DeSoto County, Mississippi, United States
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Kephart
Member #

Service Branch
Navy
Does anyone know of anything the check out in Savannah Georgia. The wife and I are thinking of making a trip that direction in January. I’ll have a few free days and we thought it might be a spot to go since neither of us have ever been there.

AdventureWithDanan

Local Expert, Florida USA
Investor

Pathfinder II

Safety Harbor, FL, USA
First Name
Danan
Last Name
Coleman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W3AWD
Service Branch
CERT
I recall driving by a animal preserve of some sort north of the city. I never went in, but you could check that out.

RootedWanderers

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Pelham, Alabama 35124
First Name
Wayne
Last Name
Sullivan
Member #

Bonaventure Cemetery is beautiful to walk through and see all the old stones and the Spanish moss everywhere... There are some really old graves in there. I can spend hours walking through there taking pictures. There are tons of walking tours you can take too. You have the big lighthouse on Tybee Island too.

Silverback_WK2

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler I

Tontitown, AR
Member #

I used to live in Savannah. Savannah is a tourist town with a few cool historic things to see. Good food everywhere, though.
After dark, forget it. Take guns, extra ammo and a flak vest.
Another guy with a Grand Cherokee lives there, he may have more info for you.

If it were me, go south to Cumberland Island. Way cooler and less violent locals.

Reactions: Ichibahn

ovrlnd_escape

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

First Name
Matt
Last Name
Kephart
Member #

Service Branch
Navy
I used to live in Savannah. Savannah is a tourist town with a few cool historic things to see. Good food everywhere, though.
After dark, forget it. Take guns, extra ammo and a flak vest.
Another guy with a Grand Cherokee lives there, he may have more info for you.

If it were me, go south to Cumberland Island. Way cooler and less violent locals.
Copy that! Sounds like ground zero for the purge!! We were just thinking a trip with a little warmer weather would be good in January.

My brother lives out there. I'll check with him and see what he suggests. What sort of stuff are you looking to do? I do know there's some old forts to check out. Some island with some Spanish fort ruins iirc, and pigs. I believe you have to have a boat to get out there though. Plenty of historic stuff to check out.

Oh, and if you like old books there is a used book store called Books on Bay. Lot of good stuff in there.

ovrlnd_escape

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

First Name
Matt
Last Name
Kephart
Member #

Service Branch
Navy
My brother lives out there. I'll check with him and see what he suggests. What sort of stuff are you looking to do? I do know there's some old forts to check out. Some island with some Spanish fort ruins iirc, and pigs. I believe you have to have a boat to get out there though. Plenty of historic stuff to check out.

Oh, and if you like old books there is a used book store called Books on Bay. Lot of good stuff in there.
Thanks for the info

Thanks for the info
He gave me a few things for you to look into. Just make sure to check whether things are open before you go.
Fort Pulaski
Skidaway Island State Park
Oatland Island Wildlife Center
Harris Neck National Wildlife Refuge
Blackbeard Island National Wildlife Refuge

There's lots of other historic sites you can look up, trolley tours, Forsythe park, graveyard tours, etc.

From what he's heard there's not really any off road trails to ride in the area anymore. Just a few spots on private land.

ovrlnd_escape

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

First Name
Matt
Last Name
Kephart
Member #

Service Branch
Navy
He gave me a few things for you to look into. Just make sure to check whether things are open before you go.
Fort Pulaski
Skidaway Island State Park
Oatland Island Wildlife Center
Harris Neck National Wildlife Refuge
Blackbeard Island National Wildlife Refuge

There's lots of other historic sites you can look up, trolley tours, Forsythe park, graveyard tours, etc.

From what he's heard there's not really any off road trails to ride in the area anymore. Just a few spots on private land.
Thanks for all the info. We’re probably gonna head down there and explore for sure. Maybe even head down the coast towards Daytona