Rank V

Enthusiast III

Duck Range, British Columbia, Canada
First Name
Jerry
Last Name
Jones
Member #

Hey everyone, just starting our setup on our F350. Looking to put a rack on the box with a RTT. I have a full bed slide that I can trick out with all the necessities. Curious how everyone protects their stuff from the rain / dust or worse yet sticky fingers. Looking for feedback or pics.

Last edited:

69machguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Nunya, USA
First Name
Wally
Last Name
Kunz
Though newer Fords trucks are better protected from theft than previous generations, per my insurance, they're notoriously easy to steal. I had a total loss of my '05, forcing me to star anew ... costly and very frustrating. I recommend protecting your vehicle before starting the overland build. Look into Ravelco.

IMG_5013.jpeg

Last edited:

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
Everyday I see local posts on someone having some type of equipment stolen from the outside of thier rig. RTT's are a big target. I see 3-4 rigs a month stolen and found later in the woods stripped of everything.
I keep most my gear in locked Decked drawer system, I have 2 totes in the bed with batt power tools, a jack and spare fluids, this is covered with a softopper, out of sight but easily defeated.
I think the "out of sight" is important. My metro area has a homeless problem with camps everywhere. I avoid those parts of town.

MarioT'sCJResto

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor II

First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Laboy
Member #

Everyday I see local posts on someone having some type of equipment stolen from the outside of thier rig. RTT's are a big target. I see 3-4 rigs a month stolen and found later in the woods stripped of everything.
I keep most my gear in locked Decked drawer system, I have 2 totes in the bed with batt power tools, a jack and spare fluids, this is covered with a softopper, out of sight but easily defeated.
I think the "out of sight" is important. My metro area has a homeless problem with camps everywhere. I avoid those parts of town.
I'm going with my softopper for year one, with KB Voodoo Fab Rack, I might end up selling those mods over the next two years and upgrade to a RSI Smartcap Evo for that added security. I run TKSTAR GPS Trackers on my rigs for that added piece of mind.

Reactions: Jerryjones2012

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
I have a Diamondback bed cover that locks with RTT on top of that. Also, some theft deterrent nuts for the RTT. I took the backseat out of the double cab for more storage and try not to leave anything visible but even the best prevention won't stop a pro thief or determined vandal. I don't have stickers or much identifying decals, etc. so as not to provoke the far left/right radicals. I do have a college alumni decal but that doesn't usually provoke too many people...I don't guess.

Jerryjones2012

Rank V

Enthusiast III

First Name
Jerry
Last Name
Jones
Member #

I have a Diamondback bed cover that locks with RTT on top of that. Also, some theft deterrent nuts for the RTT. I took the backseat out of the double cab for more storage and try not to leave anything visible but even the best prevention won't stop a pro thief or determined vandal. I don't have stickers or much identifying decals, etc. so as not to provoke the far left/right radicals. I do have a college alumni decal but that doesn't usually provoke too many people...I don't guess.
Thank you for the insight. I agree on the decals, I have a small one that says “life is better on the farm”, but I think that’s fairly neutral for the haters. Do you find the cover keeps most of the dust out?

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
Thank you for the insight. I agree on the decals, I have a small one that says “life is better on the farm”, but I think that’s fairly neutral for the haters. Do you find the cover keeps most of the dust out?
MOST of the dust. I have used some gorilla tape over the small cracks in the bed liner. Still need to do a few more but the cover is well fitted with good rubber gaskets. That said, there is still a small amount of water (and dust) that may get through. So small it's never been a problem. The ridges on the floor of the bed channel it under most items and if there is something that could absorb water I can stack it on top. Also, I have come to utilize dry bags for some things. My boating experience lead me to use the dry bags and things like clothes, sleeping bags, food, etc., are kept from moisture and dust.

Reactions: Jerryjones2012

littledetails

Rank III

Enthusiast I

Montclair, New Jersey, United States
First Name
Jon
Last Name
G
Member #

Hey all! Guest member here about to embark on my first overland build...

For better or worse I'm splurging a bit on my rig by buying a 2021 Land Rover Defender and a RTT. I love the vehicle, but am understandably a little concerned about theft. I plan to drive the vehicle around the US on various cross-country adventures which until now I've done in a compact car. My questions are:

1) Do you think LoJack is worth it for an overland rig? Over a decade ago I had a sports car that I installed LoJack on when I lived in Los Angeles. Never had to use it thankfully, but I'm considering this as an addition to my Defender.

2) What are you guys doing to keep stuff out of sight inside the vehicle? I was planning to use a cargo cover, tinted windows, and simple dark colored cases.

3) Have you considered adding decals to your rig as a cheap deterrent? Was considering getting a NPS or USFS sticker, or a sticker indicating that the car is alarmed.

4) Thoughts on hidden kill switches?

Thanks!

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
I have a late model GM and use the "OnStar" plus the embedded anti theft system. I've looked into adding a hidden kill switch. I live in a secure area but not far from homeless camps and always keep security in mind.

Reactions: littledetails

Jerryjones2012

Rank V

Enthusiast III

First Name
Jerry
Last Name
Jones
Member #

Hey all! Guest member here about to embark on my first overland build...

For better or worse I'm splurging a bit on my rig by buying a 2021 Land Rover Defender and a RTT. I love the vehicle, but am understandably a little concerned about theft. I plan to drive the vehicle around the US on various cross-country adventures which until now I've done in a compact car. My questions are:

1) Do you think LoJack is worth it for an overland rig? Over a decade ago I had a sports car that I installed LoJack on when I lived in Los Angeles. Never had to use it thankfully, but I'm considering this as an addition to my Defender.

2) What are you guys doing to keep stuff out of sight inside the vehicle? I was planning to use a cargo cover, tinted windows, and simple dark colored cases.

3) Have you considered adding decals to your rig as a cheap deterrent? Was considering getting a NPS or USFS sticker, or a sticker indicating that the car is alarmed.

4) Thoughts on hidden kill switches?

Thanks!
Hey little details, I have found that there is a level of comfort we need to be at when it comes to theft deterrents. There are many different types out there from hidden kill switches to LoJack set ups. There is almost no way to completely stop a determined thief. Pick what is going to help you feel secure so that you can sleep at night or go for a day hike and not worry the whole time.
You are already thinking of steps to minimize the items they can look in the window and see and that’s the best step.
Don’t draw attention to your stuff and it’s less likely to be a target.

Reactions: littledetails

littledetails

Rank III

Enthusiast I

Montclair, New Jersey, United States
First Name
Jon
Last Name
G
Member #

Hey little details, I have found that there is a level of comfort we need to be at when it comes to theft deterrents. There are many different types out there from hidden kill switches to LoJack set ups. There is almost no way to completely stop a determined thief. Pick what is going to help you feel secure so that you can sleep at night or go for a day hike and not worry the whole time.
You are already thinking of steps to minimize the items they can look in the window and see and that’s the best step.
Great advice. Being able to leave my vehicle while I go on a day or overnight hike without worrying is what I'm looking for. I guess I'll just have to adopt a few of these countermeasures, use common sense, and hope for the best.

Jerryjones2012

Rank V

Enthusiast III

First Name
Jerry
Last Name
Jones
Member #

Great advice. Being able to leave my vehicle while I go on a day or overnight hike without worrying is what I'm looking for. I guess I'll just have to adopt a few of these countermeasures, use common sense, and hope for the best.
I have the same issues, I still have that little voice gnawing at me as walk away from my rig to head into the bush for the day to hike. But if we live in fear everyday we will miss out on a crap load of awesome adventures. I use a hidden kill switch so for the most part at least I have a ride home even if they snag all my stuff.

BensonSTW

Rank III

Enthusiast III

I read once up on a time ago that thieves like looking for stickers that show what could be inside the vehicle. Firearms sticker are usually on trucks with guns and expensive optics. Basically shopping advertisements. I have zero stickers on my truck. I don’t know if that helps or not. I lock my doors and camper shell. But it only keeps honest people out. Right now the biggest deterrent I have against younger thieves is the manual transmission.

smlobx

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mid Atlantic
First Name
Eddie
Last Name
Fort
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4CPL
I am in the process of building my Jeep Gladiator for extended overland travel and decided to buy an Alu-Cab canopy that has awning type doors on all 3 sides but yet is lockable. You cannot see inside very easily through the back window because I have it tinted as well.
‘I was also thinking of putting a sticker like the one below to make interested people think twice about breaking in...

826727B5-C8FB-4CB0-8045-D5AA1E372266.jpegBF819793-8551-44CF-A265-0F68F5D9A139.jpeg