Traveler III

Somerset. United Kingdom
First Name
Bjorn
Last Name
Whistance
Member #

Hi there,
I’m heading up to Scotland in December (hoping for some snow). Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations of things to see or roads to drive. I know there are a number of gravel forest roads so if there are some good ones please let me know. Sadly the forestry commission ones all close to vehicles on Oct 31st.
My route so far is Bristol-Applecross to visit my sister for a few days and while we are there travelling further up to the Braemore Estate on Loch Broom, Ullapool for a bit of family history searching.
Then from Applecross- Isle of Skye for three days (not planned what to do there yet)
Isle of Skye - Loch Ness
Loch Ness - Cairngorm National Park and visit Loch Morlich and the green lochan.

So any ideas around these areas would be great.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

snowcat

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Aberdeenshire, Scotland
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Stone
Member #

Bjorn,

There are many intresting roads. Very few offload unless you have Estate/landowners permission. You are right that the Forestry Commission tracks will probably be closed.

In addition to the NC500, some of my favorites for touring are:

A819 - East Side of Loch Awe
A82 Glen Coe - classic especilally in poor weather.
Glen Etive Road off Glen Coe Road - common for camping
Applecross - Bealach Na Ban - highest uk pass (alpine switchbacks)

If you get a rough route then I can advise some of the ones to look at in those areas.

Regards,

Mike

Bjorn

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Somerset. United Kingdom
First Name
Bjorn
Last Name
Whistance
Member #

Bjorn,

There are many intresting roads. Very few offload unless you have Estate/landowners permission. You are right that the Forestry Commission tracks will probably be closed.

In addition to the NC500, some of my favorites for touring are:

A819 - East Side of Loch Awe
A82 Glen Coe - classic especilally in poor weather.
Glen Etive Road off Glen Coe Road - common for camping
Applecross - Bealach Na Ban - highest uk pass (alpine switchbacks)

If you get a rough route then I can advise some of the ones to look at in those areas.

Regards,

Mike
Thanks Mike. I will get a rough route planned out over the next few days and post it:)

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Scotty lock

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Lockerbie, scotland
Member #

Well if your passing lockerbie over a weekend.feel free to pop in for a coffee at mine. Only around at weekends as I work away through the week. Have a few days off over Xmas and new year too.