Local Expert, Arkansas USA

Experimenter II

Ozark Arkansas
First Name
Mason
Last Name
Berry
Member #

Has anyone ever done a seat swap for more comfort? I was trying to see if it was possible to swap an XJ seat for a more long haul friendly seat. I'm not sure its even possible, but worth a shot asking.

Big Red Ripper

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Nebraska, USA
First Name
Heath
Last Name
Rippentrop
Member #

Has anyone ever done a seat swap for more comfort? I was trying to see if it was possible to swap an XJ seat for a more long haul friendly seat. I'm not sure its even possible, but worth a shot asking.
Have not done it myself yet, but know others who have. The ZJ and some WJ had the same (or very close) mounting holes on the seats themselves. You would need to reuse the tracks from the XJ on the ZJ seat.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/zj-seat-swap-233289/

Here is a pretty decent write up of the swap. Hope this helps.

BlueLineOverland

Local Expert, Arkansas USA

Experimenter II

Ozark Arkansas
First Name
Mason
Last Name
Berry
Member #

Welding Goats

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Midland, TX, USA
First Name
Ronn
Last Name
Reeger
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRXB227
Are you wanting to swap out to aftermarket seats or to a different make/model/year seat out of something else?

JungleSkunk

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

If you have a welder and minor fabricating skills almost any seat can be swapped in with some limitations. The hard part is getting the sliders and such to work correctly on oem style seats without adding aftermarket or custom sliders.

I like the Corbeau "racing" style seats with harness's but it does require a little work to get them in some vehicles. Corbeau makes a custom seat bracket sliders specific to your model which makes it a little easier.

https://corbeau.com/master-seat-brackets

Last edited:

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

I swapped a pair of Hyundai Tiburon seats into my XJ. I had already made the same swap in my TJ & LJ so I was pretty sure they would work. The original seats in my TJ were in rough shape. Reupholstering them would have been costly. Seat covers would have been less expensive but I didn't find anything I liked and that fit well (although some do). I wandered around a junk yard until I found something I liked and bought a pair of Tiburon seats for $100. I've since got them for as little as $70 CDN for a pair. The ones I've bought have been from cars from about 2000 to 2005 but I'm sure others would work.

They are a combination of leather and vinyl and they are VERY comfortable. I've put a lot of miles on these in 3 different Jeeps. They also come in fabric if that's what you prefer. I've only found non-power seats and that's fine with me. Seat heaters were an option but I have not found any. I have since put a set of Dorman seat heaters (Pt. # 628-040) and it was an easy job.

Here they are in my XJ.

This is from my LJ but it's basically the same as what I did in my XJ. In the XJ I used the original sliders. For some reason the Tiburon sliders fit better in the TJ & LJ. I made simple 1/4" flat bar brackets and used grade hardware (not what's shown in this pic). I could have welded them together but there really was no need to.

Here's what they look like from the rear in my TJ.

If your XJ is a 4 door you will have a lot more options. Mine is a 2 dr. so I wanted seats that folded forward. Seats from a small 2 seater worked well.

Last edited: