• HTML tutorial

Enthusiast III

Thompson-Nicola Regional District, British Columbia, Canada
First Name
Randy
Last Name
Masters
Member #

I was out solo yesterday, checking on a firewood spot, and stupid me had zero recovery gear, so of course I got stuck. The mud was slick so I ended up off the line I was trying to take, ended up scraping the front diff on a big rock, and the rear diff was going to hang up on it. It looked clear behind the truck so I tried to back up to get a different posting to get around the rock, well I back right into a stump that was in the mud and hung up the rear axle on the shock mount. Tried a few ideas to get out, I even tried using a leaver with a block of wood to lift the back end, the log I used broke. My truck is big and heavy, so I knew if I didn’t get it out it would be a chore, so I pulled out an old truck I’ve used in the past, I used to jack the truck came with on a block of wood, it was enough to get myself out. It’s not always the best solution, or the safest but it works. I thought to video the process but I was more concerned with get out, I did a short one after explaining the situation and how I got out.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Thank you, sometimes you got to get creative to get out of a sticky situation, figured it was worth sharing.
Yep, sometimes you need to be creative. I had my life lesson about recovery gear. Stuck in the sand for six hours, 20 miles from the highway, no cell service, alone. Wont do that again.
Glad you got out ok.

Reactions: Desert Runner

EuMen77

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Miami, FL, USA
First Name
Eugenio
Last Name
Mendoza
Member #

I was out solo yesterday, checking on a firewood spot, and stupid me had zero recovery gear, so of course I got stuck. The mud was slick so I ended up off the line I was trying to take, ended up scraping the front diff on a big rock, and the rear diff was going to hang up on it. It looked clear behind the truck so I tried to back up to get a different posting to get around the rock, well I back right into a stump that was in the mud and hung up the rear axle on the shock mount. Tried a few ideas to get out, I even tried using a leaver with a block of wood to lift the back end, the log I used broke. My truck is big and heavy, so I knew if I didn’t get it out it would be a chore, so I pulled out an old truck I’ve used in the past, I used to jack the truck came with on a block of wood, it was enough to get myself out. It’s not always the best solution, or the safest but it works. I thought to video the process but I was more concerned with get out, I did a short one after explaining the situation and how I got out.

Good tip, thanks

Will keep it in mind