Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bainbridge Island, WA, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Stipe
Member #

I am taking the family on drive down to Redwood National Forest for spring break. Looking to spend time hiking and seeing the sights on foot, but was wondering if there were any suggestions for a overland trail that would take us off the beaten path for a day of the trip. This will be my first trip in the new 4runner pulling the trailer. Any guidance is welcome.

Last edited:

David C Gibbs

Rank VI

Member III

Boise, Idaho
First Name
David
Last Name
Gibbs
Member #

I am taking the family on drive down to Redwood National Forest for spring break. Looking to spend time hiking and seeing the sights on foot, but was wondering if there were any suggestions for a overland trail that would take us off the beaten path for a day of the trip. This will be my first trip in the new 4runner pulling the trailer. Any guidance is welcome.
In addition to the National Forest, there are two State Forest & Parks en route to Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park, Both Jedediah Smith Redwood State Park & Del Norte Coast Redwoods State Park are worth the detour. We spent lots of time up in that area in the 80's early 90's... There are Elk, Racoons, and Bears within this Park. Another detour is up the Klamath River and Smith River roads. In fact I would exit 101 South, take SR 197 down the Smith River to Jedediah Smith State Park, the double back to 101 South, via SR199.
DCG

RS Overlander

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Stipe
Member #

Thanks. Great advice. I am hoping to get some fishing on the Smith in during the trip. We will definitely head that way.
I haven't completly decided the route through OR yet. I am thinking that staying flexible based on the weather will be a good idea. That said I am leaning towards going thru Grants Pass to the coast.

David C Gibbs

Rank VI

Member III

Boise, Idaho
First Name
David
Last Name
Gibbs
Member #

I haven't completly decided the route through OR yet. I am thinking that staying flexible based on the weather will be a good idea. That said I am leaning towards going thru Grants Pass to the coast.
Running down the I-5 to Grants Pass is the fastest way to Calif, US Route 199 from Grants Pass takes to right to Jedediah Smith State Park, before you reach the 101 going South. All the State and National Forests are below this point. A great day trip is to take the Road from Orick to Weitchpee, and travel the Klamath River road back to 101.

RS Overlander

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Stipe
Member #

Running down the I-5 to Grants Pass is the fastest way to Calif, US Route 199 from Grants Pass takes to right to Jedediah Smith State Park, before you reach the 101 going South. All the State and National Forests are below this point. A great day trip is to take the Road from Orick to Weitchpee, and travel the Klamath River road back to 101.[/QUOTE

Thanks for the suggestion. This looks like a great drive.