will send you a spot i know

chuckoverland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Spokane, WA
Member #

Reactions: Steve
S

SubeeBen

Reactions: WrightRunner

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Steve. With the greatest respect . Are you anti gun or just tired of hearing about it ? Like I said with great respect just wondering on your comment. [emoji111]️
My opinion/position has nothing to do with limiting firearms discussion. We long ago determined that some topics are decisive and can lead to endless arguing. Most forums completely disallow any discussion of politics, religion, or firearms whatsoever. We have these two threads to help members steer through the complicated maze of camping and traveling with firearms.

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

If I'm in a state where it is legal to carry a firearm, I always have one with me. When I'm headed to the wilderness I will typically bring a long-gun of some sort as well. Being out there on your own means you have to be self sufficient, that means recovery, first aid, and personal protection.

If my Xterra didn't need a new clutch, I had the chance to buy a stainless Henry in .45-70 Government - more than enough to deal with pretty much any threat out in the bush. It's still on my list of guns to purchase and it isn't one that looks at all "assaulty" despite having a much more powerful round.

armourbl

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Phoenix, AZ
Member #

Not really on topic, but Priest Lake is awesome. Did some mountain bike riding there while visiting Spokane. Very beautiful area. Wished I could have stay there longer than a day ride.

ben

Reactions: Aaron Niemi

Aaron Niemi

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Spokane, WA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Niemi
Member #

@chuckoverland Man! That's scary and creepy AF! I've never had a problem up there, but that being said I don't leave my truck alone usually unless I'm in one of the "official" campsites. Tweakers are everywhere!! I hear ya on considering a gun, I'm just not sure if that'd actually help or make the problem worse (stolen guns).

Glad you got up there though and I hope you enjoyed the area. Checkout Lucky Creek Rd next time, I don't think many people make it too far up it.

-Aaron

Reactions: chuckoverland

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
It is sad but its a reality we must live with. Has the area up there been trashed and gone down hill? Its been quite some time since I have been up that way.

Aaron Niemi

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Spokane, WA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Niemi
Member #

It is sad but its a reality we must live with. Has the area up there been trashed and gone down hill? Its been quite some time since I have been up that way.
No, I've been up there a few times in the last couple months. It's actually probably one of the cleaner dispersed camping areas.

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
Thats good, I have canoed up to upper priest a few times but havent explored the area by 4x4 much and would like to.