Launch Member

Creator III

Wallasey, Wirral. UK
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Burt
Member #

Hi guys, I've just started planning a Scandinavian trip - with a slight difference for 2020.
UK - Netherlands - Germany - Denmark - Sweden - Norway - Sweden - Norway - Finland - Estonia - Latvia - Lithuania - Belarus - Poland - Germany - Netherlands - UK
Current rough route is 4500 km in roughly 4 weeks

Already have a few "must do" locations - Oresund Bridge & tunnel, Atlantic Road and tunnel, Arctic Circle Centre, Nord Kapp but would love to hear from you guys what places should not be missed.

nickburt

Rank VII
Launch Member

Creator III

Wallasey, Wirral. UK
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Burt
Member #

We've had a bit of a re-think and looking to shorten the trip a bit to make it easier in the 4 weeks we have.
So it's now looking like - UK - Netherlands - Germany - Denmark - Sweden - Norway - Finland - Sweden - Denmark - Germany - Netherlands - UK.

Pity there's no ferry from UK to Denmark any more, unless someone can point me in a direction the internet doesn't know about - the Harwich to Esbjerg was closed long ago.
Having to go to via Rotterdam uses up a couple of days of the trip before really get started.

Joey83

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Joachim
Last Name
Sandven
Member #

Let me know when and I'll meet up with you guys @nickburt

Would love to visit the Atlantic Road, Arctic Circle Centre, Nord Kapp as it's been a goal of mine for a few years.

Joey83

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Joachim
Last Name
Sandven
Member #

What's the deal with the single pin on the southwestern part of Norway? :)

nickburt

Rank VII
Launch Member

Creator III

Wallasey, Wirral. UK
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Burt
Member #

What's the deal with the single pin on the southwestern part of Norway? :)
It was somewhere that was suggested as a place to visit, but at the moment, adds too much distance into the trip, given the location of other places of interest that we have. But left there for possible future reference.

Joey83

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Joachim
Last Name
Sandven
Member #

Send me a message when the time comes and I'll tag along for a while on the trip, if you guys don't mind.

Reactions: nickburt

QCNR

Rank 0

Traveler I

Stavanger
First Name
Q
Last Name
R
Don't miss the SW of Norway lots to see there, Bergen, Røldal, Haukeliseter, Stavanger, Pulpit Rock, Kjerag. Then you must also visit Lofoten in the North is a must. Keep us updated and we could have a meet up when you eventually get here.

nickburt

Rank VII
Launch Member

Creator III

Wallasey, Wirral. UK
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Burt
Member #

We've had a get together and put some more detail to the route, including some ideas for camp sites.
We know we are missing a lot, but with the limited time of 4 weeks, we just can't get to everywhere we would like to and keep the daily distances down to a reasonable amount. Too much driving per day will mean we don't have time to stop and enjoy the scenery or places to spend some time.
This is still under development and will probably change again before we go, but for now, this is what we have:
Google Map

nickburt

Rank VII
Launch Member

Creator III

Wallasey, Wirral. UK
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Burt
Member #

Thanks @Joey, would be good to meet you and any others who can join up for a few days perhaps.

At the moment, we're thinking of mid June to mid July. I originally wanted to go in September/October, but some of our group can't get holiday for September, so our alternative is June/July. We also have discussed Northern Lights vs Midnight Sun - we can't have both I guess, so our timing is maybe not best for the Northern Lights, but good for the Midnight Sun.
How much of a problem is midges or mosquitoes - is there a time of year that should be avoided? In some websites I've read that they can be a problem at that time of year, others say there is no problem.